I am not trying to flame you but what do you think VZW is paying RIM? My guess at the cost of this phone is more like $100 to build. RIM might have a gross profit of 50% on this. No way VZ is paying more than $200. If they sell them for 299 they still make some money...

Don't get retail price, sell price to VZW (or Best Buy), and cost to make the phone confused. These will likely be very different and based on what they can get, not what it cost them (until you start getting to the $50 phones).

If nobody buys the Storm, the cost will come down a lot, quickly. Everybody with me on this?
    Couldn't be more off...
    10-25-08 11:47 PM
    Couldn't be more off...
    [citation needed]
    10-26-08 02:01 AM
    Its not a rude thing to say, its the truth. If I can't afford an aston martin I should work harder to be able to afford it. Same math applies for a phone.

I think this phone, for the majority, is going to be about a fashion statemetn (Ohh look, i have the newest blackberry thats all touchscreen) and I'm left laughing from people complaining about not being able to purchase it because of the price of it. If its out of your price range move on to something that is within it.

-Rik
    P.S. Yet another price thread. Hey here is an idea... why don't people just wait for the release date & prices to be OFFICIALLY announced before getting their hopes dashed or panties in a bunch.
    A cell phone and a car are two different things. What planet do you live on where a 700 dollar phone is worth its price? Don't care if you have one dollar or one million dollars, no phone is worth 700 bucks. For 100 dollars more you could buy a 2.0 ghz Mac mini. Between those two, which would be the better deal?

I love Blackberry, and as much as I want a Storm, I'm not paying that much for it. I can't bring myself to do so, I'd feel like an *****.

Was it a rude thing to say? no. Obnoxious? yes. You sound like one of those people who "works hard" and resents anyone who you feel doesn't work "as hard" as you. Get over yourself.
    10-26-08 12:22 PM
    I am not trying to flame you but what do you think VZW is paying RIM? My guess at the cost of this phone is more like $100 to build. RIM might have a gross profit of 50% on this. No way VZ is paying more than $200. If they sell them for 299 they still make some money...

Don't get retail price, sell price to VZW (or Best Buy), and cost to make the phone confused. These will likely be very different and based on what they can get, not what it cost them (until you start getting to the $50 phones).

If nobody buys the Storm, the cost will come down a lot, quickly. Everybody with me on this?

Yea this isn't correct at all. I mean, I dont have any proof of actual pricing numbers, and this is only my opinon..but I do have a bit of experience in accounting and economics(University of South Florida, GO BULLS!!!) anyway. RIM is already very upside down in the books in relation to the Storm. You see, it might now cost them $100 to "produce" the phone(I'm sure it's still much higher), but they have probably devoted a dev team year's in developing the storm. That's year's of salaries, trial and error's and time they could have been spending on other projects. Fixed costs alone would put the production at much more than $100 a phone. And that's just for the parts, equipment and space to actually make the phone. Of course there are many ways to make up costs and return a gain on a product for the business and shareholders, but for RIM and any other manufacturer it's going to come from sales.

Supply and demand does infact determine price to a certain point. I'm sure you've noticed at any much anticipated launch(iphone, wii, ps3..etc for example) there is always a shortage initially. They do this so they do not have a huge stock of product's people wont buy. If RIM announced at initial launch there would only be 1k Storm phone's available in the US, good luck getting one. There would be a mass panic, of mostly reseller's, trying to get their hands on them to put on ebay. If reseller's can sell iphones on ebay for 1k+ and people actually pay it, why doesn't apple just charge this? It's called bad business.

With fixed and variable costs, I would guess it has costs RIM close to $300 per phone. Verizon probably pays $600per and gives them to us for $299. You have to understand, they have you locked into a minimum of $79.99/month for 24 months. That's close to 2k until your contract is up. Now, The technology is already there, there is no more dev costs, so the more phones that are sold...the cheaper verizon is going to get them for, which is bad for RIM. Which is why the dev team has already moved on to produce the Storm II....lol.

This is all just off the top of my head and only my opinion, I was a C student..haha.
    10-26-08 12:56 PM
    ^ YOU GO TO USF!

I'm currently going there NOW. WHOA, its a small world.
    10-26-08 01:14 PM
    No matter what RIM, verizon or anyone else pays for them. Its the customer that always gets screwed that is how the world works
    10-26-08 01:32 PM
    ^ YOU GO TO USF!

I'm currently going there NOW. WHOA, its a small world.
    yea I graduated from USF
    10-26-08 01:38 PM
    No matter what RIM, verizon or anyone else pays for them. Its the customer that always gets screwed that is how the world works
    a phone like the storm is a luxury item and is definitely not a necessity. People can determine if they will pay the price or if they wont. People who smoke or are addicted to drugs are the ones that get screwed.

wait, this is crackberry isn't it? Nevermind. We do get screwed.
    10-26-08 01:43 PM
    Yup. That's how the world works. These evil corporations should be willing to invest unlimited time and money to sell us products at no profit. Now THAT would be fair, yes?

Of course, if they did that, they'd be out of business and unable to sell us anything. I realize that would make a lot of people very happy, and it may yet happen, so buck up!

In the meantime, if you feel screwed by the price of a product, don't buy it. Then you don't get screwed. If the product suits you, AND you are willing to pay the price, then you're not getting screwed.

In my experience, I've been screwed by cheap products far more often than by expensive ones--the initial price isn't the only way you can be screwed.
    10-26-08 02:23 PM
    Contract is up. I'm patiently awaiting availability at Verizon. Just checked my on-line pricing for Curve and it's around $80 with NE2 and other discounts. I'm hoping the price point is going to be similar for the Storm. The anticipation is killing me.
    10-26-08 04:00 PM
    Matt, your right. I quickly looked at RIM's earnings report (h_tp://press.rim.com/financial/release.jsp?id=1684) and can see that the average sell price is $313 (USD) for their devices. With a 50% GP1, their average cost is $156.5. So If I am allowed to over simplify everything, RIM makes $65 per phone net profit, and VZW comes very close to break even @ $299.

In any case, my 'hopes of having a Storm and dashed' too at $700 full retail. Maybe, I'll get mine on close-out when the Storm 2 is released.
    10-26-08 08:08 PM
    10-26-08 10:52 PM
    dang it not to ten yet....
    10-26-08 11:23 PM
    One more.... sorry....
    10-26-08 11:23 PM
    Source = Yahoo supporting online fraud for mobile phone sales? � What A Smart Idea

Basically Yahoo is creating their own enemy. The following is a list of Yahoo run web stores which in our opinion are Fraud, Scam sites selling mobile phones and taking your money and running!

eazychoppinz.com
    busysellmart.com
    queencartshoppingmal
    Welcome to Electromatic Inc
    multibrandsltd.com
    davestoresinc.com
    electrohallers.com
    kellycolestore.mybisi.com
    www.tech-4-less.com
    braska2.com
    store.fastcommerce.com
    gsmstorelimited.com <<<<~~~~~~~///
    10-26-08 11:24 PM
    Thanks and I do apologize to all on this foru/site for giving misleading info.
    I myself will be getting mine from VZW. Was just trying to give hope on the price.
    AKA
    S1
    10-26-08 11:34 PM
    New price predition by me.

$249.99 w/2-Year + $50 mail in rebate

Use your NE2 and you're out the door cheap.
    10-26-08 11:48 PM
    to all consumers wanting to buy a BB Storm that still have a contract with verizon or whoever else you might have. Don't worry about getting it as soon as it get's out. Sure, if you have the money and willing to pay more moolah for it, well you wouldn't be complaining about the price tag on this sexy phone. I myself want one really bad. Some of you think it's bad with you having your current BB and/or other cell phone? I have a Samsung SCH-N330, you know those tiny pop-up phones that are like free now? yeah, I have one of those and my contract with verizon is going to continue through june '09 but I'm content with using it until my contract is up.

Besides, as anyone that deal with a lot of tech knows, 1st gens and even the first few weeks or months for any device will be glitchy. But, there will be patches and updates etc. Not to mention, as of now, the app store for the BB Storm won't open until March or May 2009. For those that just want a nice touchscreen phone. Wait, who knows maybe a better Android phone or iPhone will come before your contract is up. For those that just want the Storm and the Storm only, wait. Trust me it will only get better, unless Verizon start being d-bags about something about the phone.
    10-27-08 12:13 AM
    btw, for verizon costumers, if you guys want a better deal on the Storm, when you go to renew/cancel your contract, talk about moving to att for the iPhone. I'm sure they'll do things like giving you discounts on your contract, phone, or even throw in a few accessories at you to stay.
    10-27-08 12:17 AM
69 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD