Hi all!

I unlocked my Storm a couple of months ago using a code I bought from a freeyourcellphone.com. I popped in the SIM card from my old blackberry, which is my work phone. The old phone always worked just fine when I travelled to Europe without me needing to do anything -- it would pick up a local network and I could use voice and data with no issues.

Now I'm on another European trip and I can't get on to any local networks. When "GSM/UMTS" or "global" is selected, I get "SOS", and when "1xEV" is selected (out of desperation ;-) ) I get signal bars but no actual connection. I'm in England at the moment, but had the same problem in Spain earlier this week.

Does this have something to do with the service books I had to hack from AT&T? Any ideas how I can enable roaming again?

Thanks!
    Rowan
    03-05-09 11:52 AM
    Hi Rowan,
    Did you ever figure this out? I am in the exact same boat - have a BB Bold which I unlocked using a code from Ebay - now all I get is SOS when roaming in Ireland on the AT&T SIM.

It seems I cannot have my cake and eat it

Thanks,
    Rob
    05-12-09 10:36 AM
    No, I didn't, although I did think of a new thing to try -- once I was back in North America, too late to experiment -- which was to scan for available networks and select one manually if any came up (and keep trying all of them until I found the one AT&T has a roaming agreement with). Here are the instructions for how to do that on a Bold: na.blackberry.com/eng/deliverables/3045/Switch_wireless_networks_manually_26946_11.jsp (sorry for the lack of a full url -- I can't post a link yet)

Let me know if that works!

Rowan
    05-12-09 10:42 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD