Okay. I have a few questions.

Doesn't VZW use SIM cards?

If so, will the Storm be unlockable and be capable of being used on ATT network?

Will it be worth buying an unlocked Storm? Considering the fact that if the device malfunctions, it will not be covered by insurance with ATT.
    09-16-08 06:34 AM
    Okay. I have a few questions.

Doesn't VZW use SIM cards?

If so, will the Storm be unlockable and be capable of being used on ATT network?

Will it be worth buying an unlocked Storm? Considering the fact that if the device malfunctions, it will not be covered by insurance with ATT.

With you being on AT&T the Storm is not what you're looking for. You are looking for the 9500 NOT the 9530. The 9500 is the GSM version. Without getting into too much detail, this device is a hybrid device, so the 9500 is what you need and yes it will work on AT&T.
    09-16-08 06:37 AM
    It's essentially the same phone though, correct?

Is it a good idea to use it, considering I will be screwed if the phone malfunctions?
    09-16-08 06:45 AM
    SIM cards are for GSM phones. The 9500 will have quad band GSM (North Amer and Euro) while the 9530 will have CDMA and Euro GSM (not NA GSM freq). The 9530 will have a SIM card because of the European GSM frequencies but it will not work on ATT (different GSM frequencies). I could possibly see some minor differences in the two versions asside from the all GSM versus CDMA/GSM difference. Maybe the Thunder (All GSM) will have wifi while the Storm will not. This is all speculation on my part though as I have no information other than what I've read here.
    09-16-08 07:39 AM
    No point in even messing with the Storm and trying to unlock it, when the Thunder (the GSM "Storm") will be out sometime as well!!
    09-16-08 07:58 AM

With you being on AT&T the Storm is not what you're looking for. You are looking for the 9500 NOT the 9530. The 9500 is the GSM version. Without getting into too much detail, this device is a hybrid device, so the 9500 is what you need and yes it will work on AT&T.
    I hope I don't sound stupid but what is a hybrid device
    And will the 9500 be released the same time the 9530 is? Because except voor VZ I haven't heard of any other carriers saying anything about this device.
    09-16-08 08:49 AM
    I hope I don't sound stupid but what is a hybrid device
    And will the 9500 be released the same time the 9530 is? Because except voor VZ I haven't heard of any other carriers saying anything about this device.
    Vodaphone in Europe will likely get the Thunder and possibly Rogers in Canada. I've seem some claims that Telus will get it in Canada, which would likely be the Storm as Telus is CDMA. Maybe Rogers will get the Thunder and Telus will get the Storm. I would not be someone who would know that.

If you want to use it on ATT you'd want a Thunder (either from Voda or Rogers).
    09-16-08 09:09 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD