I know there are a zillion of these threads, but this one has a happy ending!

My wife's storm crapped out last week for no apparent reason (didnt drop it/crush it/electrocute it/etc.) I tried a few quick tricks from other threads on wiping or getting apploader to flash it, but nothing seemed to work at first.

We both had storms, mine was still humming along good but I was eligible for an upgrade. We are both pretty busy people so instead of trying to fuss with the phone or put off replacing hers, I just upgraded that day (to an unremarkable android phone) and swapped my phone in for hers.

Well having a few minutes to kill today, I fired up desktop manager one last time to see if I could get it to work. The phone had been stuck in reboot purgatory and no amount of coercion would get BBSAK, JL-cmdr or the plain ol desktop manager to properly wipe it. BBDM would recognize it briefly but was never able to wipe it and get the reload to stick.

Here is the trick I used (picked up from another thread around somewhere). I left the battery out, plugged it into the PC and let it boot til the no-battery icon loaded. This lets BBDM see the phone but not load anything, so I fired that up and got to the "you need to update" screen. Then, I snapped the battery in and as soon as the 'device recognized' windows popup showed in the taskbar, I flew through the update firmware selection screens in BBDM as fast as I could figuring it was about to reboot again any second. For some reason, today was my lucky day as it managed to wipe the phone and got the software reloaded without any hitch.

To anyone out there who's not ready to resign their phone to the scrap heap just yet, give this a try and good luck!
    10-15-10 09:55 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD