Under the media application, I notice there's a "Ringtones" subset. However, I also noticed, that I can set any full MP3 as a Ringtone. Therefore, I assume the ringtone section is for random sounds that you want as ringtones rather then actual songs.

How does one get the files into the ringtone section? When bringing music over in Windows Explorer, I noticed it made a folder called "Music". Am I to assume if I create a folder called "ringtones" it would be there? Or do I have to use the internal memory for ringtones?

Thanks
    11-22-08 10:12 PM
    I put the mp3s I want as ringtones into the "ringtones" directory. Nothing fancy. Works great.

FYI, I custom modified some of my ringtones using audacity and Lame:
    25 seconds max
    lame -V 6 --vbr-new -m m -a -T

This keeps the ringtone small and reduces load on the processor.
    11-22-08 10:21 PM
    I use a free online app at makeownringtone.com. I upload the MP3 file. Then I select what part of the song I want to be a ringtone and let the app do the work. Then I email myself with the ringtone attached. Double click the email link on my blackberry. As its playing on my blackberry, I hit menu and set it as a ringtone. Its easy, and pretty quick. I only make ringtones 15-25 sec long.
    11-22-08 10:43 PM
    just google program audacity, its free and you can make ringtones in seconds from reg mp3 songs or whatever. been using it for awile now and love it. after you crop part of song you want you can even amplify it and have a louder version
    11-23-08 12:06 AM
    I just made a ringtone using Myxer - Download Ringtones and More try to keep it 25 secs or less.

There's no application to download you do it right online. Here are the instuctions to get it on your storm:
    • Browse to your mp3
    • enter your phone number
    • click customize
    • it downloads your song
    • then use the UI to find the section of the song you want
    • once complete click Send to phone
    • it's going to ask you your carrie and phone ino
    • verizon doesnt accept direct dowloads so it is going to give you the option to download the file to your computer and give you the email address to email it to your self
    • Email yourself the file
    • When it comes in it comes as a text
    • open the text
    • select menu
    • Click Save Ring Tone, this will save it to your Storm
    • Once saved navigate to Media/Ringtones/My Ring Tones

your file should be there, enjoy
    11-23-08 09:01 AM
    Just tried audacity, it works great! Make sure you zoom in to the part of the song you want, otherwise you'll get a half cut off tone, which sounds like crap
    11-23-08 09:21 AM
    I've been using Audacity for years. It is a great program. However, my question wasn't how to make a ringtone, but moreover where do the ring tones go so they do not interfere with the music directory.

buxleyp - Am I to assume, I simply make a directory called "ringtones" on the microSD card and place ringtones in there? Thanks
    11-23-08 05:41 PM
    i'd like to know the answer to this too....
    11-24-08 12:53 PM
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Once you setup a custom ringtone for a contact, how can you remove the custom change and just have it ring as just the active profile?

thanks in advance
    11-24-08 04:13 PM
    Nevermind...figured it out...lol
    11-24-08 04:16 PM
    Under the media application, I notice there's a "Ringtones" subset. However, I also noticed, that I can set any full MP3 as a Ringtone. Therefore, I assume the ringtone section is for random sounds that you want as ringtones rather then actual songs.

How does one get the files into the ringtone section? When bringing music over in Windows Explorer, I noticed it made a folder called "Music". Am I to assume if I create a folder called "ringtones" it would be there? Or do I have to use the internal memory for ringtones?

Thanks
    Yes you can set full songs for a ringtone, of course it won't ring that long
    The ringtone folder is just that you can download ringtones from anywhere you want and they will go into that folder.
    An actual ringtone is different than a full song because it is a "certain slice" of the song that you want to play when the phone rings. That is the only difference.
    Also many people like to use sound effects as ringtones, and they all go 1 folder for nice organization.
    I think it is included in the media player because it is a convenient place to go thru and listen to the ringtones you have.
    Just my perspective of it.
    11-24-08 04:25 PM
    id put them all on the device vs the media card.
    11-24-08 09:36 PM
    buxleyp - Am I to assume, I simply make a directory called "ringtones" on the microSD card and place ringtones in there? Thanks
    Like secretsexyninja, I recommend putting the tones on the actual Storm vs add-on microSD. On the past few devices I've owned, I've noticed slightly faster load times when it's on the built-in memory. Also, now you can swap your mSD cards without worrying about changing ringtones.

There should already a folder in your user directory called ringtones. I use a custom prefix of "Ringtone - name of file.ext" (I know, very creative) to distinguish it from other songs that I use for alarms, notifications, etc.
    11-24-08 09:43 PM
    For audacity, does anyone have a great way that they make their ringtones for the storm? By a proper setting I mean, as loud as the storm's speaker can take without blowing it (while the storm is on it's highest volume setting), minimum to no static (clear). I know people are saying why would you want it so loud? Im a college kid, sort of obnoxious, so I like to hear my ringtone/text tone and i feel everyone should hear it too (dining halls and gym). Thanks for the help.
    11-24-08 10:29 PM
    For audacity, does anyone have a great way that they make their ringtones for the storm? By a proper setting I mean, as loud as the storm's speaker can take without blowing it (while the storm is on it's highest volume setting), minimum to no static (clear). I know people are saying why would you want it so loud? Im a college kid, sort of obnoxious, so I like to hear my ringtone/text tone and i feel everyone should hear it too (dining halls and gym). Thanks for the help.
    Depending on the source, I sometimes like to amp by +3db. If the source is already loud, then I don't amp, as that causes clipping. If you don't care about volume, I'd go as high as +5db.

I do a high-pass filter at 100 to eliminate low frequencies that many cell phones don't play well (plus, you're unlikely to hear those anyway). The Storm's speaker on the back seems pretty robust, so we may not need a high pass filter.

Finally, to save space I would encode as mono mp3.
    11-24-08 10:34 PM
    What bitrate do you set to for the Storm?
    12-13-08 04:23 AM
    k, I'm lost as far as using audacity.... What am I saving it as? Does it need to be exported? For some reason it won't let me export to an mp3.
    12-19-08 01:29 AM
    I have used myxer in the past with my bb Curve. Now, emailing the same tones to my Storm, I open the pic msg, and I can't hear the tone, nor do I have the option to save the unheared sound. Could there be something wrong with my device?? Plz help!!!!!
    01-03-09 11:31 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD