Sorry everyone, tried to do a search on this but the words "freeze, frozen, freezing" come up in many many threads.

Has anyone left their storm out in the car in freezing temps? I frequently left my previous BB devices out in my car overnight, but I am afraid to with the Storm. Basically I was wondering if left out, is the screen still responsive? I really don't plan on making it a habit, but I can see myself forgetting it on a late night.
    02-24-09 10:06 AM
    i wouldn't. its not good for batteries in general (i did that too often with my ipod and had to replace the battery as it couldnt hold a charge)
    02-24-09 10:11 AM
    I am with snork on this one! Leaving your BB (or any battery operated electronic device for that matter) out in extreme temperatures, be it hot or cold, will literally suck the life out of your battery. If you make a habit of it, you may find that your battery doesn't want to hold a charge at all. Better safe than sorry, so I would bring it in if it were mine.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-24-09 10:37 AM
    Not wise, for prolonged periods you'll essentially juice your battery. Be certain and take it in with you at night.
    02-24-09 10:40 AM
    One point I would like to add: IF you do happen to forget your BB in cold temps, ALWAYS allow it to warm up to room temp before use. The same applies to laptops.
    02-24-09 10:40 AM
    One point I would like to add: IF you do happen to forget your BB in cold temps, ALWAYS allow it to warm up to room temp before use. The same applies to laptops.
    I learned this lesson the hard way when I had to move a big screen T.V. this winter. Let's just say that the move was a waste.

02-24-09 10:43 AM
    I wouldn't leave anything like that in my car. Plus, imagine if someone broke in and stole it? Plus, how do you go all night without your BB next to you!?
    02-24-09 10:46 AM
    I have never had a problem with mine,
    Been building a house this winter
    With no heat whatsoever. Been
    Below zero several times and
    Phone responds as well as ever.
    Makes my fingertip cold though!

02-24-09 10:48 AM
    I work in a chemical plant were there is the rule that no cell phones can go in the plant. That being the case I leave mine in my truck, I leave it in the leather case in the center divider. My fiance made a pillow that straps over the divider that kinda insulates it. It cools down but doesn't freeze. The display reacts right away as I remove it at the end of the day. I have been leaving it out there since Nov 21st and have had no battery problems. Just in case you may think that I live in a warmer climate (I wish) I work approximately a half mile off of Lake Erie In Northeast Ohio (24 degrees right now).
    Thanks,
    Dave
    02-24-09 11:42 AM
    I have 3 small children and would have a better chance of leaving them in the car then my BB lol My storm is always by my side day and night
    02-24-09 11:42 AM
    Thanks for the replies. I generally always have it on me, but sometimes in the rush of things when I get home after 9 pm, I do believe it or not, forget my Storm. Actually it hasn't happened yet, but that's mainly because I didn't buy a car charger, so I would have to bring it in to charge it!!

My other devices never had a battery problem from leaving them out, but they were always slow to respond for about 15 minutes.

Thanks again to those that answered about the screens responsiveness.
    02-24-09 12:25 PM
    It isn't a good idea to leave any device out in the cold like that. It isn't so much the cold that will bother it, since a lot of the materials computers, phones, ipods etc. are manufactured out of can actually withstand that temperature, however they aren't really meant to operate at that temperature.

I am not sure if this is an issue with phones, on some level I believe it is. I know that laptops have a tendency to get really messed up if you leave them in the cold for a long time, and then turn them on. Not just because the hard drive can crash, but the device does heat up quickly and when it is that cold you can actually have condensation form on boards, and other sensitive system components, this in turn will fry the device once an electrical charge is applied to it.

I think that a lot of the same things can happen to a storm, or an iphone. If you do happen to leave it out in the cold on accident bring it inside, pull the battery and let it gradually warm to room temperature. check to see if there are any water spots or anything on the phone (I know it sounds crazy but I have seen it happen with other devices.)

If there is moisture on the outside, then there is a really good chance there is moisture on the inside as well. At that point just let it dry. Don't even put the battery in the device for at least a day, maybe even two days. Water damage can be a tricky devil for any electronic device, and a lot of times the damage isn't apparent right away. It sometimes could take weeks, or months to cause a problem.
    02-24-09 12:29 PM
    Both my buddy and I went Skiing and didn't want to take our Storms with us on the hill, so we locked them in the glove compartment.
    Temperature was about -5 (Celsius)
    When we got back the screen was a fast and responsive as ever. Absolutely no issues.
    02-24-09 12:34 PM
    I dont know about the cold I live in Phoenix 85 degrees right now storm is working great....lol just figured I would throw that out there.
    02-24-09 12:50 PM
    I do a lot of Boy Scout campout and we have often experienced temperature below freezing (last weekend was about 18 degree Fahrenheit). It does drain your battery. That's why I always put my mobile phone inside my sleeping bag to keep it relatively warm.

Last edited by substring; 02-24-09 at 01:05 PM.
    02-24-09 12:57 PM
    The worst part about leaving it out in the cold is the condensation build up on the screen makes it unresponsive for a while

oops dank beat me to it but i do know this for fact by accident
    02-24-09 01:47 PM
    I've done it a few times. The only difference i notice is that the buttons at the top of the storm do not push in as far when it is really cold.
    02-24-09 02:08 PM
    I wouldn't leave anything like that in my car. Plus, imagine if someone broke in and stole it? Plus, how do you go all night without your BB next to you!?
    No clue. Mine us next ti me no stop. I normally lay down in bed and browse for a while. Usually makes my other half aggravated though. Her step dad is the founder of jkontherun.com so naturally he always has a phone or storm in his hands. Since I bought my storm, I have been the same way.

Now she calls me clicker sine I'm always clicking on my phone.

02-24-09 04:32 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD