I have 2 quick questions:

1: Is there a sleep mode on the blackberry storm? Because for some reason, my blackberry is always on. is there a standby mode or a mode that allows the screen to shut off.

2: What is the difference between the Blackberry storm 9530 and the blackberry storm 9500?

I am new to the blackberry community. I was once a treo user and so far blackberry is as good as my old treo.
    01-04-09 09:06 PM
    Yes a standby mode lock the screen and it will sleep...

And anser number two is nothing no diff

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-04-09 09:11 PM
    Thanks for the quick replay.

But i know this a stupid questions but, How do you get to sleep mode.
    what my Strom does, when its idle it keeps on dimming on and off but not completly blacking out. is this a flaw on my device or is this what you get from the storm?
    01-04-09 09:19 PM
    Set your screen to dim after a set time. BB Key>Options>Screen/Keyboard>Backlight Timeout

You can also set Auto On/Off. BB Key>Options> Auto On/Off

You can also hit the lock button on top of the phone to put into standby-ish mode

I could be wrong but I think the 9530 is CDMA capable, GSM & HSDPA and 9500 is GSM & HSDPA
    01-04-09 09:21 PM
    I have it currently at 10sec timeout. when this happends, the dimmer shuts off slightly but it is not a blank black screen. and like 3 seconds later the dimmer comes back on. i understand the the locking shortcut on top of the phone. when i press that, it does exactly what i said above, that is, the dimmer shuts off after 10 seconds but not completly cutting the power to the screen. and after 3 seconds later it turns back on(the dimmer, the backlight).

The bottem line is i guess, when the backlight shuts off, does the screen go blank, black, no lighting at all.

Because my storm's backlighting goes on and off when its in lockmode. i am just wondering if my storm is defected
    01-04-09 09:32 PM
    Yes a standby mode lock the screen and it will sleep...
    There is currently no manually triggered standby mode like there is with other BBs. Lock is not sleep, as IIRC the front and side buttons still activate the screen when locked.

You can have the Storm go into standby if you have a case with a magnet.

Hopefully RIM will add the ability to manually go into standby by holding down the mute button like other BBs.
    01-04-09 09:37 PM
    There is currently no manually triggered standby mode like there is with other BBs. Lock is not sleep, as IIRC the front and side buttons still activate the screen when locked.

You can have the Storm go into standby if you have a case with a magnet.

Hopefully RIM will add the ability to manually go into standby by holding down the mute button like other BBs.
    My sincerest apologies... What I meant was my screen goes completely black. ie. Sleep.
    01-04-09 09:41 PM
    My sincerest apologies... What I meant was my screen goes completely black. ie. Sleep.
    I can't believe they left this out of the Storm, as a proper standby function would help with the battery life that many people are complaining about.
    01-04-09 09:45 PM
    So to have my screen go to sleep/standby i need a case that has a magent. There is no current standby mode at the moment?

Sleep/standby=Blank black screen

Thanks for all the help!
    01-04-09 09:48 PM
    Yes, a case with a sleeper magnet will work. Once the Storm detect the magnet, it will go into standby. Pressing the screen/buttons will not turn the screen back on. Only moving the Storm away from the magnet will wake it up.

Pressing lock and/or setting timeout will also blank your screen, but both of these will have the screen turn back on if you accidentally press the front four or the side convenience buttons (like if the phone was in your pocket).
    01-04-09 09:53 PM
    If you hit the power button, it goes into standby/sleep mode, it doesn't really power it off. I would say this is closer to true standby/sleep mode then the screenlock.
    01-04-09 09:57 PM
    If you hit the power button, it goes into standby/sleep mode, it doesn't really power it off. I would say this is closer to true standby/sleep mode then the screenlock.
    No good, as the power button disables the phone (radio off, no calls, no email). In standby mode the phone still works (still receives emails, incoming calls).
    01-04-09 10:02 PM
    Alright so ima post a video on what im talking about. Video = 10000000 words

The Dimmer goes on and off and on and off and on. is this normal?
    Last edited by Ceejezzyes06; 01-04-09 at 10:19 PM.
    01-04-09 10:17 PM
    There is a sudo standby...

Go to power off, then power off... But do not choose full power off..

You'll have two options... Choose the first.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-04-09 10:21 PM
    I have it currently at 10sec timeout. when this happends, the dimmer shuts off slightly but it is not a blank black screen. and like 3 seconds later the dimmer comes back on. i understand the the locking shortcut on top of the phone. when i press that, it does exactly what i said above, that is, the dimmer shuts off after 10 seconds but not completly cutting the power to the screen. and after 3 seconds later it turns back on(the dimmer, the backlight).

The bottem line is i guess, when the backlight shuts off, does the screen go blank, black, no lighting at all.

Because my storm's backlighting goes on and off when its in lockmode. i am just wondering if my storm is defected
    Odd, my screen goes completely black w/ timeout set to 10sec & auto dim. Sorry if it didn't help. You may have an issue with the phone. Has it done this since day 1 or is this a new problem?
    01-04-09 10:23 PM
    Odd, my screen goes completely black w/ timeout set to 10sec & auto dim. Sorry if it didn't help. You may have an issue with the phone. Has it done this since day 1 or is this a new problem?
    I really didnt notice if this happened since day one becuase i was using it like crazy on day one. i got it on DEC30, 2008. Im thinking its a flaw with the phone but i wanted to make sure with everyone that it is not.

So (handscreate) you're saying that the screen does go blank/black when the 10sec timeout and auto dim reaches 10 seconds.

As you could see mine just goes on and off. on the youtube link i posted above
    Which means something IS wrong.

GOSH So sad with my first BB
    Last edited by Ceejezzyes06; 01-04-09 at 10:53 PM.
    01-04-09 10:45 PM
    I really didnt notice if this happened since day one becuase i was using it like crazy on day one. i got it on DEC30, 2008. Im thinking its a flaw with the phone but i wanted to make sure with everyone that it is not.

So (handscreate) you're saying that the screen does go blank/black when the 10sec timeout and auto dim reaches 10 seconds.

As you could see mine just goes on and off. on the youtube link i posted above
    Which means something IS wrong.

GOSH So sad with my first BB
    Yes. When I lock the phone I get a blank/black screen after 10sec. Same thing if the phone is idle for 10sec.

Do you have any apps installed? Leaked updates? First thing I would do is delete any 3rd party apps & leaked updates. And run the phone only with what came from RIM/Verizon. Try this. If this doesn't work call RIM and/or VZW tech support or go into the store. If you have a defective phone they'll replace it in the store (if they have stock) or they'll call customer support and order you a new one right there (2 days max shipped to you).

Does the phone only do this when locked or all the time? Have you pulled the battery to see if it still does it after a battery pull? If not, pull the battery with the device powered on and reinstall the battery after 60 seconds. Then just let the phone reboot
    Last edited by handscreate; 01-04-09 at 11:04 PM.
    01-04-09 11:02 PM
    Thanks for all the help guys!!

I found out the problem!
    It was a program that i downloaded that forced the blackberry to be on all the time. I downloaded the Talklock that blocked the user from hitting any keys during Calling sessions. This programs works VERY well. but unfortunetlly it forces the blackberry to be on all the time cuz the program is always running.

HAHA. sorry. as you can see i am a newbie in this world of Blackberries
    01-04-09 11:50 PM
    Glad you got it all figured out
    01-04-09 11:51 PM
    Thanks for all the help guys!!

I found out the problem!
    It was a program that i downloaded that forced the blackberry to be on all the time. I downloaded the Talklock that blocked the user from hitting any keys during Calling sessions. This programs works VERY well. but unfortunetlly it forces the blackberry to be on all the time cuz the program is always running.

HAHA. sorry. as you can see i am a newbie in this world of Blackberries
    I also have talklock. But my phones screen still shuts off after 10 secs. Also goes into sleep mode when put into the holster. Seidio Holster. This sturdy holster, made from soft touch rubberized material, will maintain BlackBerry's "sleeper" function and will also fit with Seidio's extended batteries.
    04-29-09 12:57 PM
    you tube is incredibly handy huh?
    04-30-09 11:33 AM
    It sounds like an issue with the phone... the screen SHOULD TIME OUT AND GO COMPLETELY BLACK after the desired period of time. If your screen just keeps coming on by itself and never goes completely black, then yes, this is wasting battery power, and it's an issue.

What kind of apps do you have on your phone? There have been some cases in which a certain app (or apps) were causing phones to behave in this manner.

EDIT: Ha ha ha ha! AND I just noticed that this thread is pretty old... AND I just noticed that there were two pages... Ha ha ha ha! That made me laugh.
    04-30-09 11:45 AM
    My strom was doing this also, and I have not downloaded to talklock program. I removed and re-installed the battery and this "fixed" the problem. Now my storm "goes to sleep" when I engage the lock button. Hope this helps all you other "Crackers" out there and perhaps helps BB develop a "fix" for this issue, as it DOES happen.
    05-06-09 07:49 AM
    Engaging the lock "does not" put your phone in sleep mode!!!
    05-06-09 05:53 PM
    Engaging the lock "does not" put your phone in sleep mode!!!
    +1. lock != sleep

RIM needs to add a manually triggered sleep option to their next Storm OS (just like every other BB model has)
    05-06-09 06:48 PM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD