My orginal Storm has been great until now. It now seems to be slowing downing as if the memory is getting over loaded. I only have two additional programs on board and no music.

Any ideas?
    01-01-09 09:10 AM
    Check to see if you have a lot of apps running.

Clear out your Internet history and cache

Do a battery pull.
    01-01-09 09:20 AM
    This is what I do:

1. Clear Internet history and cache
    2. Clear Event Logs
    3. Run Memory Cleaner
    4. Do a battery pull (I installed QuickPull from the OTA Apps Thread, it's great and easy.)

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-01-09 09:29 AM
    This is what I do:

2. Clear Event Logs
    3. Run Memory Cleaner
    4. Do a battery pull (I installed QuickPull from the OTA Apps Thread, it's great and easy.)

Thanks for the quickpull suggestion, I just went and got it. But how do you clear the event logs?
    01-01-09 10:06 AM
    Thanks for the quickpull suggestion, I just went and got it. But how do you clear the event logs?
    - put your phone in landscape mode.
    - show the keyboard.
    - Press and hold the button that has "!?123" on it.
    - press " / "/
    - event log will come up
    - menu button - second option is "Clear Log"

ta da
    01-01-09 10:36 AM
    - put your phone in landscape mode.
    - show the keyboard.
    - Press and hold the button that has "!?123" on it.
    - press " / "/
    - event log will come up
    - menu button - second option is "Clear Log"

ta da
    I was having major problems (2 to 3 battery pulls a day, freezes) until I discovered all of these different memories to clear!

Now I clear the browser cache, memory clean manually, and have deleted the event log.

Im not sure which of these fixed my problems, but I am in love again with the storm!
    01-13-09 11:46 PM
    That didn't work to access the event log for me...

01-13-09 11:53 PM
    I follow these steps every morning as the phone is rebooting I am showering. When I am done so is the storm. I use softreset instead of quick pull. I'm golden all day.

Last edited by pkcable; 01-14-09 at 12:03 AM.
    01-13-09 11:59 PM
    This is what I do:

2. Clear Event Logs
    3. Run Memory Cleaner

can you please tell me how to clear the internet history and cache as well as run a memory cleaner?

also, what does clearing the event logs do? what is actually being cleared?

thanks in advance.
    01-14-09 12:02 AM
    For internet start up the browser then press the blackberry key then select options then cache options. For memory cleaning press the options icon then select security then memory cleaning then enable it, then press BlackBerry button then select clean now.

01-14-09 12:08 AM
    For internet start up the browser then press the blackberry key then select options then cache options. For memory cleaning press the options icon then select security then memory cleaning then enable it, then press BlackBerry button then select clean now.

thanks alot. your info was a great help.

do i need to disable the memory cleanup each time? i am not sure if i should keep it enabled all the time? i simply enabled, performed the clean up, and returned the setting to disabled.
    01-14-09 12:21 AM
    Good tips here guys. Thanks very much. Would never get this stuff out of the manual.
    06-15-09 07:25 AM
    I can't believe you guys do this every day. Does you browser cache and event logs fill up that fast? What in the world are you guys doing with your phones that demands this type of daily cleaning?
    06-15-09 11:26 AM
    PK is still helpin people...good work. all the suggestions are good ones.

citi:

browser cache and event logs are something you do when you get the lag. for me anyway. idk about everyone else.

i don't get OCD on this stuff. just use the phone until there is a problem, then troubleshoot.
    06-15-09 12:02 PM
    Hey all,

I don't meant to hijack, but I'm also having similar issues with my phone after upgrading to .148. Prior to the upgrade, everything was gravy.

Basically, the phone freezes up for 10 seconds at a time on various tasks, i.e. texting, dialing a phone number, opening QL, scrolling through icons, etc. I don't know what triggers it, but it does happen fairly frequently at about 60% of the time I handle the phone.

I have searched through the forums and have taken the following steps:

- Cleared event log
    - Cleared browser cache, pushed content, etc.
    - Deleted unused apps
    - Batt pull
    - Memory cleaner via meterberry

However, none of the above methods have succeeded in reducing, much less eliminating, the freezes.

Is there anything else I can do before I request a replacement from VZW?
    06-16-09 11:48 AM
    Apps or themes loaded?

06-16-09 11:50 AM
    In terms of 3rd party apps:
    - BerryBuzz 1.0.25
    - CB Launcher 2.0.3.5
    - Gmail 2.0.7
    - Google Maps 3.0.2
    - Google Sync 0.5.13
    - Patternlock 1.1.7.1
    - Quicklaunch 2.07
    - TodoMatrix 2009.01.05.47
    - Berryweather 1.0.43

Theme: Simple White Viper Remix (Clear Banners)
    06-16-09 12:48 PM
    QL is the only one I have that I can confirm doesn't cause problems. Everything else is a potential resource hog. I say lose everything but QL and see if it persists, then add em back one st a time. Give it awhile between adding apps so you can see if it slows down. I usually say one every 24 hours. If you need more help email me. [email protected]

06-16-09 12:55 PM
    Thanks patches. The problem is that none of this happened with any of the other OS' I installed. The stalls only started happening after I updated to .148.

I should mention that I have a shrunken OS, but I don't know how this would be detrimental to the performance of the phone; if anything a shrunken OS should speed up performance, no?
    06-16-09 01:01 PM
    .148 has some changes in the OS on how memory is managed. So shrinking just makes the OS smaller, leaving more app memory for apps and user info. If your apps are bad leakers or resource hogs, having 100mb of free space won't matter. My ohone hovers between 32 and 48. But it runs the same on 12. So I say lose the apps and see how you do.

06-16-09 01:09 PM
    Gotcha, I'll give it a whirl.
    06-16-09 01:20 PM
    Hey all,

I don't meant to hijack, but I'm also having similar issues with my phone after upgrading to .148. Prior to the upgrade, everything was gravy.

Basically, the phone freezes up for 10 seconds at a time on various tasks, i.e. texting, dialing a phone number, opening QL, scrolling through icons, etc. I don't know what triggers it, but it does happen fairly frequently at about 60% of the time I handle the phone.

I have searched through the forums and have taken the following steps:

- Cleared event log
    - Cleared browser cache, pushed content, etc.
    - Deleted unused apps
    - Batt pull
    - Memory cleaner via meterberry

However, none of the above methods have succeeded in reducing, much less eliminating, the freezes.

Is there anything else I can do before I request a replacement from VZW?
    are you runnung a 3rd party theme? i had the same lag but when i switched back to Zen my storm runs perfect now. i was running .148 when i experienced this problem. hope that helps...
    06-16-09 01:41 PM
    theme is the #1 thing you should get rid of IMO. they do more harm than good. on the previous phones (non-storm phones anyway) it seems that thems are a huge benefit, especially today themes with more icons on the home screen. not so much with the storm.
    06-16-09 02:55 PM
    theme is the #1 thing you should get rid of IMO. they do more harm than good. on the previous phones (non-storm phones anyway) it seems that thems are a huge benefit, especially today themes with more icons on the home screen. not so much with the storm.
    I've read a lot of those posts, but I'm not sure why they're such a drain on the Storm. I figure they're probably similar to applications that are constantly on, but there has to be more than that if they're such an issue. Any thoughts?
    06-16-09 03:56 PM
    well a lot of apps are large and suck up resources, just to make your phone look different. it doesn't really improve any function other than changing what apps are on what screen, and what they look like. IMO themes are pretty pointless, especially when they ruin your phone as much as they do with the storm. they lose their novelty rather quickly. unless you're just having the phone to rub in other people's faces and show it off, etc.
    06-16-09 04:07 PM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD