Whenever i try to connect my storm to my computer it shows that it is connected in the desktop manager, but when i try to put music on it doesnt even show that the device is connected and when i try the media sync it can't even connect to the device.
    This has happened to me around the time that i upgraded to .151 and higher or when i had to get a new storm about a month ago from verizon because the last one broke.
    09-15-09 12:34 PM
    first off to check the mass storage settings in Options>memory
    make sure thats on
    next try a battery pull
    if those fail maybe you should wipe and reload your os
    personally mines been running flawlessly except for a bit of odd home screen effects on .167
    09-15-09 01:00 PM
    thanks!
    i found the solution a little after i posted this.
    09-15-09 01:10 PM
    hey kelly. what was the solution you found? im having the same problem after getting my new refurb.. storm. id appreciate the help.
    09-27-09 02:22 PM
    I've encountered this before as well but it was due to power management to the USB ports. You can check out the settings in Device Manager in Windows and make sure they aren't set to turn off to save power. Just a thought if you run into this.
    09-27-09 02:29 PM
    Cromedome, I think Kelly didn't enable mass storage on the device, which might be different that your problem if you DID enable it and still can't connect to your PC via USB. VZW issued many phones all collectively afflicted with this specific issue. I took a poll a few months back and most of the phones afflicted with this issue were all recently reissued refurbs, including my own.

The good news is there's a 'once and done' permanent fix!

Mass Storage issues? (Here's the fix) - Discussed in BlackBerry Multimedia forum - PinStack.com - Smartphone Professionals Alliance.

1) Download the attachment from the above link to your desktop (you'll have to register at pinstack)
    2) Unzip it and run "BB Storage Activation new" in the unzipped folder. It will mention something about a boot rom.
    3) Connect your phone to your computer via USB. DOS window should indicate it found your phone and will initiate the fix
    4) Phone will reboot automatically. Disconnect the phone.
    5) When phone fully boots up again, reconnect. You should now see the two drives in windows explorer (assuming mass storage is enabled on your phone).

About the fix.

The file from pinstack is a RIM command line programmer. The 'fix' essentially enables mass storage mode via DOS command line when the phone is plugged in via USB.

The conventional way of doing this is via the front end of the OS: options / memory / Mass Storage Mode Support -> ON, however for some reason, some phones don't seem to be recognizing mass storage mode despite the proper setting on this screen.

Once you go through the above fix, your phone functions properly (can go in and out of mass storage via the OS) and the file is no longer needed.
    Last edited by mikestorm; 09-27-09 at 06:20 PM.
    09-27-09 06:13 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD