I'm getting a storm from a friend who used thier upgrade to get 2 storms, the second one they are selling to me. After they got the phone in the mail, VZW wanted to activate them both. My friend doesn't want to activate the second one (it would be on a second line that they don't want anymore) A VZW rep told her to activate it and then report it lost.

My friend is concerned that after they give the phone to me and I unlock it for ATT that VZW will see that the phone is being used and she will get in trouble for it somehow...

My question is: Should she activate the phone at all? Will I be able to unlock it for a sim card (ATT) if it is never activated? Will VZW somehow know that the phone is in use?

From my limited techinical knowledge, I'm guessing that she should not activate it and report it lost, I should be able to unlock it anyway, and VZW won't have a clue since I won't be on thier network.

Would someone care to inform me or correct me in my assumptions?

Thank you,

Henry
    05-13-09 03:35 PM
    I'm not sure I understand the whole scenario... But an Vzw phone cannot be used on an ATT network as they are different networks (GSM vs CDMA).

The a phone reported lost on VZW CANNOT be activated as they will flag the ESN and it will be unusable unless used on another CDMA network... (Alltel)
    05-13-09 03:48 PM
    I'm not sure I understand the whole scenario... But an Vzw phone cannot be used on an ATT network as they are different networks (GSM vs CDMA).

The a phone reported lost on VZW CANNOT be activated as they will flag the ESN and it will be unusable unless used on another CDMA network... (Alltel)
    In addition to this, you won't be able to get an unlock code to unlock the phone unless it's been on the VZW network for at least 2 months anyway.

Although, I've never used the unlock services provided by others on this forum, I can not say for certain that it is necessary to have the unlock code in order to unlock the phone. Can someone chime in on this info?
    05-13-09 03:56 PM
    I'm getting a storm from a friend who used thier upgrade to get 2 storms, the second one they are selling to me. After they got the phone in the mail, VZW wanted to activate them both. My friend doesn't want to activate the second one (it would be on a second line that they don't want anymore) A VZW rep told her to activate it and then report it lost.
    My friend is concerned that after they give the phone to me and I unlock it for ATT that VZW will see that the phone is being used and she will get in trouble for it somehow...

My question is: Should she activate the phone at all? Will I be able to unlock it for a sim card (ATT) if it is never activated? Will VZW somehow know that the phone is in use?

From my limited techinical knowledge, I'm guessing that she should not activate it and report it lost, I should be able to unlock it anyway, and VZW won't have a clue since I won't be on thier network.

Would someone care to inform me or correct me in my assumptions?

Thank you,

Henry
    A VZW rep suggested fraud?
    05-13-09 03:58 PM
    Okay, let's start at the top...

The Storm is a global phone, capable of using both the GSM and CDMA network, but you have to get the GSM (sim card) part of it unlocked for it to work.

As far as it being necessary for the phone to be used on VZW for 2 months to get a code, you can use the unlocking sites, through ebay, et cetera.

And yes, the VZW rep said, "I would just activate the phone and then report it lost so you don't have the pay the early termination fee on your contract. Since you don't want the second phone anyway, that's what I would do."
    05-13-09 04:06 PM
    In response to both the Op's post above, and Hollidaystylez post:

First, the Storm CAN be used on AT&T / gsm networks, due to the SIM card built-in.

That being said, Blackberry is unique in that each one has its own PIN #. If Verizon flags a phone as stolen, not only is that ESN flagged, but the PIN will be flagged as well. So the phone can't be registered on the Rim's BB network. It won't get push email or data services. And most likely won't get phone service either.

Bottom line - DON'T report it stolen. If anything, activate the phone, then have your friend transfer the phone # to another old phone they have laying around, and then your storm is in the clear
    05-13-09 04:12 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD