Ok, I am new to the whole Blackberry so bare with me. I have AT&T and want the Blackberry Storm. And from what I hear it is GSM compatible, which means it can work with AT&T. How exactly do I go about doing that?

My brother has Verizon, say I upgrade his phone to the Storm and then just keep the Storm. Is there any way to get that to then work on AT&T or do I have to spend $500+ on a Storm online.

Any info or tips on how I could do this and estimates of cost would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
    01-07-09 02:50 AM
    Have him upgrade and then have him call VZW Global support and ask for the unlock code, they might give you the run around but you can get the code still and then have him switch back to his old phone and you will have the Storm.
    01-07-09 02:52 AM
    Check the tips tricks and faqs sub forum. There should be a thread stickied on how to get the storm working on at&t.

You will have to unlock your phone though.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-07-09 02:54 AM
    Ok do they question why you need an unlock code? What exactly would I ask for and why? Am I better off using Horizon Wireless?

So in the end, once the phone is unlocked, there is a spot for a sim card? And all i would have to do is have that put in and add the Blackberry feature to my current AT&T plan?

Thanks again....
    01-07-09 02:57 AM
    Check the thread in the tips how to and faqs sub forum. You will get all your answers there plus you can ask there and someone who is an expert on the subject can answer you in that thread.

01-07-09 03:03 AM
    Ok do they question why you need an unlock code? What exactly would I ask for and why? Am I better off using Horizon Wireless?

So in the end, once the phone is unlocked, there is a spot for a sim card? And all i would have to do is have that put in and add the Blackberry feature to my current AT&T plan?

Thanks again....
    Just tell them you're going overseas to visit relatives. Horizon Wireless is a good place to go if you want to pay for the unlocking.

From my experience with Verizon, they will not unlock the phone unless it is the current device on the plan (meaning your brother has to activate it onto his plan, unlock it, reactivate his old phone, give you the Storm). The Storm will not work with AT&T's 3G, only on EDGE. The Storm supports 3G but only in the 2100MHz frequency and AT&T uses 850/1900MHz for their 3G & GSM service.

And lastly, check out the tips and tricks forum. There's a way you can semi-hack the Storm to get all of AT&T's junk onto the phone so you can use the Browser and other data-media eccentric stuff.
    01-07-09 03:06 AM
    Here is the link. Step by step guide :

http://forums.crackberry.com/f135/ho...m-95xx-107154/

01-07-09 03:08 AM
    Either way works. Horizon, you need to pay. VZW Global, free but might take a few phone calls.
    01-07-09 03:22 AM
    In addition to the other link I posted you can check out this one as well.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f86/con...ing-att-99220/

01-07-09 03:29 AM
    Ok, I am new to the whole Blackberry so bare with me. I have AT&T and want the Blackberry Storm. And from what I hear it is GSM compatible, which means it can work with AT&T. How exactly do I go about doing that?

My brother has Verizon, say I upgrade his phone to the Storm and then just keep the Storm. Is there any way to get that to then work on AT&T or do I have to spend $500+ on a Storm online.

Any info or tips on how I could do this and estimates of cost would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
    Yes you can unlock the storm sim card to work on any GSM world wide. I
    email [email protected] these guys unlock all my Blackberrys including Storm. They give discount to crackberry guys with super fast service
    01-07-09 09:02 PM

Thanks again....
    Unlocking frees you up for all carriers shop data plans and add value to your phone if you ever want to sell. Horizon is too high and takes too long.
    I use [email protected] they are super fast and cheap I ask for crackberry discount for all my storms I sell
    01-07-09 09:07 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD