I know that a few of these threads have already been started, but I'm curious as to whether anyone has had any luck.

The problem: you can't lock the screen while in a call (which is stupid)

AutoLock does NOT work, we've established that, though it does work to auto-lock the screen when it goes into standby.

That being said, has anyone complained to Blackberry? Is there "best" way of doing this? It should be a very simple firmware fix--just enable the lock button and you're good to go, so I don't see why this won't make it in to the next update.

Anyway, lemme know if you guys have anything new!

By the way, this is my first post! Hello everyone!
    12-08-08 04:20 PM
    Honestly, that sounds like a very good question.........and an even better idea. Lock the phone on a call, so there is zero chance of hitting the mute button with your cheek. I've only had it happen once, but I know people are complaining about it. This is an easy fix if RIM decides to do it.
    12-08-08 04:40 PM
    As suggested to me by Civic, I sent an e-mail with all my suggestions to [email protected]. You should do the same.

FYI, my suggestions/comments were:

1. Application memory allocation should be at least 256MB. The current 128MB is not sufficient and leaves no more than ~47MB after a battery pull.

2. The functionality of the mute button should be changed to allow the Storm to go into standby by holding down the button for a few seconds. This is how my prior Blackberry worked.

3. During phone operation, my face sometimes clicks the screen, unintentionally clicking the mute or other buttons. There should be a button to disable the buttons during a call.

4. A tab button should be added to the on screen keyboard.

5. Camera operation should be sped up. It takes up to five seconds to take a photo.

6. The clock is too bright in bedside mode, even when the screen brightness is dimmed to the lowest level.
    12-08-08 04:43 PM
    What about pressing the on-screen number pad button after the call is connected? Then the mute option is not available...
    12-08-08 04:49 PM
    your number 5 is false. the picture is taken when you fully press the camera button. the processing and such blacks the screen and delays the shutter sound... but try this-- press the camera/shutter button, then immediately (not before, mind you) move the camera. you'll note that the picture is what you intended, even though it took a few seconds to display.
    12-08-08 05:08 PM
    Thanks for the suggestions!

As far as bringing up the number pad, I don't want people on the other line to hear key tones every few minutes if I keep hitting the screen with my cheeks . . .
    12-08-08 05:11 PM
    your number 5 is false. the picture is taken when you fully press the camera button. the processing and such blacks the screen and delays the shutter sound... but try this-- press the camera/shutter button, then immediately (not before, mind you) move the camera. you'll note that the picture is what you intended, even though it took a few seconds to display.
    My comment #5 is 100% accurate for MY Storm.

I just tried what you asked me to do and mine doesn't work the way yours apparently does. Mine takes a photo at about the same as the click, which takes about 3 seconds.

I sure wish it wouldn't do that.
    12-08-08 05:16 PM
    My comment #5 is 100% accurate for MY Storm.

I just tried what you asked me to do and mine doesn't work the way yours apparently does. Mine takes a photo at about the same as the click, which takes about 3 seconds.

I sure wish it wouldn't do that.
    Mine is somewhere between the two. After clicking i turned the camera and got a blurred image of something that was in its view after the click but before the sound.
    12-08-08 05:29 PM
    Here is a suggestion. When making a phone call, after dialing hit the escape key ( the arrow) and you will get a prompt that says continue call and exit to home screen. You can still end the convo by hitting the red key and if you need to get back to the phone app... just hit the green key... works great!!!!
    12-08-08 05:32 PM
    Here is a suggestion. When making a phone call, after dialing hit the escape key ( the arrow) and you will get a prompt that says continue call and exit to home screen. You can still end the convo by hitting the red key and if you need to get back to the phone app... just hit the green key... works great!!!!
    That's a nice work-around til RIM fixes that issue.
    Thanks!

Edit: I added your tip to the Sticky tips and tricks thread (giving you full credit, of course!)
    Last edited by MPSmith1; 12-08-08 at 05:42 PM.
    12-08-08 05:38 PM
    Does anyone else get annoyed by the screen rotating when its locked? Maybe it's just me - but having the option to disable the accelerometer when locked would be awesome. Does that make sense to other people as well?
    12-08-08 06:54 PM
    Does anyone else get annoyed by the screen rotating when its locked? Maybe it's just me - but having the option to disable the accelerometer when locked would be awesome. Does that make sense to other people as well?
    I disagree. I WANT it to rotate when locked, so it can be ready to enter my password in landscape.
    12-08-08 07:03 PM
    my "screen lock" now comes randomly and it kicks me out of what I am doing even hanging up phone calls. No, im not pressing the top button by accident. sometimes, it locks - I click anywhere on the screen - it unlocks - I try to type - It clears the screen and locks - and I want my curve back. any help here?
    12-11-08 10:11 PM
    and I want my curve back. any help here?
    Absolutely I can help. Return your Storm since you got it less than 30 days ago, get all your money back and then get a Curve again. See, wasn't that easy?
    12-11-08 10:15 PM
    I disagree. I WANT it to rotate when locked, so it can be ready to enter my password in landscape.

I guess you didn't see his post fully... he said have the OPTION.. so that means it wouldn't effect you in anyway. I understand you wouldn't use the option and you answered his question on how you feel but the fact of having the option would still be nice for others who want it
    12-11-08 10:15 PM
    I guess you didn't see his post fully... he said have the OPTION.. so that means it wouldn't effect you in anyway. I understand you wouldn't use the option and you answered his question on how you feel but the fact of having the option would still be nice for others who want it
    No, I read his entire post. I just disagree that it is annoying. That's all.
    12-11-08 10:19 PM
    See, wasn't that easy?
    - hmmm - is it that bad having a storm MP?
    12-11-08 10:45 PM
    - hmmm - is it that bad having a storm MP?
    Nope. I love mine. The poster said he/she wanted the curve back and needed help. IMHO, they didn't seem to understand the return policy.

The net of it is....If you want help figuring out how to fix a problem. Do a search and its likely your question will be answered. If you can't find the answer, post in a thread and I guarantee....You WILL get help.

But if you whine that you want your old phone back, my answer is, GO DO IT! ITS NOT HARD!
    12-11-08 10:52 PM
    I'm curious what Crucial_extreme was talking about when this topic came up before the storm was out and he said don't u think they already though of that... I'm wondering if this wasn't a problem on the test phones and maybe there is a software change or hardware change that caused it? Anyway it is very annoying and I still cannot believe BB would let this go out the way it is.
    12-12-08 01:16 AM
    is there not a light sensor on the storm? I saw in the feature list that it mentioned something about light sensitive screen.

The Dare and the iPhone both have that feature. When you cover the light sensor the screen instantly goes black.
    12-12-08 01:26 AM
    I believe the others have a proximity detector to shut off the screen but apparently the storm doesn't, I just hope there is a fix for this cus it is the one thing that I am not sure I can live with. The rest I'm willing to wait on for a fix or refinement but this is so basic that it needs addressing.
    12-12-08 01:46 AM
    So I've run into this a few times, and have written a little app to help. Inspired by the "slide to unlock" feature on the iphone, this app listens for a phone call, and after your call is conected, takes over the screen and intercepts all touch events. As a result, accidental "chin presses" and such don't do anything.

When you end a call, the lock is automatically removed. You can also unlock it by hand at any time by sliding your finger across the touch screen.

The attached picture provides an example. If you think this might help, I'll make it available for (free) download.

Mike Walker
    CellAvant, Inc.
    BlackBerry Application Developer, BlackBerry Alliance Member Developer
    12-12-08 09:14 AM
    for it to work
    12-12-08 09:15 AM
    So I've run into this a few times, and have written a little app to help. Inspired by the "slide to unlock" feature on the iphone, this app listens for a phone call, and after your call is conected, takes over the screen and intercepts all touch events. As a result, accidental "chin presses" and such don't do anything.

When you end a call, the lock is automatically removed. You can also unlock it by hand at any time by sliding your finger across the touch screen.

The attached picture provides an example. If you think this might help, I'll make it available for (free) download.

Mike Walker
    CellAvant, Inc.
    BlackBerry Application Developer, BlackBerry Alliance Member Developer
    I'd sure be interested. Be sure to add a PayPal donation link. I'm sure some people would pay for it if it worked well.
    12-12-08 09:18 AM
    I'd sure be interested. Be sure to add a PayPal donation link. I'm sure some people would pay for it if it worked well.
    Watch out on the donation links... that's not allowed and will get ya in trouble with the managers here. Happened to the guy who's posting the OTA apps thread. But as for your app I think it's a great idea and I'll be looking for it. Free or not!
    12-13-08 09:32 AM
162 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD