Hi I'm new to Blackberry phones. My son is wanting the Storm for Christmas. I went to the Verizon store and I am not eligible to upgrade his phone yet. The price of the phone would be 650$ since it is not eligible for an upgrade. This seems a little outrageous but I want to get my son something good. So, basically what im asking is...is this phone worth this kind of money?!
    12-08-08 04:49 PM
    In my opinion, I wouldn't. The Storm is very slow in loading applications. And if your son is an avid texter- he would need to slow down a little because you CAN out type the Storm. Now, something like the Pearl with the buttons? You can't. As fast as he can type, it will type. The storm though has the best camera and video camera of any Blackberry, but that alone should not be the reason of buying him such an expensive phone..

I say no..

B
    12-08-08 05:01 PM
    I love my storm, but I would not pay $650 for it.
    12-08-08 05:03 PM
    I love my storm as well, but $650 plus the additional data charges every month is something only you can determine as feasible for your son.

I think with the newest software, this monster is acting like it should have since launch, it is gorgeous in resolution, weighs about as much as my ipod touch, has great reception and call quality, and I love the open ended build of it.

Its a winner, but is it worth $500 (thats full retail tag for this device , I dont know where they got 650 from, they are probably trying to bundle you , you can buy the storm at 500 with no rebate full retail ) plus the additional 30 bucks on your bill every month.

I know if you did get him one, your one cool Dad !!
    12-08-08 05:06 PM
    I wouldn't pay full price for any cell phone. If you can't get it through a new contract then wait for it to fall in price or add another line for it so you get the new activation price.
    12-08-08 05:09 PM
    How old is your son? I'm sorry but if was younger he would not get $650 anything. He is older he needs to buy his own.

I think the phone is great but no phone is $650 great when others are paying 199.

BTW Are you looking to adopt, I need a new truck

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-08-08 05:11 PM
    Do you have any other lines with Verizon that are eligible for an upgrade? If so, you can upgrade that line to get the hardware, then call Verizon and have them swap the numbers around so that the phone ultimately gets assigned to your son's number.

I paid the full retail price for my phone (I don't think I paid $650 though... I'm not sure how the rep is coming up with that number for you), but I agree with the previous poster who said that the full retail price is not really something you pay for a gift regardless of your son's age (unless your family is really loaded and $650 is a pretty typical price range for a gift).
    12-08-08 05:22 PM
    IMO yes. However the price is a little high. If I remember right the price with no contract was 499 right from verizon and 599 from best buy. If you could add a line that is one option. Or you could cancel a line which would run up to $175 depending on when your contract is up and then you could get the storm for the $199 price which would still be well under the full retail price. Just a few options. Good luck, he wouldnt be dissapointed with the phone.
    12-08-08 05:27 PM
    Thanks to all who have replied. Very much appreciated.
    12-08-08 05:29 PM
    I think it depends on the person!
    If you don't "need" it then no just wait.
    I personally will be paying for the storm. it was gonna cost me 599 plus tax (15%) BUT we are doing an upgrade on my husbands phone which will give me 300 off the 599. price then a triangle exchange. so it works out for the best.

good luck in what you decide.
    12-08-08 05:32 PM
    I would not pay $650 for the storm, or any phone for that matter.
    No, it's definitely not worth that kind of money. Besides,
    If he's like most teens still being supported, he'll want the
    next hot phone before the contract even expires on this one.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-08-08 05:33 PM
    Do you have any other lines with Verizon that are eligible for an upgrade? If so, you can upgrade that line to get the hardware, then call Verizon and have them swap the numbers around so that the phone ultimately gets assigned to your son's number.

I paid the full retail price for my phone (I don't think I paid $650 though... I'm not sure how the rep is coming up with that number for you), but I agree with the previous poster who said that the full retail price is not really something you pay for a gift regardless of your son's age (unless your family is really loaded and $650 is a pretty typical price range for a gift).
    AKA- "ALTERNATE UPGRADE" and you dont need to do an ESN change unless of course you're other lines are only up for an "ANNUAL UPGRADE" then you'd have to upgrade> recieve discount> ESN swap back to your original ESN> Wait till christmas> *228 from Storm> Option 3> plug in sons phone number> Storm active to his number
    12-08-08 05:39 PM
    No.

If your son likes cool tech gadgets like phones and what not...$650 can get you a lot of cool stuff. $200, not so much, but $650 can.

$650 can get you a PS3 with tons of nice Blu Rays to watch...or a couple iPod Touches...just in case one is lost or breaks.
    12-08-08 05:42 PM
    It's a cool phone and your son will love it. You can always try eBay, that's where my 2nd Storm will be.
    12-08-08 05:49 PM
    $650.00!!? Sorry no. Tell your son to go half on it, if he really wants it. Make him rake some leaves while your at it.
    12-08-08 05:51 PM
    Definitely not worth $650. Not even worth $325.

$150 - $200 sounds right.
    12-08-08 05:54 PM
    Like many have said...it's totally worth it...but not for $650...
    12-08-08 08:05 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD