In the past 5 days I have made two trips to my local Verizon store about the problems that I'm experiencing with the Storm. Here are 3 problems that I'm having -

1. At least once per day when I go to use the Storm, my screen is white and I have to pull the battery to restart the phone.
    2. If I press an icon it will disappear and in its place will be a white square - pressing other icons and pressing the Blackberry button (usually) gets rid of this.
    3. When typing I will type a letter and not be able to move onto the next letter for about 5 - 10 seconds.

The 3rd party software loaded =
    Crackberry Mobile
    ESPN Mobile
    Viigo
    You-Tune Mobile
    Yahoo Mobile
    Flycast Radio
    Aerize Alerts

Verizon store rep told me to swap the Storm for the Curve and that he would not authorize a new Storm.
    Called customer service and spoke to a tech rep who blamed the 3rd party software and told me that if I remove all the software and I'm still having the problems, I could get a replacement Storm.
    Before I do this, I'm looking for any relevant feedback from the CB Brigade, especially if you have experienced any of the same problems.

Thanks for everyone's time!!
    01-09-09 11:50 AM
    I believe its a known bug in the OS's.

Honestly, I would dump all the 3rd party apps until they develop it specifically for the storm.

Since doing that, my storm has been flying!
    01-09-09 11:53 AM
    I'm not sure how technically savvy you are, but you could try a wipe and reload of the OS That will tell you if it's a software or hardware problem. If you do that and are still having problems, then it's obviously a hardware issue. In which case you need a replacement.
    01-09-09 11:58 AM
    Are you running .75? I came across that a lot when running .75
    01-09-09 12:00 PM
    Thanks for your replies.
    01-09-09 12:01 PM
    Was searching board for this very issue (same speckled white screen) and saw your photo. My phone is a launch day phone, and twice w/in past 4 days that white screen has appeared. It started after I installed an Agendus trial. Keyboard locked up a couple hours after Agendus install, did a battery pull, and got that white screen for several minutes.

This morning my phone was sitting on the desk (had been overnight). I was charging it. Tapped red button to launch Homeeen and was promptly presented with white screen. Went away in seconds tho. Beginning to concern me, so am ditching all 3rd parties for now. Will really miss VyMail the most, it's been so helpful.

My 3rd parties are:
    Google Maps
    Vlingo
    VyMail w/You Mail
    SoftReset
    01-13-09 10:46 AM
    Just wanted to post an update here.
    I removed all 3rd party apps this a.m., doing a batt pull afterward. Darned if that didn't make the phone act more squirrelly. Keyboard did not want to respond without a lot of nudges.

Had some time today to stop by VZW Corporate store. Told them I wasn't necessarily looking to swap my Storm (because of dread of getting one with far worse issues, but didn't tell them that). Mentioned a couple minor to me issues, but focused primarily on the white screen. A Mgr was helping me (lunch hour, staff was short). Very nice man.

They tooled around with the phone a bit, but told me straight up front that they've seen this issue on some other Storms and they don't have the capability at their tech station to fix it. He said "I'm getting you a new phone", promptly made the call and ordered a replacement for me. (Guess they had no replacements in stock.) So perhaps it was not 3rd party after all? Feel lucky, as I will to compare mine to the new one arriving on the 15th and decide between the two.

So, if those white screen issues keep recurring, my store viewed this as an exchange worthy defect.
    Last edited by periwinklemoon; 01-13-09 at 06:43 PM.
    01-13-09 06:40 PM
    Rooster has a good point. My practice is to load an app, and then play with my Storm for a few days before I add another. It helps me ID the offender...
    01-13-09 07:01 PM
    just so you all know, I got this a couple times one night and next thing you know my screen cut out. the OS didn't freeze on me cause I was still able to recive a txt and also do a backup of all my files. I did battery pulls and it worked a few times, but then the back Light would come on but no pictures. if you search my old threads I posted one called "I think my storm just bit the dust"
    01-29-09 02:07 PM
    I've gotten this before... im on .90 and everything is fine now.
    01-29-09 02:18 PM
    I got this screen a few times already. A battery pull fixes it.
    01-29-09 02:25 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD