Is it possible to put the Storm's VodaPhone SIM card into another GSM phone such as the sidekick and have it work off your Verizon plan??
    06-08-09 08:48 PM
    Sorry, not possible.
    06-08-09 08:57 PM
    it doent have to be a sidekick. any other GSM phone wont work?
    06-08-09 08:58 PM
    Wow, three carrier names in one sentence... Someone is confused...
    06-08-09 09:01 PM
    it doent have to be a sidekick. any other GSM phone wont work?
    There is not a single GSM phone that will work on Verizon's network. The SIM card is only for international roaming. Unless you're out of the country and still want to use Verizon's network, it's useless.
    06-08-09 09:03 PM
    im asking for your help. and no im not confused. You are. I want to put the STORMS sim card into a SIDEKICK which is a GSM phone unlike most verizon GSM phones. OK?? Good
    06-08-09 09:03 PM
    It is not the phone; it is the carrier. Verizon is CDMA; and will not recognize a GSM phone.

It is not like with the GSM were you can switch between different handsets by using your sim card.
    06-08-09 09:04 PM
    but if the sim card is international shouldnt i be able to set the sidekicks home country to like mexico and then use it here in the US? making the service think im international?
    06-08-09 09:05 PM
    but if the sim card is international shouldnt i be able to set the sidekicks home country to like mexico and then use it here in the US? making the service think im international?
    No. Listen, Verizon's network is CDMA. The Sidekick is GSM. They are two completely different network technologies. No matter what you do or try, it will not work. There is no possible way. The Sidekick does not support CDMA networks. It's IMPOSSIBLE.
    06-08-09 09:06 PM
    i know all of that. The only reason im asking is because i updated my STorm and it turned on and said would you like to Use CDMA or GSM and since the storm is on verizon and supports GSM shouldnt i be able to use the optional SIM running off the BB service (VodaPhone) in a GSM?
    06-08-09 09:08 PM
    i know all of that. The only reason im asking is because i updated my STorm and it turned on and said would you like to Use CDMA or GSM and since the storm is on verizon and supports GSM shouldnt i be able to use the optional SIM running off the BB service (VodaPhone) in a GSM?
    No. The Storm is one of the only CDMA phones that also supports GSM.
    Look, I don't know how much more I can explain this, but the SIM card in the Storm doesn't work like a typical SIM card. You can't take it out and put it in a different phone like you can with ordinary GSM phones and SIM cards. The SIM card in the Storm has nothing to do with being able to operate on Verizon's CDMA network.
    06-08-09 09:11 PM
    For clarification Vodaphone is a carrier in the UK and Europe... Not whatever you think you are...

Secondly, Verizon doesn't have a GSM network in the US. The phone supports GSM, yes, but connects only to Verizon international parteners (outside of the US) [locked].
    06-08-09 09:13 PM
    So what is the SIM card there for?
    06-08-09 09:13 PM
    So what is the SIM card there for?
    When you go overseas, you will connect to Verizon's parterners. In the US, it's useless.
    06-08-09 09:14 PM
    Why do you want to run it off the SIM anyway? In the states you wont have 1XEV for coverage using the SIM. Mine is unlocked and only EDGE with ATT so just stick with Verizon CDMA or unlock and go to another carrier.
    06-08-09 09:14 PM
    So theres no way to have a SideKick on verizon? at all? i dont care if i have to hack it with hardware or anything. theres no way whatsoever??
    06-08-09 09:17 PM
    So theres no way to have a SideKick on verizon? at all? i dont care if i have to hack it with hardware or anything. theres no way whatsoever??
    No.

10char
    06-08-09 09:18 PM
    Thats so stupid
    06-08-09 09:20 PM
    Thats so stupid
    Why is that stupid? They are 2 different networks. Switch to t-mobile.
    06-08-09 10:47 PM
    I'm just going to say what everyone is thinking. JUST GIVE UP, ITS IMPOSSIBLE, PERIOD. It doesn't matter if you have super 1337 soldering skillz, you wont be able to do it or get it done for any price. The Vodafone SIM can't be used in different phones, just other carriers' SIMs [AT&T, T-mo, etc.] can be used in the Storm.
    06-09-09 01:12 AM
    It will ONLY work OUTSIDE of the US.

We do NOT have roaming agreements with AT&T, T-Mobile USA, etc...

If you're honestly interested in doing this for international roaming, give us a call and we can unlock the card if your account is in good standing. (Other conditions may apply, only one phone will work on your phone number at a time, yadda yadda yadda...)
    06-09-09 01:28 AM
    I have the solution to your problem buddy.. First what you do is take $20 US and go to Wal-Mart and get a label maker. Put batteries in it. Turn it on. Type the word Sidekick. Now for the tricky part take the sticker and put it on the case to your Storm.... Voila! you have a Sidekick that works on Verizion's CDMA net work..... and you will win at life!
    06-09-09 07:49 AM
    It's been rumored, perhaps more than that, that the carriers once on 4G, LTE networks will have true interoperability between phones. That is once your contract is up you can take your 4G/LTE phone to another carrier. Verizon has said they are on board for this.

Unfortunately right now your only option to get a sidekick is to go to Tmobile.
    06-09-09 07:54 AM
    It's been rumored, perhaps more than that, that the carriers once on 4G, LTE networks will have true interoperability between phones. That is once your contract is up you can take your 4G/LTE phone to another carrier. Verizon has said they are on board for this.

Unfortunately right now your only option to get a sidekick is to go to Tmobile.
    Ok that was my conclusion on all of this. Once Verizon comes out with their LTE 4G network in 2010 using your BB Storm sim card in the Iphone will def work.

Sorry so late
    08-10-09 02:40 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD