Recently my BlackBerry Storm has developed a strange screen click issue that I've searched and haven't found listed elsewhere (unless my search wasn't thorough enough). Someone had something similar and someone suggested it be a theme issue yet I haven't altered my theme from the stock.

When highlighting and clicking one of the icons on the bottom of the screen it will highlight the top part of the screen (Clock, Volume, Or Manage Connections) depending on where I click.

EG: If I try and click on the lower left hand side (where either my Messages (or Calendar) are it will highlight Sounds at the top of the screen.

This has been happening more and more. The phone has not been dropped, not been wet. Not anything. I contacted my service provided (Bell) and they said it was a software issue and to reload the phone. I reloaded the OS (5.0.0.419) and a few days later it did it again. It's random when it does it. I then loaded OS 4.0.0.181 and it did it. Now I'm back to running OS 5.0.0.419 and the screen issue is daily.

Has anyone else experienced this type of issue?

My provider (Bell) has said if it's hardware they have to send it in, I pay a diagnostic fee, a deposit on a loaner phone, and they send it out. The issue I have with this is:
    1) It's not a year old
    2) When something has a warranty of a year why would I pay anything beyond perhaps shipping and handling?
    3) Can they not simply exchange it?
    06-06-10 05:50 PM
    I'm experiencing the exact same problem. Running the precision zen theme the phone came with, os 5.0.0.328. This just started happening a few days ago and seems to reoccur at least once a day. only a battery pull will fix it. it's driving me nuts, phone is only 7 months old. Haven't call vzw yet to see what they say.
    06-08-10 04:12 PM
    I find it strange that only two of us have had these issues.

App wise nothing was installed before the problems started nor updated.

I tried the business card/paper trick but mine's still doing it.

I hope you find luck with a solution.
    06-08-10 05:16 PM
    Mine did that two.... for a while. Then it finally stopped registering any touches in one area of the screen. Had to take it in for a replacement, but even after 15 months it was under warranty.
    06-09-10 10:12 AM
    I am having the very same problem. I am using os 5.0.0.328 from verizon. This is my original phone that I bought in December 2008. I am using the stock theme as well. It started doing this about a month ago when it started getting warm. It seems to be OK in the mornings but starts acting up in the afternoons as I work outside on my second job. I am thinking about upgrading to a hybrid os but have not done anything yet.
    06-09-10 02:36 PM
    I upgraded to a new hybrid over the weekend. It did not seem to really help the screen clicking issue at all. I am leaning to it being a hardware issue that is effected by the heat. I only have problems with the screen in the afternoons when I am working outside. Don't have a choice as second job is outside in the Texas heat. It seems that once the battery temp gets above 100 deg, the screen starts acting up. Yesterday being Sunday, I had no problems at all the whole day, since I stayed inside. I guess I will have to live with it until I upgrade. I have an upgrade available, but I am trying to hold out for new BB with OS6. It looks like I might not be able to wait much longer.
    06-14-10 03:09 PM
    I have been having this same issue lately as well. I am using 5.0.0.591 OS. I have been attributing it to a humidity. If the phone is inside in the A/C and I take it outside the screen does this funky wrong key selection. If I wait long enough and it goes away.
    06-15-10 08:36 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD