I am a brand new Blackberry user. I received my Storm today and I have been playing with it for hours. So far I am very happy with the device. It is working great.

I have been having trouble with the Blackberry Desktop software. First, I was unable to get it working on my laptop. I was using the installation CD and kept getting the "Unable to register... GW.dll" error. I tried the numerous fixes found on the Crackberry forums and other sites to no avail. My Storm is recognized by Vista and I can open the phone and the media card (though there are no folders/files) but the desktop manager does not detect the phone.

So, I decided to try installing the software on my desktop. I did not think that I needed the media manager which seems like an overly complex and bloated application so I opted to downloaded v4.7 without media manager from the Blackberry website. It installed perfectly on my desktop with no errors and my phone was detected right away.

Now I wanted to get some of the pictures I took with the Storm camera onto my PC to see how they turned out. There doesn't seem to be any way to do this without the media manager software! When I open the media card on my PC there are no files or folders even though I have my pictures saved to the media card in the phone.

Reluctantly I downloaded Desktop Manager 4.7 with media manager and this is where the real problems started. When I ran the EXE I selected "Uninstall". It got about half way through and completely locked up. I had to force it to quit from the task manager. I tried running the EXE again and it seemed to work. I completed the task without error. I then proceeded to install the Desktop Manager with media manager. It got most of the way through and locked up. I rebooted and tried again... Same thing. So now it is not installed (according to Windows) and it will not install. I'm stuck. Is the Blackberry software really this buggy? I expected better. Is there any way to get files off the device without using their software?

I am running Vista SP1 on both my laptop and Desktop.
    12-27-08 10:27 PM
    Go back to the version with no media manager.
    On your BB, go to options>memory>set media card support on, encryption off, mtp on, mass storage support on, and auto enable mass storage to yes.
    When you hook up to your pc, your BB should show as 2 thumb drives, one is internal memory, one is your card.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-27-08 10:40 PM
    Thank you very much for the reply. The � auto mass storage � option was what I needed. I'm installing the other version now.

Now I just wish there was a way to sync with Windows Live calendar. Any hope for that in the future�

12-27-08 11:00 PM
    Got me on that one. Thunderbird would be nice too.
    It's a victory of sorts for the internal memory to be accessible on storms, on the lesser BB's . Media manager is the only option.
    Which sux badly.

12-27-08 11:15 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD