I use one of the Verizon wireless network extenders which works great, btw. I live in the outskirts vz coverage and my Storm would drop calls as I was only getting 1 bar of 1XEV coverage to no bars depending on the room. Anyway, now that I have the network extender, it provides me with 5 bars of 1X coverage which is great for me because my problem was with phone calls dropping, not data issues (have wifi at home so I use the laptop for any meaningful stuff).

Now to my question. The storm does not show two separate sets of bars like my old LG enV and many other vz phones do. On my old phone I had a set of bars for 1X coverage and a separate set of bars for evdo coverage. I know that the storm combines these two into a single indicator. So at home, even though I have 1 bar of 1XEV coverage and 5 bars of 1X coverage, the combined signal displayed on the phone is 5 bars of 1XEV which is very misleading.

My question is if it is possible for my display to show this inaccuracy outside my home, away from the network extender. Is it possible for me to be somewhere where the 1X coverage is better than 1XEV and have this issue where I really don't know how good a signal I'm getting for 1XEV because the 2 signals are combined on the display?

My other question is if it would be possible for a 3rd party app to show both signals separately or is this something the OS or API do not support? I don't mean replacing the existing indicator. Just an app I could run if I wanted to check the real signal levels.

Again, I'm wondering if the scenario created by my network extender is really plausible outside my home. If it isn't, then I guess I don't really have an issue with the indicator.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-04-09 08:55 AM
    Bump for the storm experts out there. Any ideas?
    07-04-09 10:40 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD