I live in a basement apartment in State College, PA (home of Penn State). I cannot talk on my storm without dropping the call and data is off and on. When I'm outside of my apartment I almost always have full bars and full EVDO. I had some friends up a few weeks ago and they both had iPhones and their phones worked perfectly in my apartment. Do you think it's just the Storm's radio sucks or Verizon is weaker than AT&T? Because of PSU there are tons of radio towers so I'm not sure, any thoughts?
    07-28-09 06:15 PM
    What OS is your phone running on? Could be a dead spot for Verizon though they are almost always better than AT&T it is possible. I don't think it's the Storm's radio unless you are on some old OS.
    07-28-09 06:20 PM
    Invite a friend over that's got Verizon and check out their reception.
    07-28-09 06:26 PM
    I was running 5.0 but just downgraded because for some reason the "go" button on the browser wasn't working. It is now, back on 4.7...148
    07-28-09 06:27 PM
    OK, .148 is OK, I like .151 better. Did you go into the Radio settings and take it off automatic and swtich it to 1XEV only? When you say full EVDO I assume you see 1XEV on you phone. Do you see that in the apartment as well?
    07-28-09 06:33 PM
    No, It's on auto, and yes that's what I see on the phone. It's everywhere on my phone in the apartment. It will go from 1XEV down to D sometimes.
    07-28-09 07:02 PM
    click only 1XEV you dont need gsm there may help the placebo effect... my battery seems to last a little longer with the gsm off
    07-28-09 07:12 PM
    I saw the opposite.. went camping in the middle of Wisconsin last week and my brother in law's iphone got no signal whatsoever, while I had one to two bars.
    07-28-09 07:57 PM
    It's likely not the reception in your vicinity, if you are getting full bars right outside. I find the radio has a hard time going through certain walls and especially underground. At my friend's condo, I get no reception in the underground parking but get 3 bars on the first floor.

Walk around the room and try to find certain hot spots where the reception is greatest.
    07-28-09 08:05 PM
    gsm has especially att has a better service than verizon cdma hopfully when lte comes everything will be better
    07-28-09 08:07 PM
    Well my frient has T Mobile and her phone doesn't work either, or upstairs in the regular apartments (but their service is horrible). I feel like it just might be the storm does have trouble get through the walls here, which are very thick stones walls, because I had a Q before this and a whole list of razr, krazrs, etc etc and they all worked fine. Thanks for everyone's help... I'll try turning the auto off.
    07-28-09 09:47 PM
    I think it's the Storm's radio. There are tons of places where my Curve will have a full 3G signal and my Storm will be struggling to hold 1XEV with 1 or two bars. My Curve hardly ever drops a call anywhere even when it shows almost no signal, in those same places, my Storm will consistently drop calls.
    07-28-09 09:57 PM
    easiest way to find out, find a Verizon phone, take it to the problem spot. have service? storm issue. no service? not a storm issue
    07-28-09 10:00 PM
    When was the last time you did a PRL update? If you have not done one in a while, dial *228 then option 2, see if that will help. Also jdmoore81, LTE has nothing to do with voice, only data.
    08-02-09 01:02 PM
    i have been having a ton of issues with my storm i went from .141 to 148 since i update i have the same problem my calls dont work right unless i got 3 plus bars and the signal strength is always fluctuating among many more i would try the 151 os i heard thats good im trying to get that now but i cant find any links that work
    08-02-09 01:47 PM
    What apartment complex in psu if you don't mind my asking as I go there and have never had any reception problems in basements or anywhere even forum building

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-02-09 02:23 PM
    It's a really old building up on Park Ave, I think it's just this building because I have class in basements of some buildings and the phone works fine.
    08-13-09 11:11 PM
    More than likely it's probably because the foundation of the building is stone, because it's so old, and it's extremely thick. I'm pretty sure the outside wall of my apartment is 3 feet thick.
    08-13-09 11:12 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD