Can someone answer a question for me? The 1GB of on-board memory on the S1; what exactly is saved or what is this memory for. The 128MB flash is for app memory I assume and there's also 192MB of memory which I assume is the horsepower for the device. Advance thanks for anyone that can give me that picture.
    11-27-09 08:01 AM
    The 1GB is for media. ie. pictures, ring tones, movies, etc.
    11-27-09 08:15 AM
    Sorry SK1, you are wrong. about 75 mb are used for the operating system. Another 40-50 mb are used for application memory. The other 860-870 mb stay open for phone/computer use(?). All of your media files(videos, pics, music and ringtones), are saved on your 8 gb media card. Hope this helps.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-27-09 08:54 AM
    Sorry SK1, you are wrong. about 75 mb are used for the operating system. Another 40-50 mb are used for application memory. The other 860-870 mb stay open for phone/computer use(?). All of your media files(videos, pics, music and ringtones), are saved on your 8 gb media card. Hope this helps.

My apologies that I over shot by 154MB.
    11-27-09 08:58 AM

SK1 is actually correct... The 1GB is used for media items as well. Your SD card provides additional storage for these items.
    11-27-09 12:19 PM
    But placing media and such on the device memory slows the phone way down.
    11-27-09 12:47 PM

yeahh all your media doesnt need to be saved onto your media card. It can be saved to the device memory.
    11-27-09 01:49 PM
    Isnt Storm1 and memory an oxymoron? but seriously folks, as I look at my memory screen I see free app space of 38.6MB and thats ok, but then I look at Device memory and see 879.2MB total space and 864.3MB free and wonder wtf RIM I am only using 14.9MB???? do I really need so much extra device memory and so little app memory? How bout meeting me half way or something. How about giving me the option of running apps off of the SD card. security or not, I should have the option. BES can add a policy blocking it but BIS should have the option if wanted.
    K, im done here
    11-27-09 02:58 PM
    Isnt Storm1 and memory an oxymoron? but seriously folks, as I look at my memory screen I see free app space of 38.6MB and thats ok, but then I look at Device memory and see 879.2MB total space and 864.3MB free and wonder wtf RIM I am only using 14.9MB???? do I really need so much extra device memory and so little app memory? How bout meeting me half way or something. How about giving me the option of running apps off of the SD card. security or not, I should have the option. BES can add a policy blocking it but BIS should have the option if wanted.
    K, im done here
    I agree.. I'm only using 9BM of device memory... App memory is the only complaint I have with this phone...
    11-27-09 04:00 PM
    I agree.. I'm only using 9BM of device memory... App memory is the only complaint I have with this phone...
    That was the major reason why I now have the Storm 2. Ironically I miss the Storm 1....
    11-27-09 05:34 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD