Hey, so I've really been looking into getting the Storm, but mainly one thing has been holding me back. See I used to have a PPC6700 which cooked the **** out of and then recently upgraded to a LG Dare a few weeks ago. The thing is, I can basically replace it with the Storm for an extra $20. The one thing holding me back is the $30 a month data plan. Idk, I'm a college student so moneys a little tight and I just don't know if its worth it. Basically my question is..

How does the internet speeds on a Dare compare to a Storm?

Is there much of an increase in speed? I mean I'm a bit unimpressed with the speed of the Dare and all that. If Im paying the data bill, I would def want something a little faster. Don't get me wrong, the Dare's nice but I know how much superior smartphones are. I have a broken itouch that I use around the house for the Wifi and LOVE the speed and apps on it.Yes I know Wifis much fatser.

So whatd you guys think?
    11-18-08 11:18 PM
    I don't know what the browser on the Dare is like, but I can tell you I was VERY impressed with the browser speed on the Storm.

By the way, I'm a current enV user.
    11-18-08 11:21 PM
    The Dare is a stupid phone....literally. It uses Verizon's crappy browser, I think (correct if wrong).

I know you are asking about speeds, but you should expect the Storm's internet experience to blow the water out of dumbphones like the Dare.
    11-18-08 11:22 PM
    these phones are designed to accept data much faster... because of how much more data they get.. The dare doesn't have that great of a browsing experience when you set it side by side with a real smartphone. I am not saying the dare is a bad phone but the phone itself is easily worth 20 dollars more its just if you can do the monthly bill thats what you should concern yourself with.
    11-18-08 11:26 PM
    if a store has a demo . . . go test side by side before friday. Make sure you test the same web pages. The storm should be much faster . . . however keep in mind you will be able to pull up full pages in some cases which may 'seem' slower but in fact are fast but have more content
    11-18-08 11:28 PM
    if you are already surfing the web with your dare are you not already paying for the data usage anyway?? so regardless of speed it makes sense to take the storm to me. I will say its looking like i dont care for how verizon is pricing the data plans. i do need to find out how much data is included on the $30 plan. i actually have unlimited now but if theres a lot included for $30 i might drop to that plan and then add tethering for a laptop when travelling or as a back up for my desktop if the net goes out at home
    11-18-08 11:28 PM
    Yeah I have the 15$ a month data thing and cause of the speed havent decided I've Im gonna keep it. The thing is, with a Blackberry i will HAVE to pay the 30 a month for the next 2 years, while I can cancel anytime on a Dare.

But I must say, I'm really glad with the results I've gotten so far. I wasn't sure if the speed would be different at all, but I think I may be leaning more towards getting it. Any other opinions?
    11-18-08 11:36 PM
    if you are already surfing the web with your dare are you not already paying for the data usage anyway?? so regardless of speed it makes sense to take the storm to me. I will say its looking like i dont care for how verizon is pricing the data plans. i do need to find out how much data is included on the $30 plan. i actually have unlimited now but if theres a lot included for $30 i might drop to that plan and then add tethering for a laptop when travelling or as a back up for my desktop if the net goes out at home
    The data usage for non-Blackberries is only $4.99 a month, but it uses your minutes working just like voice does. (By that I mean free after 9 and on weekends)
    11-18-08 11:40 PM
    darek is it just the area you are in? because while i do believe the blackberry browser itself will be much nicer and faster you should still have a nice download speed. i have a few friends who have the dare i saw them using the net on it i didnt think it seemed all that bad for not being a smart phone afterall
    11-18-08 11:40 PM
    I'm sure the Dare is on EVDO but is it on Rev A like the Storm is? I'm pretty sure it's not but I'm not positive.

If that is the case, the Storm should be noticeably faster.
    11-18-08 11:46 PM
    Yeah I have the 15$ a month data thing and cause of the speed havent decided I've Im gonna keep it. The thing is, with a Blackberry i will HAVE to pay the 30 a month for the next 2 years, while I can cancel anytime on a Dare.

But I must say, I'm really glad with the results I've gotten so far. I wasn't sure if the speed would be different at all, but I think I may be leaning more towards getting it. Any other opinions?
    Get the storm!

I haven't tried the phone out yet but with the 3g speeds it can't be too slow. I'm a long time internet phone user and I've seen it all. I've had chopped up websites, websites squeezed together, no images and all that crappy stuff. Not to quote an old iPhone commerical but they said something like "It's not a mobile version of the internet it's just the internet" that's how I feel about this phone. I surf the net a few hours a day on my phone and I really hate the mobile version of the internet. Some are better then others but it's still sucks. I would say if you really are big into web surfing on the phone then the Storm wins hands down.

P.S. I've owned a Dare and a Glyde both touchscreen both with web browsers and I got rid of both of them because their browsers were such a huge letdown.
    11-18-08 11:46 PM
    I'll tell you that I used to have a voyager, and the internet was SO BAD that it would make me cringe to even look at the browser button. I assumed that since it was using Verizon's 3G, that was about as fast as a phone can get...

Then I got a BB curve. WOW, BLOWS IT OUT OF THE WATER. I can actually surf the internet speedily and do whatever I want. It's incredible, and I can only assume the storm will be even faster. The Dare is NOT even a real phone in my opinion anymore, I could never go back to a dumb phone.

Like you though, I only got my phone (curve) a few weeks ago, so I can exchange for a storm when it comes out, still gotta make the decision, but that storm's looking mighty tasty!
    11-19-08 12:00 AM
    The data usage for non-Blackberries is only $4.99 a month, but it uses your minutes working just like voice does. (By that I mean free after 9 and on weekends)
    Or unlimited for $15.00 in the VCAST Package..

I'm sure the Dare is on EVDO but is it on Rev A like the Storm is? I'm pretty sure it's not but I'm not positive.

If that is the case, the Storm should be noticeably faster.
    It uses Rev A .. it actually is one of the only other phones that uses Rev A on Verizon at the moment.
    11-19-08 12:06 AM

This concerns me. I was all for getting the Storm on friday since I am due for my New every two. But is what he says true? If I buy a blackberry I HAVE to pay $30 a month for the next two years?

I can't switch back to a regular phone in a few months if I want to?
    11-19-08 12:46 AM
    This concerns me. I was all for getting the Storm on friday since I am due for my New every two. But is what he says true? If I buy a blackberry I HAVE to pay $30 a month for the next two years?

i would actually ask your rep about that. i have signed up for a data plan in the past to get a large discount on a phone and my rep just said hey you can sign up for the data to get the discount and cancel it within 30 days and you willl never be charged for it. but then maybe it falls under that 30 return deal verizon does. not sure. but i do know they let me do it
    11-19-08 01:11 AM

I think you misunderstood.

As long as you have a blackberry that is activated on the account you will need the data plan no questions asked. If you swap back to a non blackberry phone then you will no longer need to pay for the dataplan.
    11-19-08 01:14 AM
    u obviously can........ if ur fone is activated under a bb it has to have the 30 a month, but if in 4 months u go pay retail for a fone and activate that, then u wont have to have that 30 dollar package anymore
    11-19-08 01:21 AM
    yeah no one is forced to carry data on a non smartphone. thatd be ridiculous
    11-19-08 01:38 AM
    Don't even consider the Dare. I had one for two weeks and swapped it out for a Curve. There's simply no comparison. The Dare's browser sucks, there's no push e-mail, it's very difficult to type one-handed in landscape mode (that's the reason why I won't be getting a Storm by the way), and there are no 3rd party apps for it, unless you count the cheezy apps that you can buy from Verizon.

If you want a real smartphone get a BlackBerry. Trust me, if you get the Dare you'll be swapping it out for a bb anyway, so save yourself the time and get a bb to begin with.
    11-19-08 01:45 AM
    I'll apologize for my ignorance up front. I'm also looking at the Dare and the Storm. I've never owned a smart phone before. I'm interested in the web browsing capabilities, and the camera. Can you view video from sites such as YouTube, and Hulu on these types of phones, and how is the camera?
    11-20-08 10:09 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD