Hi,

I've been using this phone since yesterday morning, eagerly trying to get used to the virtual keyboard and the whole "Click" experience, but I can't.

I find my typing on it quite inaccurate using in qwerty mode (SureType isn't too brilliant) especially compared to my previous BB Bold or Curve the screen takes a lot more pressure to press and the keys are harder to hit.

If I do quite a bit of typing I end up with knackered hands.

Is anyone else having similar issues ? or is the screen on mine harder to press.

EDIT:

After much searching I found the following suggestions REALLY helped my cause. I can now type reasonable fast.

First, turn on auto correction, and correct the misspelled words at the end.
    Second, you need to get use to it, make sure you don't do cross typing too often.
    Last, always lift your finger after click.
    If you follow those rules, you can probably type much faster.
    Also, in Options-Screen/Keyboard, change Key Rate and Key Delay to Fast!
    I still find pressing the screen at the edges is a bit harder to do, but I'm happy the above really did help.

*** UPDATE ***

Got a different STORM Handset today and I can tell you that the previous one I had was a dud. The screen on the newone is easier to press and somehow the OS is a lot faster, even though I've loaded the same app's etc etc.

Alot of what I've originally said in this thread was due to the screen being a bit foooked. I'm finding it a lot better now, typing is not that tiring or a chore, still not as good as the bold, but hey, for that lovely screen you have to make some compromises.
    Last edited by Ash_786; 11-19-08 at 12:45 PM.
    11-16-08 04:42 AM
    Hi,

I've been using this phone since yesterday morning, eagerly trying to get used to the virtual keyboard and the whole "Click" experience, but I can't.

I find my typing on it quite inaccurate using in qwerty mode (SureType isn't too brilliant) especially compared to my previous BB Bold or Curve the screen takes a lot more pressure to press and the keys are harder to hit.

If I do quite a bit of typing I end up with knackered hands.

Is anyone else having similar issues ? or is the screen on mine harder to press.
    Hit the gym bro.
    11-16-08 06:53 AM
    It takes a bit to get used to ash, like where to place your finger over the letter to get most accurate results... I find it quite good to use... (then i close my eyes for a sec and end up with jibberish
    11-16-08 07:02 AM
    In reviews of people who have it already as well it's said that the pressure isn't that bad and could be compared to clicking on a computer mouse? Strange...
    11-16-08 07:02 AM
    I find its a bit harder than pressing a mouse click, but then if you have a long email to right this extra pressure and the concentration of pressing the right place is a bit mentally and physically tiring, as with the curve / bold I don't even have to think about it.

Also I find its easier to press the centre of the screen opposed to the edges.

As for hitting the gym ....... good idea, I'll become a power lifter to type on the Storm, LOL.

Please keep your comments coming in.
    11-16-08 07:18 AM
    Personally I don't think you're giving it enough time, and I think you're stressing about it too much. Just sit back and play with it(typing) and don't be so much concerned about whether or not you're getting the correct letters to appear. Just concentrate on getting the feel of the keyboard down. Accuracy will come on it's own.
    11-16-08 07:59 AM
    Personally I don't think you're giving it enough time, and I think you're stressing about it too much. Just sit back and play with it(typing) and don't be so much concerned about whether or not you're getting the correct letters to appear. Just concentrate on getting the feel of the keyboard down. Accuracy will come on it's own.
    Not giving it enough time .... My thumbs are bleeding from using it that much ... lol (or is that the problem).

I've always hated keyboards with a long learning curve, you know, phones like ... eerr, the Iphone !

From what I've heard on this thread so far it seems to be me or my device that's the problem. I'm used to devices like the BB Bold, which I let my nephew use and he was banging out an email in seconds, without any problems.

I will soldier on for a bit longer ......... can't let CX down I suppose !
    11-16-08 08:46 AM
    Not giving it enough time .... My thumbs are bleeding from using it that much ... lol (or is that the problem).

I've always hated keyboards with a long learning curve, you know, phones like ... eerr, the Iphone !

From what I've heard on this thread so far it seems to be me or my device that's the problem. I'm used to devices like the BB Bold, which I let my nephew use and he was banging out an email in seconds, without any problems.

I will soldier on for a bit longer ......... can't let CX down I suppose !
    Lol. Like I told you, it takes some time to get used to. There are a lot of others that love it, and are having a few problems but not many. At the same time, I have said for months that this device isn't for everyone. Damnit Ash you might just be one of them.
    11-16-08 08:53 AM
    NO!!!!!!!! Don't say that, after all the time and effort to reach this point ..... I cant be "ONE OF THEM" ..... What will my mother say ? The shame of it !
    11-16-08 08:57 AM
    NO!!!!!!!! Don't say that, after all the time and effort to reach this point ..... I cant be "ONE OF THEM" ..... What will my mother say ? The shame of it !
    Honestly, and taking into considering the time I've known you, I think you can get the hang of it. I think you're getting too frustrated that you're not typing perfectly right off the bat and that's causing your displeasure with the device. As posted earlier, just kick back with a beer, or three, and just play with the Storm. Don't focus on typing perfectly, focus on getting a feel for the device. And accuracy will come on its own.
    11-16-08 09:01 AM
    Yeah well... I've had an iPod Touch for about 6 months and I STILL can't get used to typing on it, so am I worried about typing on the Storm??? Heck no!
    11-16-08 09:08 AM
    OK. I've switched off my curve and will exclusively use the Storm for today.

Now, keeping in mind that I used it for most of the day yesterday, using it exclusively today should make me better at it.
    11-16-08 09:11 AM
    I am mentally exhausted reading this thread!
    11-16-08 10:43 AM
    I think just like everything. . it will be great for somepeople, something you just learn to live with for others, and something you want to throw across the room for the rest.
    11-16-08 11:32 AM
    Hi Ash,

I think we need to give it go. I would love to be able to bash out a pin/text as fast as people do with a normal phone. But I wanted a blackberry and so I will have to learn how to use it properly. I personally think the suretype keyboard is better and i type more accurately on that.
    11-16-08 12:03 PM
    Hi Ash. You mentioned its easier to depress the center rather than edges. Seems odd. Did you in fact mean to say easier on edges?

Also could you tell me about the gap around the perimeter of the screen. Is it big enough to eventually cause screen failures from debris etc? I know we will have to wait to see these come in ( if at all a)but I just want your thoughts. Thanks

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-16-08 01:01 PM
    Hi Ash. You mentioned its easier to depress the center rather than edges. Seems odd. Did you in fact mean to say easier on edges?

Also could you tell me about the gap around the perimeter of the screen. Is it big enough to eventually cause screen failures from debris etc? I know we will have to wait to see these come in ( if at all a)but I just want your thoughts. Thanks

No, its definitely easier on the centre than the edges.

As for the gap around the sides of the screen, I personally don't think its going to be a problem but to check it out fully you need to take apart the phone to see whats underneath it. Yes there is a slight gap and small debris will fall through, but electronics are more resilent to crap than we give em credit for.

Have you ever opened up a TV or Computer ..... Ever seen how much crap is in them ? YES - Loads.

Its not something thats going to worry me to be honest. If its going to fail, its most likely going to do it whilst its in warranty. When its out of warranty I'll have something else by then anyway
    11-16-08 01:20 PM
    Ash I take it you took out a Voda contract....or did you find a sim free one ?
    11-16-08 01:24 PM
    Ash I take it you took out a Voda contract....or did you find a sim free one ?
    I've got a contract on the 14 day return deal. Been testing it since Saturday morning and

- if I REALLY love it, I'll keep it.
    - If I quite like it, I'll return it and explore a sim free version.
    - If I don't like it, its getting returned.

I love the 14 day return thing. I get to give the phone a GOOD kicking before accepting it
    11-16-08 01:28 PM
    Yeah well... I've had an iPod Touch for about 6 months and I STILL can't get used to typing on it, so am I worried about typing on the Storm??? Heck no!
    I just played with the Storm, mainly to test the keyboard. I just started typing. Made several mistakes. No autocorrection.

I came home and tried my wife's env (sp?) and seemed to do better. Nice to have numbers and period without switching screens, too.

Then I tried my itouch--I connected immediately to my gmail acct on my home wifi network. I think I was more accurate on the itouch than the storm. plus, there was autocorrect. I typed "tje" and it corrected to "the". I was kind of surprised by the results, since the storm and itouch keyboards seem very similar in size.

The storm keys glow blue, unlike the itouch where it enlarges when you're hovering over it.
    11-16-08 03:42 PM
    Storm has auto correct as well, the only times it doesn't give you a suggestion is when it thinks that you are typing the word correctly or it hasn't got the foggiest about what you are trying to spell.

11-16-08 03:59 PM
    I find the typing accuracy and the rhythm of using the click screen Is possibley going to be
    Quicker than my curve. The storm will kill the iphone I'm sure. Take a few more days and I'm
    sure u will love it. I'm looking at which keys I'm pressing more often compared to the
    Curve but that is just me getting used to it. Have fun.

11-16-08 04:51 PM
    Is it harder peasing the space bar in suretoe mode than pressing some of the other keys ?

11-16-08 04:54 PM
    First, turn on auto correction, and correct the misspelled words at the end.
    Second, you need to get use to it, make sure you don't do cross typing too often.
    Last, always lift your finger after click.
    If you follow those rules, you can probably type much faster.
    Also, in Options-Screen/Keyboard, change Key Rate and Key Delay to Fast!
    11-16-08 04:56 PM
    Ok, thanks for the input. What's key delay ? And where do I find it ?

11-16-08 05:04 PM
34 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD