Hey guys,

I really hope I don't get flamed in only my 2nd thread here, but I'm just looking for some direction ahead of time.

My Storm is showing up tomorrow (it was a heck of a deal, two new Blackberry's for $100 through Verizon BOGO, wife got the Tour and I'm TRYING the Storm)
    I'm not asking for specifics as I know I will have to do searches for whatever I need to do. I just want to know what things I should be doing right off the bat with this thing. I would MUCH rather do some upgrades/hacks right off the bat BEFORE I load any info or apps into the phone.

Like I said, I'm not looking for any special handouts and I don't mind searching. I just want to know what I should do or look for right out of the box. I've read more than a few threads that are making me not even want to mess with the thing and send it right back, but I have 30 days to play and I don't mind working on stuff.

Thanks for any help fellas.

-Brad
    09-10-09 08:37 PM
    Welcome,

First things first is the layout of the phone. Do you like the Zen theme? or are you looking for something different? (i.e. wallpaper theme which shows as much as the wallpaper as possible) I suggest you check out this theme. Elle

Secondly from the sound of others who also bought the storm recently you may have to do a wireless upgrade, However I suggest you upload a leaked OS. My preference is 4.7.0.151 It has been very good to me so far. I don't have a link for that one but its on all over the place here.

I am an avid facebook user so I am unable to use the 5.0 leaks as of yet (cause facebook doesn't work on them, however the browser work around might be just as good for some), so check out any 5.0.0.191 OS leaks, that one seems to be the best 5.0 leak.

After that I would suggest you pack it back into the box all nice and neat, go back to the Verizon store and return it. Speculation of the Storm 2 coming in October has been rumored. Take advantage of the 30 day trial but don't go over that otherwise you are stuck in a contract with a phone that it sub par of what a real smart phone should be.

OHH yeah make sure you install 4.7.0.147 back on the phone before you do cause thats the latest verizon OS.

Good luck take care and have fun.
    09-10-09 10:18 PM
    +1. Storm 2 FTW

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-10-09 10:29 PM
    just go to the app store and check around...u can always delete the apps u dont like. do not pay for themes!!! they are all over the internet free. make sure it has the .148. i wouldnt do any up grades to the leaks,they are nothing but trouble. stay with.148 if u want it to work correctly. it voids ur warranty if u use leaked crap. its a headache. have fun with it. app store is only a click away and they have freebies.
    09-10-09 11:11 PM
    just go to the app store and check around...u can always delete the apps u dont like. do not pay for themes!!! they are all over the internet free. make sure it has the .148. i wouldnt do any up grades to the leaks,they are nothing but trouble. stay with.148 if u want it to work correctly. it voids ur warranty if u use leaked crap. its a headache. have fun with it. app store is only a click away and they have freebies.
    I couldn't disagree more with that statement. If you want to use your 30 days with the best storm possible, I would upgrade to .151 atleast. Make sure you do your backups.
    09-10-09 11:20 PM
    Welcome Brad! And no worries if anyone flames you I will beat them silly with my mod stick.
    09-10-09 11:24 PM
    I couldn't disagree more with that statement. If you want to use your 30 days with the best storm possible, I would upgrade to .151 atleast. Make sure you do your backups.
    Completely agreed, the stock OS is terrible. Choose your OS well:

.151=horrible streaming of Slacker and Pandora... Don't even try.

.167=not compatible with most themes.

Both are good solid builds, so take your pick of the two.
    09-10-09 11:25 PM
    I understand what you guys are saying about just waiting for the S2, however since this was part of the Blackberry BOGO, I HIGHLY doubt they would let me get an S2 for FREE (or even a discount for that matter). Honestly, I doubt I would even be messing with the S1 if it weren't free.

The better question is: for a FREE phone.....is the S1 solid enough to keep any of you happy for another year & half?

If I send the Storm right back, I was maybe gonna get a Tour (BOGO qualified), loot and pillage for the S2, or just wait for the iPhone (which a Verizon rep told me was targeted to hit by the end of this year).
    Last edited by ZooBerry; 09-10-09 at 11:29 PM.
    09-10-09 11:26 PM
    Welcome dude!
    09-10-09 11:34 PM
    The better question is: for a FREE phone.....is the S1 solid enough to keep any of you happy for another year & half?
    I think so - I totally LOVE my Storm. There is NO WAY I'm paying full price for a S2 so unless I get some kind of discount or find it for cheap. I have no problem using this phone for the next 18 months. Wish I had got mine for free
    09-10-09 11:39 PM
    welcome to to the world of addiction!

good luck with all the upgrades and apps...its nothing but fun!
    09-10-09 11:39 PM
    good luck with all the upgrades and apps...its nothing but fun!
    If you're only running .148 like your signature states then your missing out on some of the fun!
    09-10-09 11:48 PM
    Welcome to the NATION !!
    09-11-09 06:36 AM
    Welcome Brad! And no worries if anyone flames you I will beat them silly with my mod stick.
    And let me tell you it hurts dude. The main thing I say is be patient with it and immediately read up on how to upgrade. .148 is OK but it's not the best thing available. If you're with Verizon you have 30 days to exchange so make the most of it to decide if this is truly the phone you want to stay with. You're either going to love it or hate it. There is no middle ground.

Welcome to the forum.
    09-11-09 07:05 AM
    I'm really happy with my Storm. I have beat this thing to death literally. I once left it sitting on my jeep tire, ran over the thing, cracked the screen, and we still able to slightly function. Went to verizon, as I have insurance, and for 50 buck was back in a new storm (well I'm sure it's refurbished). I honestly say, it's worth waiting for about 6 mo to a yr to update to the S2 if you are new to the storms. Just as the S1 originally had a memory issue that constantly forced it to reset, it's worth the wait to let people who are experienced with "Beta" devices to push all the defects up and get them fixed with a second push of OS update. At least that's my opinion. I'm planning on doing what i can to upgrade, but then I'm one of those that uses every function on the phone, So i'm used to expecting to run into problems, and they don't tend to turn me away from a product. The Storm is a phenomenal phone. Enjoy your new phone, Honestly after your wife sees you using your phone, she's going to want one as well. I got my GF the 9500 since she's in Europe, and she's like me, She cant imagine going to any other type of phone.
    09-11-09 08:13 AM
    .....and the unboxing begins......
    09-11-09 03:46 PM
    QFE. Just started running it about a week ago and can't get enough of it.
    09-11-09 03:52 PM
    ....already notice that the screen doesn't "click" in two of the four corners.....
    09-11-09 03:55 PM
    I will always recommend .191 but that's just because I am loving 5.0, as for what others have said about Storm 2, I agree 110%. I suggest you return the phone before the 30 days are up because you are in store for a far better phone if you hold off until the release of the Storm 2 (which looks to be end of october, mid november release )
    09-11-09 04:02 PM
    software does not void warranty.

leaked software is just unsupported.
    09-11-09 04:06 PM
    software does not void warranty.

leaked software is just unsupported.
    Yep, you are completely right, They have no way of telling if you even used leaked software as long as you wipe the phone and reinstall the legit OS
    09-11-09 04:09 PM
    if you dont mind using the default theme go with .167 it might be the best build to date if it only had more then the default theme suppost but i can live with it! can you?
    09-11-09 04:11 PM
    FYI- once piece of cardstock folded in half and trimmed to 1"x3/4" and fit under the battery to the terminal side and centered did the trick for the click issue. Battery fit real snug and back plate still fit on fine.

So how much do you guys think the S2 will go for on new contract/renewal?
    09-11-09 04:32 PM
    FYI- once piece of cardstock folded in half and trimmed to 1"x3/4" and fit under the battery to the terminal side and centered did the trick for the click issue. Battery fit real snug and back plate still fit on fine.

So how much do you guys think the S2 will go for on new contract/renewal?
    most likely the same starting price as the storm1 back in nov2008
    09-11-09 04:38 PM
    What were/are the issues with .148? I'm just playing around with the phone and everything seems to be working ok. (for now) Memory hovering around 38MB. I haven't put any apps on it yet though.

I don't know man. The S1 is still way better than my current phone (Samsung SCH-U740 aka Alias) and it is free. I know that S2 is coming (at a price) as well as the iPhone 3GS.

With the cardstock under the battery mod I did, the click screen really isn't bothering me. As long as the OS stays stable and I don't develop the dreaded memory leak.....I may just keep this thing. Is there a step by step post for wiping the OS and reinstalling the most stable and full featured one? I WANT Facebook etc. and my camera/camcorder to work properly.

Thanks for the input everyone.

-Brad
    09-11-09 05:43 PM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD