Hi all, the screen on my blackberry storm today has just gone dim. Nothing happened, it didn't get wet, i didn't drop it, nothing. I've tried to adjust all the settings, do battery pulls, plug it in, etc. Nothing seems to work. It appears that the screen sometimes struggles to get brighter, but then just gets darker. Is there anything i can do?
    12-27-09 02:36 PM
    What operating system are you on? .328 has a dimming bug where it intermittently dims and lights, but it wouldn't surprise me if it just stayed dim.
    12-27-09 02:53 PM
    I'm not sure, is there a way to see exactly? I did the big OS update a couple months ago that improved the scrolling, typing etc.
    12-27-09 03:00 PM
    Options > About
    12-27-09 03:17 PM
    yes, it is .328

Should i try to upgrade to a new system? I've had this OS for about 2 months with no problems at all. Is it likely that that's the issue?
    12-27-09 03:20 PM
    What's troubling about your issue is the fact that the screen always stays dim. That wasn't the bug that most users experienced. The screen would dim when turning the phone to landscape mode.

You appear to have a different problem. It may actually be failing. It wouldn't hurt to try .419, but I'm thinking it won't help. Your choice.
    12-27-09 03:23 PM
    i'm wondering if it has something to do with the light sensor. usually, if it was dim and i held it to a light it would brighten up, but it doesn't do that now. is there any way to tell if that's the issue?
    12-27-09 03:26 PM
    Try running a systems test on the light sensing diode.

Just go to Options > Status > BB Menu > Show Keyboard

After that type "test" (without quotes) and it will take you to the diagnostic testing screen.

From here, hit the BB Menu > Start > check the Misc box > Start (at the bottom)

the first screen should give you a Light Sensor Raw Reading with a number. 0 is pitch black and higher numbers are brighter light by the light sensing diode. The diode itself is located inside the LED (blinks for messages, calls, etc.).

Just put your finger over the LED and see if the number goes down. Remove your finger and watch the number go up. If the number doesn't change, then you have something broken.
    12-27-09 04:01 PM
    Yeah I have that version and it's a minor annoyance but I quickly got used to the screen dimming/brightening whenever it feels like it. I guess this is the most recent version for VZW (.328)?

Tried that test you laid out stillborn and even with auto-dim disabled it still dimmed the screen according to light levels, which wouldn't bother me if it behaved like it should. Ah well... they fix one thing and something else screws up.
    01-09-10 01:23 PM
    Perfectly Unkept

Did you ever fix the issue? I am having the same issue with Ver 5 os but if I downdgrade to 4 the device works properly so its not the device
    02-03-10 08:30 PM
    I had this issue on my replacement storm that I had. Regardless of available light it was always dim until I turned off Auto Dimming with .328. Got .419 and it went away
    02-03-10 09:10 PM
    mine isnt really dim its blank. Light turns on but you cant see anything on the screen. If you reboot it works fine as long as you dont allow it to go into sleep then it wont come back out

But if I downgrade to 4.7 it works without issue
    Last edited by cydog3; 02-04-10 at 06:27 AM.
    02-03-10 09:24 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD