My contract is finally up with Nextel, thank god, and after voraciously reading about the Storm, I was convinced I wanted one. My main goal was so that I could get my Outlook emails without having to log onto Outlook Exchange etc....Now I find out that my company does not have any more licenses for me and they will not allow me to re-direct my emails. That being said, is the Storm still a superior phone to the Iphone? I know that is a pretty open ended question, but AT&T service and Verizon are pretty comparable in my area. I want online ability and texting and other options and both phones seem to be pretty comparable. Thanks for any input.....
    10-29-08 08:03 AM
    It's personal preference really, IMO I think the Storm will be superior in many ways. One of the mains ways that would be is the typing and new SureClick technology is uses. Also its a capacitive screen, so it should be just as responsive as the iphone. Although I have not used the phone so I cannot give you much more detail then most people.
    10-29-08 08:08 AM
    Matters what you want. If you interested in music, video, games, awesome 3rd party apps, get a iPhone.

If your interested in rock solid email, mms, texting, and IM get a blackberry.
    10-29-08 08:10 AM
    I'm not really too concerned with games, but texting, third party apps and online access would be important.
    10-29-08 08:14 AM
    I'm not really too concerned with games, but texting, third party apps and online access would be important.
    Texting with the Storm should be superior to the iPhone, but again thats personal preference. Third party APP's will be out for the Storm but no where near the selection of the iPhone, not just yet at least. Online Access from what I've seen of the Storm the browser is quite solid and provides a great online experience.
    10-29-08 08:19 AM
    There is always the Bold if you don't want a touch screen.

I do think the Storm is a better device though then the iPhone.
    10-29-08 08:27 AM
    Probably the wrong forum to ask this question on. But like many have said, it's all user preference. You can always go try out an Iphone to see how you like it..
    10-29-08 08:38 AM
    i say go with the Storm its touch screen and apps will be far better..

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-29-08 09:23 AM
    i say go with the Storm its touch screen and apps will be far better..

There is no way to tell if the apps will be better on the BB Storm. This could be the case though as long as RIM has opened up the right APIs.
    10-29-08 09:28 AM
    I honestly dont think its a choice between storm or iphone. Its a choice between verizon or ATT. And i choose verizon all the way.
    10-29-08 09:32 AM
    From what I see since I visit the site every day an I research on the storm often I say its the best.... apps on the storm are not important at the moment sooner or later they will have more just like the iphone.. wifi is so not nessacary on the storm since verizon has a real fast network an better coverage... But the storm has a better camera, mms, record unlimited video just like my curve, replacable battery, replaceable sd micro "memory" Emailing looks like txtin is more accuarte an eariser.... I go with the storm cause it look better!!!!! **** the iphone

10-29-08 10:13 AM
    i was tossed as well on iphone or storm, here is why i decided the storm:

1. MMS
    2. has the 3.2mp camera
    3. its blackberry, nuff said
    4. verizon is far superior coverage in my area
    5. "search" feature on emails

thats pretty much it. i dont care too much about apps or games. But pic messaging and email search options were my top priorities.

and getting to stay with VZW is an added bonus.
    10-29-08 10:17 AM
    btw nextel is the first carrier i ever paid to break a contract. I moved into a new apartment and it was apparantly in a deadspot ... so i called many many times to complain, and ask for suggestions, or whatever.

one day the CSR said to me "sir, have you considered moving?"

i F'ing flipped! Im going to break my lease, hire a moving company, look for a new apartment, go through all that BS ... so that i can use your service??

within 12hrs i was a VZW customer lol
    10-29-08 10:20 AM
    btw nextel is the first carrier i ever paid to break a contract. I moved into a new apartment and it was apparantly in a deadspot ... so i called many many times to complain, and ask for suggestions, or whatever.

i F'ing flipped! Im going to break my lease, hire a moving company, look for a new apartment, go through all that BS ... so that i can use your service??

they should have waived your fee.
    10-29-08 10:24 AM
    I think I have made up my mind....Now like the rest of you, I am chomping at the bit! Come on Storm!
    10-29-08 11:22 AM
    I think I have made up my mind....Now like the rest of you, I am chomping at the bit! Come on Storm!
    You don't have to much longer to wait.

I still haven't decided between the Bold or Storm -
    10-29-08 11:24 AM

There is a loophole in cell phone contracts that and allows you to get out of the contract due to no service at your place of residence.
    10-29-08 11:24 AM
    I am also waiting for a storm... i have a verizon Dare and a Palm treo..
    i love both but i think the Storm will get me down to one phone lol..
    Have any of you had a treo.. to help me with the difference..
    Bet
    10-29-08 11:30 AM
    they should have waived your fee.
    it was cheaper than a moving truck
    10-29-08 12:47 PM
    Blackberry is way better than Treo. Its OS is far superior and I have had both.

Can someone explain the issue with MMS. Are you saying that with Iphone you can't email pictures?
    10-31-08 12:31 AM
    it is a question if you want to wait any longer or not
    10-31-08 01:34 AM

this coming from a current iPhone user... the iphone has alot of features but it's definetly missing some important communication ones true push email without a exchange server is one... there is work arounds such as creating a free mail2web.com email account and putting the exchange server information and then taken your current email and forwarding it to that one and so on etc ect lol its a pain

I can't say that I don't like the iPhone but there is quite a few things dealing with communication that make it not so fun.... one on the current build you cant run instant messengers in the background so when you do another function on the device your instant messenger applications log out untill you log back in... they say they are fixing this but who knows when...

and anyone who owns a iphone who sais the app's dont crash is full of it I know about 10 people with a iphone and they all get semi annoyed by apps randomly closing including the first party ones "safari" etc

Other than that the iPhone is really great with media things like music/video/pictures etc no mms without email though...

However with the storm really trying to jump into the market right now with the consumer in mind the Phone has the potential to be really really good. Because with it being a blackberry your almost guarenteed that the communication features of the phone are going to work supurb -- yes the applications dont always have the great apple lollypop look to them but they WORK really well reguardless...

your email/sms/mms/and messenger services will more then likely be supurb to what the current iPhone offers

as far as media is concerned the screen on the storm is already confirmed to be brilliant... The touch sure click technology has a great possibility of being good but there is reviews saying that its not currently great (once again this could completely be fixed by release or later with a update of some sort)

To say the storm isnt a incredible well thought out device is like saying the invention of a hybrid car was a bad idea....

but... the iPhone isnt something to take a crap on either...

To be perfectly honest what I would do is run down to your closest apple store right now put your hands on the device use it try it out and make sure you do this without the intention of buying it then whent he storm comes out do the same thing and see what one you personally like better

more then likely either phone will suit your needs

ohhh and one plus up that i cant believe the other iphone users dont talk about... is the fact that the storm has removable memory and a removable battery.... the memory is available up to 16gb currently but you could potentially have more then one card to make it more...

hope this helped

edit:::: keep in mind don't look fully at the number of apps located in the Itunes app store because yes there is a ton of applications available but keep in mind there is also a ton that you personally wont care about at all and there is even some in there that really honestly serv no purpose what so ever lol
    Last edited by noaim; 10-31-08 at 03:37 AM.
    10-31-08 03:27 AM
    You don't have to much longer to wait.

I still haven't decided between the Bold or Storm -
    me neither, choice is hard!
    10-31-08 06:59 AM
    I think the most important difference between the iPhone and the Storm is communications.

First, the network: in SoCal VZW has MUCH better coverage with voice, and its EVDO rev A coverage is virtually as good as the voice coverage. ATT's 3G coverage can best be described as spotty.

Assuming the Storm doesn't have major, deal-breaking flaws and functions as expected, where it will be superior to the iPhone will be primarily communications--email, chat programs (that don't disconnect when you switch apps), the ability to send and receive MMS. It also has a better camera with a flash and the ability to record video and voice notes. The Storm will multitask, which seems like no big until you use a phone that doesn't--the iPhone. Also, copy and paste is very useful.

No matter the improvements Blackberry has made on their media player, it doesn't even come close to the iPhone. Yeah, the iPhone is tied to iTunes, but that doesn't mean you have to buy from iTunes. Videos that will play in iTunes on your computer do not have to be converted--they'll play right on your iPhone and look better than most converted videos. The Apple app store has pros and cons, but it is much better than anything available for the Storm.

But--the biggest selling point of the iPhone is the interface. How does the Storm measure up? No idea.

You really need to:
    1) Decide what is most important for your phone to do.
    2) Use BOTH of them. You may hate the Storm interface. You may love it.

Try before you buy.

I love my iTouch, but I detest typing on it. My Blackberry is soooo much better for that. But I'm VERY curious about the Storm.
    10-31-08 08:13 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD