I feel like I'm missing something since this is my first BB and I've only had it for a few weeks.

I have this "pouch":

and my phone will not automatically lock the screen when I put the phone in the holster. I have a password set and I've enabled the setting "Lock Handheld Upon Holstering" under menu Options -> Password.

I can't see any other setting that would affect this condition. Any help?

TIA
    Last edited by lackskill; 04-29-09 at 05:55 PM.
    04-21-09 12:06 PM
    What is the name of the holster and where did you get it? I have never had a problem with mine but not all holsters will put the phone in a sleep mode. I assuming you have a holster which doesn't put a BB in sleep mode.
    04-21-09 12:11 PM
    it depends on where the magnet is located.
    For the Storm I think the magnet needs to be located near the middle.
    I got two belt pouches, one puts the phone to sleep and the other does not.
    Somejuan who knows more about the storm and how it and other BB can look into this more.
    04-21-09 12:36 PM
    I believe the holster needs to have some sort of magnet to enable the automatic lock. Not all holsters have that.
    04-21-09 12:37 PM
    I believe the holster needs to have some sort of magnet to enable the automatic lock. Not all holsters have that.
    Yes, without a magnet in the proper place, the phone will not know it is holstered.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-21-09 12:41 PM
    Sorry, I should have posted the name of the holster. I got a little flustered when I couldn't post an image.

It's the BlackBerry Leather Pocket Pouch for the Storm. It does have a magnet. It's located near the bottom of the phone around the buttons.
    04-21-09 01:16 PM
    Are you putting it into the case/holster correctly?
    04-21-09 01:50 PM
    Are you putting it into the case/holster correctly?
    It'd be awfully handy for me to be able to post a picture right now...

I'm using it the same way that it's pictured everywhere I've seen a picture of it. The silver BB logo is near the top of the screen which puts the magnet almost over the menu/back buttons.
    04-21-09 01:56 PM
    3 day bump.

At this rate I'll be able to post pics in about a month.
    04-24-09 05:53 PM
    Any more help?
    04-27-09 05:06 PM
    you have to line the magnet up with the sensor on the phone. magnet should be towards the send/end button, facing inwards towards the battery. curious, but have you tried to use the phone in another case to see if its not the phone that is the problem? maybe the sensor is bad...
    04-27-09 05:11 PM
    The magnet seems to line up.

I don't have another case, but I might be able to try it on another phone.

Thanks for the help.
    04-27-09 05:17 PM
    Tried it on another phone last night. No go.

I'm having trouble understanding how it wouldn't work. How do you screw up a magnet? The magnet could have been put in backward, if the phone were even dependent upon polarity, but I've tried the other side of the magnet. The magnet could be in the wrong position, so it won't line up with the sensor, but how can the phone be that sensitive to position?

I'd hate to have to waste another $20+ on another holster, especially if that's not the problem.
    04-29-09 10:21 AM
    Is that the only holstered function that doesn't work correctly? Do you have it set to vibrate when in the holster and does that work?

Are you saying that you tried that same holster on another BB (which model) and it still didn't put it to sleep? If that's the case I would definitely go to a store and test holsters until you found one that works. That way you can be sure it is the holster and not the phone - or both.
    04-29-09 10:33 AM
    Is that the only holstered function that doesn't work correctly? Do you have it set to vibrate when in the holster and does that work?

Are you saying that you tried that same holster on another BB (which model) and it still didn't put it to sleep? If that's the case I would definitely go to a store and test holsters until you found one that works. That way you can be sure it is the holster and not the phone - or both.
    I haven't tested any of the other functions because I have everything else set the same whether it's holstered or not. I'll give it a whirl when I have time, but the phone doesn't seem to recognize that it's holstered at all.

I tried this holster on another Storm and the same exact thing happened. Nothing.

Thanks. I'll see if I can make it to a Verizon store this weekend and see if they'll let me try some holsters.

Is it common for holsters to not work?
    04-29-09 04:21 PM
    I have the otterbox with the holster, and the magnet is located on the holster dead center on the storms screen, and I know for a fact it goes into holster mode cuz a) it shuts the heck up and vibrates prior to ringing, and b) when I receive a new email while it is holstered when take it out, it flips right to the most recently received email.

I would guess that the folks who are saying the magnet must be centered are the ones that are right... Also may want to see how strong that magnet is. the otterbox magnet has a good amount of pull, nad can actually hold my keyring to it, and that is ALOT of keys...
    04-29-09 04:58 PM
    I have the otterbox with the holster, and the magnet is located on the holster dead center on the storms screen, and I know for a fact it goes into holster mode cuz a) it shuts the heck up and vibrates prior to ringing, and b) when I receive a new email while it is holstered when take it out, it flips right to the most recently received email.

I would guess that the folks who are saying the magnet must be centered are the ones that are right... Also may want to see how strong that magnet is. the otterbox magnet has a good amount of pull....
    Thanks a lot. I'll play around with what I have some more and see what conclusions I can draw.
    04-29-09 04:59 PM
    just an update I just tested all the theorys out thereonthis by taking a dinky magnet off the whiteboard in my office and running it all around the screen of my storm. the magnet must be pretty near dead center on the screen for holster mode to activate and work... it will not work in ANY other area of the phone to verify holster mode is working , just watch for the screen to go black... simple!
    04-29-09 05:04 PM
    just an update I just tested all the theorys out thereonthis by taking a dinky magnet off the whiteboard in my office and running it all around the screen of my storm. the magnet must be pretty near dead center on the screen for holster mode to activate and work... it will not work in ANY other area of the phone to verify holster mode is working , just watch for the screen to go black... simple!
    Ya, I just confirmed that it's not the phone. The magnet is in the wrong location in my holster, which begs the question; is it a faulty holster or the wrong holster for the phone...
    04-29-09 05:12 PM
    First post updated with a picture of the pouch I have.
    04-29-09 05:18 PM
    Well it seems you have the correct pouch, try locating the magnet and if so try moving it around.
    04-29-09 05:39 PM
    Well it seems you have the correct pouch, try locating the magnet and if so try moving it around.
    Thank you. I was just logging back on to report that I had done exactly this.

The magnet was very near the bottom and I was able to move it back to where it needs to be. Hopefully it will stay there.
    04-29-09 05:55 PM
    Thank you. I was just logging back on to report that I had done exactly this.

The magnet was very near the bottom and I was able to move it back to where it needs to be. Hopefully it will stay there.
    Your welcome, I was glad to help even if you did what I said before you read it. lol
    04-29-09 07:43 PM
    Just hold the phone against the outside the the holster and see if it goes to sleep right away. If it stays lit, the sleep mode is not working (due to either phone or magnet issue).

If I hold my phone against my holster without actually putting it in the holster, it goes to sleep right away.
    04-29-09 11:01 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD