Ok, I'm starting to like the Storm more and more. I gave up my old BlackBerry a while back because my company had us so locked down that it was little more than a giant cell phone. I'm just now starting to learn all of these great new functions.

First question - Are there really on nine speed dial locations for the Storm? Every phone I've owned has had way more than this. Please tell me there is a way to program more than nine.

Second question - As a newbie user, I started just adding numbers and speed dial positions without even thinking about syncing with my Mac first and then adding speed dials. Consequently, I deleted all my speed dials and reassigned them but for some reason, my BB won't let go of them. For instance, I had one guy at 3 but deleted him and reassigned him to 5. Now, even though his speed dial displays at 5, when I press and hold 3, I dial him rather than the person how is assigned there now. I have a few entries that are like this. Does anyone know how to reset these aside from deleting them all and reassigning them? (I've tried that)

Third question - The one-touch speed dial function on my BB only works for numbers 3, 5, and 9. Even the pre-set voicemail function (that cannot be deleted) does not work as a one touch. Any suggestions on this?

Thanks in advance for your help.
    11-23-08 10:06 PM
    I had similar trouble this weekend. In fact, while trying to solve the situation, I wiped my phone twice. I am not sure what exactly causes the issue, but first let me describe what my phone was doing, as far as speed dial:

I had voicemail set to 1 automatically, and I set my wife as #2. Pressing 1 or 2 would do nothing, and pressing 3 would ask if I wanted to set a number for 5. Pressing 9 would dial voicemail. 5 - 8 seemed to be available. After wiping the system, all speed dial numbers were available (but empty, of course) After importing my contacts, I had the same problem as before. I wiped it again, and then JUST transfered my wifes contact info. The bug was back. I deleted her contact info, and made a new one for her with JUST her mobile # and everything worked, and I assigned her to #2. I then added the other contact info to herentry manually and it still worked. At that point I deleted her contact info on my computer, and sent all of my addressbook BACK to the Storm. Everything now works, although I found out last night that my wifes phone is doing the same thing.

I am not saying that all the steps I took are necessary, just documenting the steps I took. If you have more time to play around with it, you may be able to to figure out the true culprit here.

I should also note that I have since added other numbers to my speed dial and they all work.
    Last edited by Ivan-; 11-25-08 at 03:03 PM. Reason: left out vital info
    11-25-08 03:01 PM
    Also, I am pretty sure that simply removing your addressbook will solve the problem. I dont think I needed to wipe the phone.
    11-25-08 03:04 PM
    The lack of speed dials is one of my biggest complaints. I have also tried to move the names once they are on the list and that doesn't work well either. I am very close to bailing on this and going to a curve.
    11-25-08 04:07 PM
    I've found that the speed dial for 1 (voicemail) works intermittently. Sometimes I click the green call button to bring up the dial pad, press and hold 1, nothing happens. Lift finger, press and hold 1 again, nothing happens. If I exit back to home and re-enter the dial screen, pressing and holding 1 works.

This bug needs to be fixed by the next firmware!
    11-25-08 04:39 PM
    Also, I am pretty sure that simply removing your addressbook will solve the problem. I dont think I needed to wipe the phone.
    Ivan,

I ended up doing a wipe after I tried to purge my contacts through PocketMac and everything went seriously haywire. Once I did that, I uploaded everything with Missing Sync and my contacts and calendar worked perfectly. I struggled slightly with uploading the music through Missing Sync but a hard boot of my BB seemed to solve that problem.

Your problems were very similar to mine and since we've both had some success "post wipe", I'd say that's as good a fix as any until a firmware update.

BTW - I've been using my BB all day with the speed dials and it's worked just fine...although I"m holding my breath.

Cheers!!
    11-25-08 05:42 PM
    I've found that the speed dial for 1 (voicemail) works intermittently. Sometimes I click the green call button to bring up the dial pad, press and hold 1, nothing happens. Lift finger, press and hold 1 again, nothing happens. If I exit back to home and re-enter the dial screen, pressing and holding 1 works.

This bug needs to be fixed by the next firmware!
    I also had this problem (among others) until I did a wipe and re-loaded my contacts through Missing Sync. Perhaps it will help you as well.
    11-25-08 05:43 PM
    I have the same issue you guys do. Speed dial is screwed up. I only have 9. Sometimes they don't work. Verizon says they should have 99, we just got unlucky. Even my caller id lies to me half the time and says it is the last person I talked to when it is someone else. Anyone have issues with caller id? They offered me a new one or I can wait for the new os.
    11-26-08 04:14 PM
    I have also had the same issues with the speedial and I am quite irritated with it. Otherwise I really like the phone. Also when I hit the assigned speed dial number and on the off chance it does work it initially connects through my bluetooth headset and then goes back to the handheld. Let me know if anyone can figure out a way to alleviate these issues. Thanks!
    11-30-08 12:24 PM
    wow I haven't had any of this trouble with the speed dial at all. I'm using windows vista and the BB tools device manager. I synched all my contacts and stuff and just set only 6 SDs at this time and I tested them all and they work fine. What I can't figure out is how to just go in and view the speed dial list without having to go through contacts and start to set up a SD. I had pic icons for my speed dial on my treo so I wouldn't forget who was assigned to what number. Is there any way to see the list and then just use it? Or am I doomed to have to remember what number I assigned to somebody (no short term memory, LOL)?
    12-02-08 11:04 PM
    wow I haven't had any of this trouble with the speed dial at all. I'm using windows vista and the BB tools device manager. I synched all my contacts and stuff and just set only 6 SDs at this time and I tested them all and they work fine. What I can't figure out is how to just go in and view the speed dial list without having to go through contacts and start to set up a SD. I had pic icons for my speed dial on my treo so I wouldn't forget who was assigned to what number. Is there any way to see the list and then just use it? Or am I doomed to have to remember what number I assigned to somebody (no short term memory, LOL)?
    when you're in the phone app, press menu... i think there is a view speed dial list/numbers there.
    12-03-08 12:33 AM
    How do you even set a speed dial? I've tried finding the option when I click the blackberry button when one of my contacts is highlighted.

Please help.
    12-26-08 07:43 PM
    In general my speed dial seems to work but I also found that my speed dial didn't work correctly with my Motorola bluetooth headset. When I held the speed dial button down ( didn't matter which one ) the heaset beeped a couple times and wend quiet and all the audio went thru the phone's mic and speaker.

The headset works fine when dialing numbers on the phones keypad/screen just not the speed dial numbers.

Is there something I'm doing wrong here? Can I speed dial via "voice dialing"?

Thanks,
    01-05-09 01:06 PM
    I'm able to set and use speed dials, but moving the speed dials from one number to another is impossible. There is some kind of bug that does not allow me to exit out of the "move" function on the speed dial screen.
    01-06-09 10:58 AM
    Bring up your speed dial list

Bring up the keyboard

Highlight the number you want to move

BB Key - Move

Select New location

Press the RETURN key on the keyboard

The number is now locked to the new location.

01-10-09 04:16 PM
    I don't mind only nine speed dials. I would like to hit the number and then hit send instead of having to hold

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-10-09 04:44 PM
    Bring up your speed dial list

Bring up the keyboard

Highlight the number you want to move

BB Key - Move

Select New location

Press the RETURN key on the keyboard

The number is now locked to the new location.

Thank you very much for this info! I was trying for several minutes to move my contacts around in the speed dial list. I could not get my changes to stick. It did not occur to me once to bring up the keyboard and hit 'return'. I found your post and my problems were solved
    01-29-09 06:52 PM
    In general my speed dial seems to work but I also found that my speed dial didn't work correctly with my Motorola bluetooth headset. When I held the speed dial button down ( didn't matter which one ) the heaset beeped a couple times and wend quiet and all the audio went thru the phone's mic and speaker.

The headset works fine when dialing numbers on the phones keypad/screen just not the speed dial numbers.

Is there something I'm doing wrong here? Can I speed dial via "voice dialing"?

Thanks,
    I'm having the exact same problem, does anyone have a solution to this?
    02-11-09 06:13 PM
    I don't mind only nine speed dials. I would like to hit the number and then hit send instead of having to hold

Agreed. Although now that I know how bit works ill have to try changing my behavior.

02-19-09 01:38 PM
    I fixed my problem by setting to reduced keyboard in portrait mode. When I use full QWERTY in portrait I get the speed dial problem, but in reduced it works correctly.

I don't know if this is only a OS 5 4.19 problem but this is only time I have noticed it!
    01-19-10 08:50 PM
    I fixed my problem by setting to reduced keyboard in portrait mode. When I use full QWERTY in portrait I get the speed dial problem, but in reduced it works correctly.

I don't know if this is only a OS 5 4.19 problem but this is only time I have noticed it!
    Thanks SkeardyKat!!!

I also had the same issue. Once I went back to reduced keyboard, all is well.
    02-02-10 09:21 PM
    I set my speed dial numbers but yet only 2 of the numbers work and the rest do nothing....the 2 that work arent even the right people...someone got same problem?....any solutions?...i tried reinstall and battery pull...doesnt help
    02-04-10 04:37 PM
    Thanks SkeardyKat!!!

I also had the same issue. Once I went back to reduced keyboard, all is well.
    yess...it worked!
    02-04-10 04:39 PM

This solution worked for us here. It would appear to be an issue with the Full Keyboard. I ran the setup wizard and switched to 'Sure Type', and everything worked after that.

Crossing my fingers that it continues to work.

Thanks.
    08-01-10 11:46 PM
    If you (like me) are determined to have a full keyboard in portrait mode, I should tell you that, on my phone at least, there is an odd (but effective) work-around. If you activate phone mode while the device is in a landscape orientation, the speed dial works properly. Even if you re-orient the device to portrait before actually using speed dial, as long as the device is sideways when phone mode is activated, the speed dial works fine (but only for one instance of speed dialling - if you want to speed dial a second number, you have to leave the phone screen, re-orient the device to landscape, re-activate phone mode and then speed dial as normally; not as painful as I have made it sound!)
    11-18-10 01:18 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD