Wired.com recently rated the top 10 worst gadgets. The BlackBerry Storm was number 8. I am not a Storm owner, I still sport a Curve. So, all I know is what I reader here and elsewhere.

But, does the Storm really rank among the most "Black Hole" worthy?

From the article:

"When RIM announced it was going to make a touchscreen phone, lots of Crackberry addicts were excited. Finally, they�d have a chance to use a BlackBerry with a touchscreen! Um, not so fast: The BlackBerry Storm has an oddball interface, with a touchscreen that �clicks� down (the whole thing physically moves) every time you press a button. It�s supposed to make the touchscreen experience more accurate and more tactile, but it just winds up slowing you down. And it feels weird besides."
    07-24-09 06:54 PM
    Some people just dont like the click, never bothered me at all. it sounds like that was what they based the rating on too so i would take it with a grain of salt
    07-24-09 06:58 PM
    Wired.com recently rated the top 10 worst gadgets. The BlackBerry Storm was number 8. I am not a Storm owner, I still sport a Curve. So, all I know is what I reader here and elsewhere.

But, does the Storm really rank among the most "Black Hole" worthy?

From the article:

"When RIM announced it was going to make a touchscreen phone, lots of Crackberry addicts were excited. Finally, they�d have a chance to use a BlackBerry with a touchscreen! Um, not so fast: The BlackBerry Storm has an oddball interface, with a touchscreen that �clicks� down (the whole thing physically moves) every time you press a button. It�s supposed to make the touchscreen experience more accurate and more tactile, but it just winds up slowing you down. And it feels weird besides."
    Eh dont believe everything you read on the internet. Consumer Digest ranked the storm in the top four. I would love to see what software is on there phone that they used to test. That whole review is just a personal opinion..
    07-24-09 06:58 PM
    If you are satisfied with your storm, ignore whatever people say.
    Of course, I agree that storm in early period was too far from great mobile gadget, but now it has become great phone.
    I can't live without my storm now. I also have 1st generation iPhone with 3.0 firmware. And my storm is much more faster than the iphone.
    Sure-press is one of the greatest feature of the storm. I wish iphone had same thing lol.
    07-24-09 06:59 PM
    I don't agree. There is no way I would include the Storm in the top ten worst gadgets. Is the storm in the top ten? Heck, no. It's not that bad though.
    Screen click = Top Ten Worst -------> whatever.
    07-24-09 07:00 PM
    hmm that is kind of interesting. top 10? absolutely not! interesting that something intuitive is thought of so poorly
    07-24-09 07:04 PM
    The phone itself is awesome. The biggest reason it had such bad reviews in the early days was the older Operating Systems (.65 and 75). On those OS's, I still don't think it should have been in the worst 10 list. With the steady supply of leaks and the major VZW OS of 148, I can safely recommend it to pretty much anyone willing to give it a chance. Typing is probably the biggest learning curve, but after a few minutes of tinkering you'll get the hang of it.

Out of 9 people I know personally who have a Storm, all of them love it. Well, one has some issues, but she has issues in life
    07-24-09 07:25 PM
    Is this storm as bad as the first iphone?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-24-09 07:31 PM
    Hah. Some will disagree, but I'd rank the current Storm right up there with the iPhone 3G and possibly even the new iphone 3GS.

Although I can't STAND the iPhone, it does have a fluid interface and simple environment (iTunes, MobileMe thing, etc) Simple enough that your average soccer mom could download apps, games, upgrade the OS, and sync her documents without much, if any help.
    07-24-09 07:57 PM

I doubt it. I personally feel that most of the issues early on were the lack of people willing to just simply learn how to use a blackberry. IMO the storm is a bad first blackberry to learn their operating system on. Once you do learn how to use it though you will discover just how powerful the tool really is.
    07-24-09 07:59 PM
    are you implying you have to be smart and learn how to use this phone?? i kid, i despise the iphone
    07-24-09 08:00 PM
    The storm has never been so bad that it warranted to be a top ten worst gadget. But a lot of people just expect to much these days. Plus the person that wrote this article probably uses a an iphone lol.

07-24-09 08:22 PM
    Best phone I've ever owned. I think most of the haters are previous BB users that couldn't live without their track ball and physical keyboard. I'd guess they all still miss Windows 3.11 too. Some folks just don't handle change very well.
    07-24-09 08:27 PM
    I'm not sure, but it's really cool.
    07-24-09 08:28 PM
    It was mentioned that they loved the iphone.

The storm has never been so bad that it warranted to be a top ten worst gadget. But a lot of people just expect to much these days. Plus the person that wrote this article probably uses a an iphone lol.

07-24-09 08:32 PM
    The internet is a curious thing. The Storm is my first "gadget" type phone. I bought it because I work nights and can web surf during down time. I am now playing with it more and have found no issue whatsoever. I am actually shocked at all the issues people have with the phone. I get hours of web time and talk time on a full charge. No screen "clicking" issues. Actually, none of the issues people often complain about. Maybe I got lucky and/or got a "good one." I dont know. I did do a few tweaks listed here just because and it did add some memory. Other than that, its been a great gadget.
    07-24-09 09:18 PM
    If i agree id be labeled a troll. That just how this site works...but despite this...I really do think it is. An embarrassment if you ask me.
    07-24-09 09:35 PM
    Personally I love my storm AND its click screen! 151 with the mire theme and this phone has been awesome

07-24-09 09:56 PM
    IMO the storm got a bad rap out of the gate. It was pushed to market early with a so so OS. Had it launch with a better os people would be down on it

07-24-09 10:15 PM
    It's kind of funny that they think the click screen is so bad when it's probably my favorite thing about the phone. I've played with a couple of friend's Dares and Iphones and want to throw them because I keep hitting the wrong things. Eh, to each their own I guess.
    07-24-09 10:35 PM
    I've had some Palm Treos that belong on that 10 worst gadgets list! Wouldn't put my Storm there!
    07-24-09 10:47 PM
    I def. disagree. but did anyone read the article?? this author really dislikes AT&T Wireless. Go check it out.

10 Gadgets We’d Like to Throw Into a Black Hole | Gadget Lab | Wired.com
    07-24-09 10:56 PM
    Maybe on the old OS. But I just got mine and it came with .148 out of the box. It beats the socks off an iPhone hands down. I've owned an iPod Touch and my brother has the iPhone, used both extensivly. The Storm just plain rocks.

I got mine with a 1 year contract through telesales for $99 after a $100 rebate. Best thing I ever bought. Finally an iPod music and video experience with out the iPod!
    07-24-09 11:37 PM
    I don't like cell phones without wifi, It's just stupid..
    07-24-09 11:40 PM
    If they did not use the storm running on the new 5.0 OS they should review it again. I was still not sold on my storm and I have had it since drop day! I have totally changed my opinion in the last 24 hrs. There is one caveat though at this time the OS is still buggy, but once RIM get the bugs out the storm will truly be a force in the smartphone world.

With that said I still think wired must be a bunch of Iphone fanboys! With n NO taste.

Seriously????

8th worst?????

SERIOUSLY????

No way!!!!
    07-25-09 12:11 AM
58 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD