After browsing I notice that as soon as I open the browser again I'm at the same page I was looking at earlier. I've noticed this with a few other applications too. Does the put stress on the storm?
    12-20-08 04:11 PM
    Whenever you want to close an application, hit the BB menu key, and scroll to close or exit. Hitting the red end button just pushes the program to the background. The only ones that should run all the time are browser, messages, messenger, phone, home screen.
    12-20-08 04:15 PM
    yes it does. I just talked mine down from a bridge. Now it's in counseling.
    12-20-08 04:16 PM
    I had to use a beanbag gun to get my down off the bridge.
    12-20-08 04:22 PM
    Yes unlike some other devices, BlackBerry's run programs in the background. Not completely closing out an application can cause you memory to run down quick. Always, press menu and select close to ensure it's properly closed out. There are some applications that always run, but for the most part you can close them all.
    12-20-08 04:26 PM
    Running apps in the background will cause the Storm to lag more and run down the battery. I forgot to close out VZ Navigator recently and couldn't figure out why my battery ran down so fast after being recharged overnight. The OS was overall slower as well.
    12-20-08 05:15 PM
    does hitting the escape key until it goes back to the home screen the same as hitting BB->close?
    12-20-08 06:07 PM
    If you want to see which AppS are still running, hold down the bb menu key at the home
    Screen. It will shoe you the icons for all programs running. Simply click on the icon and the do a menu/close. Can't close browser, phone, home, apps.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-20-08 06:18 PM
    I think that this is one of best features of the storm but at the same time the design
    Of operating system makes the phone really slow down when somebody does not exit
    All of the apps and there are 10 of them running in the background. Need to be careful
    About closing the apps with this thing.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-20-08 06:26 PM
    does hitting the escape key until it goes back to the home screen the same as hitting BB->close?
    No, the application will still be running in the background. You can see what is running by holding down the BB Key. I always have 5 running that I can't close (which is normal I think).
    12-22-08 12:38 PM
    No, the application will still be running in the background. You can see what is running by holding down the BB Key. I always have 5 running that I can't close (which is normal I think).
    Not true. Holding down the escape button until the app closes will close the app and not leave it running in the background.
    12-22-08 12:42 PM
    This depends a lot on the app in question. For example, if you're in Media, backing out with Esc will close everything out, unless you're playing a video or audio. In that case it'll close everything except the Now Playing app.
    12-22-08 12:52 PM
    LMAO.

My co workers are now looking at me strange, becuase I just busted out laughing after reading this...
    12-22-08 01:06 PM
    I've noticed AIM won't ever close, even when I tell it to
    12-22-08 01:16 PM
    the applications that appear to be always running browser, contacts, etc is there no point in exiting out of them?

Or are they not really running?
    12-22-08 01:18 PM
    I am going to put this question here and hopefully it still gets enough hits to get a response...

This is my first BB, and I am running the official .75 OS. I don't know enough about the device yet to go to something not supported by VZ.

I read the posts above about what should be running, but I have the following running....

Application Center - When hold down BB to bring up the list of running apps, I see this there. When I click it, it doesn't take me to the "Application Center". It just closes down the horizontal list of running apps and returns me to the home screen. When I click the "Application Center" in the normal bank of icons, it goes to the application center. Closing (BB Key - Close) from here does not remove the app from the running list.

Blackberry Messenger - When I click this from the list of Apps running, it takes me to the BB Messenger, but selecting BB Button - Close does not remove it from the list. It only slides it to the end.

All of the rest I have running are mentioned above as not closeable...

Home Screen
    Browser
    Phone
    I am going to put this question here and hopefully it still gets enough hits to get a response...

This is my first BB, and I am running the official .75 OS. I don't know enough about the device yet to go to something not supported by VZ.

I read the posts above about what should be running, but I have the following running....

Application Center - When hold down BB to bring up the list of running apps, I see this there. When I click it, it doesn't take me to the "Application Center". It just closes down the horizontal list of running apps and returns me to the home screen. When I click the "Application Center" in the normal bank of icons, it goes to the application center. Closing (BB Key - Close) from here does not remove the app from the running list.

Blackberry Messenger - When I click this from the list of Apps running, it takes me to the BB Messenger, but selecting BB Button - Close does not remove it from the list. It only slides it to the end.

All of the rest I have running are mentioned above as not closeable...

Home Screen
    Browser
    Phone
    I had the same problem with the app center. What I did: open app center from the home screen. Check under options that auto refresh list is unchecked (mine was checked). Then close from the menu. I still couldn't close it from the list of running apps. Battery pull and it's gone.
    12-24-08 08:12 AM
    Thanks. That worked for me too. Does it stay again if you open the app center and close it again?
    12-24-08 10:05 AM
    if you open again, even if you don't close it (just escape) it should not remain open.
    12-24-08 10:28 AM
    Yes unlike some other devices, BlackBerry's run programs in the background. Not completely closing out an application can cause you memory to run down quick. Always, press menu and select close to ensure it's properly closed out. There are some applications that always run, but for the most part you can close them all.
    you can also clear memory automatically as well.
    12-24-08 10:29 AM
    So are there apps that you can't shut down? I see a lot of info about VZ Navigator & Weatherbug, which people say drain the battery........
    12-24-08 12:26 PM
    Only apps you can't shut down are

1. Phone
    2. Messages
    3. BB Messenger
    4. Browser
    5. Home screen

I realized I had been running the AppCenter in the background all this time too. To disable, go into AppCenter from your home screen, remove "auto refresh", then yank out your battery while the phone is still on.

Upon reboot, problem solved, only 5 programs running in the background
    12-24-08 01:00 PM
    Thank you "NAPA55". I was wondering why the App Center was always running. Now I remember that when I first ran it i set it to auto refresh. Will disable now.
    12-30-08 10:42 AM
    Grrr ... AIM was the bane of my existance until I actually uninstalled it. Even if I would sign myself out, it would eventually sign me back in. I think that app was the biggest battery drain on my Storm. That and leaving the GPS on all the time lol
    05-29-09 11:43 AM
    I guess this goes some way to explaining my recent 1100 Euros roaming bill in Portugal? Still can't work out what was running though. 200 pages of phone bill and wifey not happy..me neither!
    09-09-10 02:07 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD