Simple question.. Had the storm a while ago, sold it because it SUCKED. Went through three storms because of dust under the screen. Constantly adjusting screws because the screen refused to stay consistent in clicking. Lethargic performance. Lack of a polished OS suited for a touch screen.. Elastic scrolling was absent. No threaded SMS, entire phone OS looked dated in general..

All still problems or have any been addressed? I liked the phone's general idea, just hated the horrific execution of it.
    09-21-09 02:27 AM
    Short Answer. yes it does... ish

Dont get me wrong I am a storm user and love my device but the issues you've outlined i think are still there.

Harware wise - I havent had issues with inconsisent screen click or dust under the screen so i think my later release version has gone through a few minor tweeks.

Sortware - Still no threaded SMS but the promise of that in more in OS 5.0 is really promising.

the newest official OS has sorted out a lot of the major issues it had and it os now an enjoyable experience to use. Until 5.0 gets released.

Are you looking to come back to the Storm? then I'd wait for Storm 2.
    09-21-09 02:37 AM

I agree. The Storm 2,and running the 5.0 OS ,it will be a nearly perfect phone.
    09-21-09 03:10 AM
    I just purchased the HTC touch pro 2 today, won't have it until Tues. I'm considering picking up another Storm as well. If I do, I'll certainly be looking at the S2. However, if they still haven't fixed the crap wrong on the S1, then my faith in the second gen being much better isn't very high.
    09-21-09 03:12 AM
    I live my storm since updated OS ... But yes the hardware side. Still blows like the dust issue.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-21-09 08:14 AM
    Short Answer. yes it does... ish

Dont get me wrong I am a storm user and love my device but the issues you've outlined i think are still there.

Harware wise - I havent had issues with inconsisent screen click or dust under the screen so i think my later release version has gone through a few minor tweeks.

Sortware - Still no threaded SMS but the promise of that in more in OS 5.0 is really promising.

the newest official OS has sorted out a lot of the major issues it had and it os now an enjoyable experience to use. Until 5.0 gets released.

Sorry jon your kinda wrong
    Storm is just about flawlesd at this point. 0 lag. Extremely fast. Threaded txt is now standard. Running 5.0 230 . Flick scrolling. You have to try. You will be amazed how far devise has come. Even net is super fast

09-21-09 08:22 AM
    I live my storm since updated OS ... But yes the hardware side. Still blows like the dust issue.

I was told by a VZW manager that it only gets dust under the screen if a seal breaks in which case it is covered by warranty. I've had mine in my dusty pockets for a month now with no problems.
    09-21-09 08:26 AM
    Sorry jon your kinda wrong
    Storm is just about flawlesd at this point. 0 lag. Extremely fast. Threaded txt is now standard. Running 5.0 230 . Flick scrolling. You have to try. You will be amazed how far devise has come. Even net is super fast

I love when people exaggerate. Short truthful answer...I'm running .230 (5.0) and its much better than it used to be. However there is lag here and there and I've had a random reboot already. The gui and animations as well as flick scrolling could be polished a lot more also. So its close but no cigar. Still way better than what it was on launch day.

09-21-09 08:30 AM
    Oh and the browser is still slow. So that's a complete lie.

09-21-09 08:31 AM
    I've had S1 since Feb. and haven't had most of the issues complained about here. No dust under the screen (and the device spends a fair amount of time in my pockets on the weekends), no screen clicking issues (no torx adjustments or business card on my device) and the release of .148 seemed to correct many of the OS issues I was experiencing. Jumping to .151 resolved the memory issues I was having and, now that I'm running .167, though it doesn't manage memory on my device nearly as well as .151, the browser seems to be much faster than any OS (leaked or otherwise) I've used to this point.

That said, as big a fan as I am of S1, I don't see any reason to opt for it with S2 on the horizon - especially if you have something else to get you by in the meantime. I'm sure S2 will have its own issues, but I think the device and its accompanying OS will be much better executed this time around at launch.
    09-21-09 08:39 AM
    Oh and the browser is still slow. So that's a complete lie.

I don't believe anyone was lying. It was an opinion different then yours. I think it's rude to talk to someone that way just because your opinion is different.

I will agree that I think a great deal of .230 appears to be more hype then fact. Browser speed is about the same. As I stated in a few threads I'm considering going back to my hybrid.

I also experienced a weird memory drop last night, I went from 40 mb to 25 mb and that's never happened before. A reset made everything right, but I think that shows signs of instability.

People have to be aware that it takes at least a week before we really know what's going on with a new OS. Then you decide what is best for you and act accordingly.
    09-21-09 09:18 AM
    I don't believe anyone was lying. It was an opinion different then yours. I think it's rude to talk to someone that way just because your opinion is different.

I will agree that I think a great deal of .230 appears to be more hype then fact. Browser speed is about the same. As I stated in a few threads I'm considering going back to my hybrid.

I also experienced a weird memory drop last night, I went from 40 mb to 25 mb and that's never happened before. A reset made everything right, but I think that shows signs of instability.

People have to be aware that it takes at least a week before we really know what's going on with a new OS. Then you decide what is best for you and act accordingly.
    The browser is better, maybe not from .191, but from any 4.x build it is. There are so many improvements that it's hard to list them all. And the build does have some glitches, like jumping to the beginning of whatever when looking at text messages or any list, but the system isn't crashing or anything, well at least mine isn't. Bill I would agree, it's an opinion and based on how things go with the OS's and everyone's phones, I'd say people have a fighting chance to load .230 and it work well. I'm one of the fortunate ones who has had this phone since 11/24 and still on the original one. No dust under the screen, fixed the torx screws and pretty much had a stable phone with just about every leak out. Assuming the OP will get another Storm, they need to decide for themselves about which OS is right for them. S2 I'm sure will be awesome, so maybe that's the answer if another Storm is desired.
    09-21-09 09:49 AM
    the storm is much better than it was on .75 but its not near flawless. Funny thing is even when s2 comes out not everyone will think that's flawless. Everyone had their own standards of what they want with a phone.

09-21-09 10:28 AM
    whats up with all these people slamming the storm... 5.0.0.230 makes the phone everything i could have asked for and more... Theres absolutely nothing wrong with it... Blazing fast speeds and quick camera.... threaded sms.... i mean crap what else could i ask for? it works great no memory leaks....
    09-21-09 10:31 AM
    Since .151 i really havent had any complaints to speak of

phones could ALWAYS be better. But this is the best possible device out there right now for my needs.
    09-21-09 10:45 AM
    whats up with all these people slamming the storm... 5.0.0.230 makes the phone everything i could have asked for and more... Theres absolutely nothing wrong with it... Blazing fast speeds and quick camera.... threaded sms.... i mean crap what else could i ask for? it works great no memory leaks....
    So you have no glitches or bugs at all?
    I am assuming you have no issues with playing music or streaming music with pandora. Facebook is working for you. Threaded sms is free of bugs. And appworld as well as google maps are working.

If this is the case please let me know what I did wrong, unless these don't matter to you, in which case you can ignore this post.

I am perfectly content with .167 right now. But in my opinion there isn't a solid 5.0 OS yet.

09-21-09 12:01 PM
    So its opinion now? I figured if its slow then its slow. That's like saying a snail is fast....in my opinion. Its an opinion but its wrong.

09-21-09 01:09 PM
    So its opinion now? I figured if its slow then its slow. That's like saying a snail is fast....in my opinion. Its an opinion but its wrong.

Kinda is lol...I think most people are seeing the placebo affect. The OS itself is more snappy, but in my opinion the BB browser is not any faster. Although to me Opera did seem faster on .230, but again I think I am fooling myself since the interface is much sleeker on .230.

09-21-09 01:16 PM

It's all relative. Saying it's fast isn't necessarily wrong. It's just a matter of what you're use to or comparing it to.
    09-21-09 02:30 PM
    Simple question.. Had the storm a while ago, sold it because it SUCKED. Went through three storms because of dust under the screen. Constantly adjusting screws because the screen refused to stay consistent in clicking. Lethargic performance. Lack of a polished OS suited for a touch screen.. Elastic scrolling was absent. No threaded SMS, entire phone OS looked dated in general..

All still problems or have any been addressed? I liked the phone's general idea, just hated the horrific execution of it.
    LOL, troll much? The storm still isn't an Iphone. If you want an Iphone, get an Iphone. Please let the two million or so people who like their Storm have a nice message board to come to without this sh-- to look at every day.

Oh, and why isn't this in Rants/Raves?
    09-21-09 02:44 PM

You sold out too soon! 5.0.0.230 has been everything to ask for! At least you could go back to the s2 when it comes out. For me the storm is great right now and I will hold off for a little while on the s2.
    09-21-09 03:02 PM
    So you have no glitches or bugs at all?
    I am assuming you have no issues with playing music or streaming music with pandora. Facebook is working for you. Threaded sms is free of bugs. And appworld as well as google maps are working.

If this is the case please let me know what I did wrong, unless these don't matter to you, in which case you can ignore this post.

I am perfectly content with .167 right now. But in my opinion there isn't a solid 5.0 OS yet.

well i cant speak for the streaming music with pandora part as i dont do it..

but i have had no problems with playing music already on my phone.. not even the mute factor.. dont know why.. i just havent..

facebook is not working.. however.. google maps is.. there's an OTA link here in the forums that needs to be downloaded for it to work on 5.0..

i was kind of skeptical about jumping to a 5.0 OS.. but now that i have.. i doubt that i will look back..

the camera is probably the fastest i've had on any OS..

just my .02 cents..
    09-21-09 03:09 PM
    I was told by a VZW manager that it only gets dust under the screen if a seal breaks in which case it is covered by warranty. I've had mine in my dusty pockets for a month now with no problems.
    i was told that if the seal is broken it's specifically NOT under warantee, and that it's an insurance issue...

wtf VZW!!!
    09-21-09 03:10 PM
    i was told that if the seal is broken it's specifically NOT under warantee, and that it's an insurance issue...

wtf VZW!!!
    perhaps you got a bad tech?
    09-21-09 03:11 PM
    as far as the storm full of suck still, i don't think it is...

on .148 it ran as good as any other blackberry that i've ever used, including the tour, and with the later 4.7 builds i see only improvement...5.0 seems like RIM is taking 1 step forward, 3 hour drive backwards...but so far they've all been "developmental" builds...so idk what to think...

at some point 5.0 for the 9530 will have to be a real thing that will be released, but considering that .230 still has major SERVICE IMPACTING bugs, i don't see it being a reality anytime soon.

the storm 2 so far is getting rave reviews from VZW testers that i've talked to, so we'll see how that one goes
    09-21-09 03:12 PM
35 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD