My BB Storm just stopped charging - anyone have this experience. All was fine last night when I turned in. I plugged the phone in to charge over night as I usually do. When I woke up this morning, it was totally dead. I played around with it a bit and was able to get it to display a white screen with a battery icon and a blue lightening bolt over it. I've never seen that screen before but I'm sure it's not good.

I pulled the battery and unplugged/repluged the charger about 15 times and left it alone for a little while. It charged up enough to power up. I went to work and I brought my USB cable along with me, figuring I could leave it plugged into my PC all day - that should charge it enough as it doesn't really get used much during my work day so I can just leave it plugged in.

But when I plug it in with the USB charger, it does not appear to be charging. The battery indicator (now very low) will show the 'electricity symbol' superimposed over the battery for about 10 seconds (as if it is charging), but then just disappears (and the phone is clearly not charging).

Every time I unplug/replug the USB cable, the PC shows "new hardware found", and the battery indicator comes up with the charge symbol, but the charge symbol disappears after about 10 seconds - every time.

Also, while it's plugged in, if i try to use the phone (to send a text, etc), it will work (since it has a little juice left), but it keeps switching to display the clock every few seconds, as if it is continuing to reconnect, as if I kept unplugging it and plugging it back in.

Anyone have any ideas? Thanks.

DJ
    04-27-09 08:53 AM
    Blow out the hole where the usb cable goes into the phone. Hopefully you just have something block the port.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-27-09 09:11 AM
    I have had it happen on several times. Battery pull fixes it for me, reset doesn't fix it for me.

This problem and some other power related problems make me suspect that one of the issues they are working on in the betas in the battery control code. For example, I have done resets where the battery shows 75% before and 20% after. There is no way that that much power drained as a result of a power up.
    04-27-09 09:32 AM
    derek, ive had same problem! Once it gets fully charged if i leave it on charger the battery will start draining. I had the same thing, with waking up to dead phone. I still have no idea what it is....lol But hopefully someone can let us know... I may try new battery!
    04-27-09 10:25 AM
    I had the same problem and noticed (via meterberry) that when the battery gets too hot (above 110 degrees) it will stop charging. I have actually verified this by removing the back cover while charging and blowing air over the battery. As the battery cooled the charging resumed. At home I charge on my bathroom counter which stays cool and have had no problems.
    04-27-09 10:30 AM
    I haven't had this problem but since upgrading to OS 111 my battery doesn't last a day.
    Any ideas ?
    04-27-09 10:45 AM
    Had this same problem, The only way to fix is to battery pull till battery fully dies, then plug back in and let it recharge with the white screen that shows battery being charged in the middle, after about 15 mins your storm will come back on, then 15 more minutes the radio will be available for use again.

I have the .122 and this is when this issued started. so yea try pulling battery till the batter complete dies due to start up battery usage. When i Do a battery pull it generally takes about 1/4 of a charge so if your at say 5% or 10% it should only take one or two pulls till your battery is fully dead. IE wont eve turn on, just gives you black screen.

At that time you should be able to recharge. GOOD LUCK!
    Last edited by Inous; 04-27-09 at 11:54 AM.
    04-27-09 11:37 AM
    I'm still on .75 and my Storm just started to do the exact same thing. Verizon is sending me a replacement phone. I have tried 2 batteries, multiple battery pulls. Only thing that keeps it charging is plugging it in and outing the cord in a specific spot, then adding pressure to front and back of phone holding the cord in place. Its pissing me off royally. This will be Storm #4.

04-27-09 11:59 AM
    BIGGEST PIECE OF S#HIT CONSUMER ELECTRONICS I HAVE EVER OWNED. WHAT A HUGE MISTAKE.

None of the above fixes does anything (phone is now completely dead and plugging it in does not indicate ANY charging activity - no white screen with battery symbol, no flashing red/green charging light, nothing. From working fine to completely dead just sitting on my night stand).

As for all the suggested fixes: I appreciate the help, but NONE of the suggested fixes should be considered an appropriate way to deal with a device like this. If those are the things we need to do to make the device work, then clearly the device DOES NOT WORK. Pulling the battery 10 times just to get it to charge is not acceptable in any way. Not at all.
    04-27-09 01:05 PM
    Hi

this is my first post so please be nice I had the same problem last Friday - so Vodafone UK replaced device straight away. This is my third Storm in one month. Unfortunently my 28 days exchange policy gone so it's mean that if anything will go wrong with this one I have to send it to repair centre. It should be 28 days for each device not 28 days from the begining of the contract. I pray that this third Storm will work. I want back my Nokia 6310i
    04-27-09 01:33 PM
    When my storm will not charge if the battery is too hot. I have had this happen several times. Let the battery cool off then try again.

04-27-09 02:47 PM
    hmmm seems you have already tried many options...
    how about just call verizon for a free replacement?
    04-27-09 03:14 PM
    When my storm will not charge if the battery is too hot. I have had this happen several times. Let the battery cool off then try again.

Ok - I've seen several people suggest this on several forums and while it may "work", I reject it as a fix: if the battery is overheating from normal use (i.e. charging the phone - not even using the phone), than there is a defective battery (probable) or a design flaw (possible). Either way, pulling the cover off and 'letting it cool' to be able to take a charge is....

UNACCEPTABLE.
    04-27-09 03:25 PM
    I went into the Verizon store and they ordered me a new Storm. I asked if it would be a reconditioned one but the guy said no, it would be a new one (we'll see if that's true). He said that the charging port was loose and that's why it wasn't working. That is certainly possible but seems odd - it was working fine one day when I went to bed and was hosed in the morning when I woke up. Oh well - we shall see. Personally, I think the design of the charging jack/port is problematic - lots of stress on the port if you happen to want to use the phone while you are plugged in (particularly while driving).

Fingers crossed for the new device... I want to like the storm - I really do. So far though, I would say it has a LONG way to go. Just the fairly frequent typing lag and the ridiculous amount of time it takes to "wake up" when I unlock the screen definitely make this a consumer toy, not a power user device.
    04-27-09 06:53 PM
    I knew I would find the answer I needed!
    So at night I put my phone under my pillow (or I used to, with my LG EnV2 and my Samsung Omnia). But with the BB Storm, if it is charging + under my pillow = too hot! It gets super over heated.
    One morning I woke up and the charge was less or the same from the night before, and this morning it was totally dead. Now it's slowly charging after seeing the dreaded white screen. Thanks for the help!
    06-04-09 08:00 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD