As I am sure everyone is excited this morning with the release of the Storm arrival date, I called my local Verizon store to ask them if I could use another person's NE2 (family member, but not on my plan). They told me,"Yes, you can use someone's NE2 if they're not on your plan, but once we switch the ESN# of the phone, it will void the Storm's warranty."

I hung up with them and called another store and explained the same scenario and was told,"Yes, you can use another person's NE2 and it will NOT void the warranty."

I do not want to buy this phone with a NE2 and not have a warranty. Does anyone know anything about this?
    11-13-08 09:00 AM
    buy the insurance? Seriously, it's worth it.
    11-13-08 09:12 AM
    it only makes sense to buy the insurance and of course it would void RIM's manufactures warranty, but as long as you are paying insurance then your phone is covered. I'm using my girlfriends NE2 to get the storm and swapping that thing out immediately
    11-13-08 09:14 AM
    That's a good point. Sorry, guess I didn't think of that. I always buy the insurance anyway for my phones. Just sucks that one store says one thing and the other something else. For the person that doesn't buy it and then leaves with no warranty...they're out of luck.
    11-13-08 09:24 AM
    the warranty applies to th phone, not the plan or account. You have manufacturer warranty no matter what... Insurance only makes sense if the phone is lost or stolen

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-13-08 09:26 AM
    No that's not true, when my husband was up for a new phone last year helet me get my pearl, and we just had verizon switch the numbers. Since then I've gotten 3 new pearls, they were all covered and I had no fees to pay when I exchanged them.
    11-13-08 09:26 AM
    I'd still get insurance though, esp. to cover theft, etc.
    11-13-08 09:27 AM
    What? This seems really silly, as the manufacturers warranty should not have anything to do where the phone is activated. In any case, I'd probably still get insurance.

11-13-08 09:27 AM
    if the phone is under 1 yr, it will always have a warranty. if you purchase it under someone elses line, if you have an issue within 30 days you will not recieve a new device. thats the difference.
    11-13-08 09:35 AM
    the rep you talked to was a moron, and if you called back and told the manager you probably might get him fired
    11-13-08 09:38 AM
    Now I am getting a bit confused here. To me, insurance always covered if it was lost, stolen, broken...

The rep said,"if you purchase with someone's NE2 and we switch the ESN# of the phone, you WILL void the phone's warranty." To me, that sounds like if I have a problem with the phone, it's too bad for me.
    11-13-08 09:58 AM
    Okay, so I got some more information that you all will LOVE!

I called 2 more stores and the (800) number. Here's what they said.

"If you are using another person's NE2 and they are NOT on your plan, you will void the warranty of the phone and are ineligible to purchase insurance."

So basically, you either pay full retail and have a warranty and insurance or use the NE2 and roll the dice!
    11-13-08 10:12 AM
    I agree totally I mean it is the phone that has the warranty not the plan. I have bought a phone on craigslist before and it had 2 months warranty left on it and before the warranty was up I went to the store. But still not sure about VZW this is Telus I'm talking about. But I would for sure get the insurance. good luck in what you decide.

the warranty applies to th phone, not the plan or account. You have manufacturer warranty no matter what... Insurance only makes sense if the phone is lost or stolen

11-13-08 10:17 AM
    This is interesting. I've never heard this before. Even though I'll have insurance on it I would still like to be able to take it into a store for a swapout instead of having to wait on Assurion.
    11-13-08 10:27 AM
    I thought the same thing. I never heard of it either, but so far I have 3 reps say it's true and 1 that says it's not...
    11-13-08 10:34 AM
    I used to have insurance on all my lines but then I had Verizon reps say that simply moving a phone from one line on my account to a different line on that same account also voids the insurance - I call back serveral times and had different reps tell me the same thing, so I called Asurion to confirm. The "manager" I spoke to had me on hold for 15 to 20 minutes while he tried to get an answer regarding the insurance staying with the device as I move it from one line to another on my 1 account and he eventually said yes, but he could offer no confirmation via their web site or their documentation for the insurance plan. So I cancelled all of my insurance because it seems like this is just hit or miss - depends on the rep you talk to. I don't want my insurance coverage to depend on which rep at Verizon or Asurion I get through to.
    Last edited by Pachelbel; 11-13-08 at 11:34 AM.
    11-13-08 11:21 AM

SO WHERE DO I GO TO ONLINE TO GET MY BLACKBERRY MANUFACTORY WARRANTY???
    07-15-09 11:50 PM
    Inside voices please....
    07-15-09 11:59 PM
    Uhhhh, would someone please explain what NE2 and ESN# is? I'm trying to follow this thread but am having trouble comprehending and I think it's due to not being familiar w/these phrases. Thanks.
    07-16-09 12:08 AM
    Stop Yelling... You go to the store you got your phone from or call 611 from your phone. Don't think you can do anything online. Warranties are usually handeled by the retailer.
    and wh are you posting in a thread that has been dead for 9 month??
    Last edited by camoko; 07-16-09 at 12:51 AM.
    07-16-09 12:46 AM
    Uhhhh, would someone please explain what NE2 and ESN# is? I'm trying to follow this thread but am having trouble comprehending and I think it's due to not being familiar w/these phrases. Thanks.
    NE2 = New Every 2 (you get an extra $100 off)
    ESN = Electronic Serial Number ( I believe) thats the unique number of your phone to identify it to your carrier
    07-16-09 12:48 AM
    and wh are you posting in a thread that has been dead for 9 month??
    That's a little hypocritical, isn't it?
    07-16-09 01:06 AM
    Okay, so I got some more information that you all will LOVE!

I called 2 more stores and the (800) number. Here's what they said.

"If you are using another person's NE2 and they are NOT on your plan, you will void the warranty of the phone and are ineligible to purchase insurance."

So basically, you either pay full retail and have a warranty and insurance or use the NE2 and roll the dice!
    Just to clarify where everyone else is dropping the ball on their explainations...
    You are not voiding the warranty, you are voiding Verizon's willingness to adhere to the warranty. You can always go through RIM for a manufacturer's defect, but this will take DRASTICALLY longer than a warranty exchange through the store. In my experience, go to a store, ask to talk to a "technician" that also owns a Storm (or a Tour for that matter I guess). Talk to the rep about things they have done with THEIR BB. Find their softspot, the thing that makes them compassionate about your situation, and ask them to exchange it. They will have to get approval to waive the fee, but it really shouldn't be a problem. Another thing to consider, too, is that the insurance deductible rate just went up not too long ago too. It would be cheaper to pay the "out of warranty" fee than the deductible, but the warranty on the replacement would only be 90-days as opposed to Asurion's 1-yr. Just a couple of things to consider.
    Another way to do it (and you didn't hear it from me, so don't print this page) is tell them that you want to transfer liability of this line to the account that had purchased it in the first place. Also tell them that you are ONLY doing this to waive the exchange fee, and that you will be immediately transferring it back out after the exchange is complete, and that you want the work done there in the store... That kind of escalation would be sure to upset someone at the store... but policy is policy... They would probably just prefer to waive the fee. Another option is if both accounts have a VIP status, do an esn change back to the line that had purchased the phone, exchange it, then esn change it back out to the other account. Again... they would probably prefer to just waive the fee.
    07-17-09 02:48 AM
    I bought a slightly used Storm from a co-worker in February and activated it on my Verizon acct without issue. Since I didn't buy the phone from Verizon, I didn't use my upgrade discount or renew my contract.

Within a month, I started getting dust under the screen. One store told me since I didn't buy it form Verizon there was nothing they could do. I went to another store and they had a new one sent to me as a replacement.

I'm starting to get dust under the screen again and am contemplating trying to get another replacement. However, Verizon is not very excited about doing warranty work on phone you didn't buy from them.
    07-17-09 08:55 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD