what are your opinions of the storm in relation to the bold? is the bold a second tier device by comparison, or are they just designed with different things in mind?
    10-03-08 03:27 PM
    what are your opinions of the storm in relation to the bold? is the bold a second tier device by comparison, or are they just designed with different things in mind?
    Having used both devices, the Bold is definitely not a scond tier device in comparison to the Storm. As much as people don't think, the Storm was engineered in such a way, that it would operate in the corporate world efficiently. And of course it's a multi-media device also. But in NO WAY is the Bold not on the same "level" as the Storm. It honestly comes down to preference. I would say each device has a couple particular things it does better than the other. But even for sure.
    10-03-08 03:32 PM
    Yup, the Bold is definitely the flagship model for BB, and it will still be that after the Storm is released. It can do things that the Storm doesn't have at the moment (see WiFi moaning thread ).
    Other than the better camera resolution, what the Storm has the the Bold doesn't are aesthetic and interface factors (big touch screen), not performance features.
    10-03-08 03:38 PM
    For me, it all comes down to typing. That Storm landscape QWERTY keyboard looks fantastic.
    10-03-08 03:50 PM
    Yup, the Bold is definitely the flagship model for BB, and it will still be that after the Storm is released. It can do things that the Storm doesn't have at the moment (see WiFi moaning thread ).
    Other than the better camera resolution, what the Storm has the the Bold doesn't are aesthetic and interface factors (big touch screen), not performance features.
    These are bold statements, no pun intended. Other than the lack of Wifi, which I am sick of hearing about to begin with, what exactly is it that the Bold can do that the Storm can't? I'm not saying one device is better than the other, as they are both very different, but I'd like to see you back your statements with some solid information.
    10-03-08 03:50 PM
    These are bold statements, no pun intended. Other than the lack of Wifi, which I am sick of hearing about to begin with, what exactly is it that the Bold can do that the Storm can't? I'm not saying one device is better than the other, as they are both very different, but I'd like to see you back your statements with some solid information.
    One thing the Bold(9000) can do that the Storm(9530) cannot is voice and data.
    10-03-08 04:43 PM
    I think both are great devices (one doesn't trump the other). The end user will decide which is superior (depending on his/her wants and needs).

One thing the Bold(9000) can do that the Storm(9530) cannot is voice and data.
    You better be joking..

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-03-08 05:41 PM
    Why would he be joking about that? No CDMA device with EV-DO can do voice and data at the same time. That is one of the biggest differences between VZW/Sprint 3G and Real 3G on a GSM network (voice and data can be used at the same time). Now the Storm 9500 may be a different story.......
    10-03-08 05:57 PM
    Why would he be joking about that? No CDMA device with EV-DO can do voice and data at the same time. That is one of the biggest differences between VZW/Sprint 3G and Real 3G on a GSM network (voice and data can be used at the same time). Now the Storm 9500 may be a different story.......
    Being "Real 3G" has nothing to do with whether or not the 3G network can handle both voice and data. It has everything to do with speed capabilites. However, being able to do both voice and data is a perk, but for many, including myself, who happens to use both, it's not a deal breaker at all. And yes, the 9500 has HSDPA so it can do both at the same time.
    10-03-08 06:57 PM
    Being "Real 3G" has nothing to do with whether or not the 3G network can handle both voice and data. It has everything to do with speed capabilites. However, being able to do both voice and data is a perk, but for many, including myself, who happens to use both, it's not a deal breaker at all. And yes, the 9500 has HSDPA so it can do both at the same time.
    The voice and data was a strategic choice that Verizon made a while back. When AT&T scrapped their existing TDMA infrastructure and started from scratch with GSM, Verizon stuck with their already broad CDMA network, continued to expand it and slapped EVDO on top. It's the reason Verizon has the coverage it does. The choice boils down to expansive voice coverage or simultaneous voice and data capability.
    10-03-08 07:27 PM
    the storm has qwerty and touch screen?
    10-03-08 07:49 PM
    the storm has qwerty and touch screen?
    Um. Um?

Qwerty is simply the allignment of a full keyboard.

10-03-08 08:10 PM
    i understand that... what i meant is that do you have the option of touchscreen and a physical keypad? i know with the iphone many people had a hard time getting used to the touch keypad.
    10-03-08 08:12 PM
    No, it is only TSI.

10-03-08 08:14 PM
    The voice and data was a strategic choice that Verizon made a while back. When AT&T scrapped their existing TDMA infrastructure and started from scratch with GSM, Verizon stuck with their already broad CDMA network, continued to expand it and slapped EVDO on top. It's the reason Verizon has the coverage it does. The choice boils down to expansive voice coverage or simultaneous voice and data capability.
    I'm not sure what your point is, but you forgot to mention expansive data coverage as well, as Verizon has a lot more 3G coverage. For me, personally, having more of the 3G coverage is A LOT more important than being able to talk on a 3G phone while using data. But, that's just my preference. However, I use ATT and Verizon's smartphones and aircards, and I do admit, the voice and data at the same time has it's perks.
    10-03-08 08:34 PM
    Bigdawg, if the voice data thing was a choice vzw made then why is sprint the same way? Seems coincidence they would make the same choice.

10-03-08 08:38 PM
    I'm not sure what your point is, but you forgot to mention expansive data coverage as well, as Verizon has a lot more 3G coverage. For me, personally, having more of the 3G coverage is A LOT more important than being able to talk on a 3G phone while using data. But, that's just my preference. However, I use ATT and Verizon's smartphones and aircards, and I do admit, the voice and data at the same time has it's perks.
    My point is that Verizon could have done simultaneous voice and data too, but they made a choice to prioritize voice coverage. In turn it has allowed for better data coverage as well at the expense of being able to use that voice and data at the same time.
    10-03-08 08:55 PM
    Bigdawg, if the voice data thing was a choice vzw made then why is sprint the same way? Seems coincidence they would make the same choice.

There was no coincidence, the decision by Verizon to maintain and expand their CDMA infrastructure made it easy for Sprint and other CDMA carriers to stick with CDMA. It ensured the technology would continue to mature and advance and those associated costs could be shared across the different carriers. No one wants to be forced to change, it's a huge investment, but you don't want to be the only one left. Notice there are no remaining TDMA carriers in the US.
    10-03-08 09:03 PM
    I misunderstood his statement. I had a DULLARD moment.

10-03-08 09:24 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD