I plan on purchasing a BlackBerry Storm, for use on Verizon, but have heard that other carriers have the Storm with WiFi.

Now, I'm not positive, but I assume the Verizon Storms have the hardware to use WiFi, but the hardware has been disabled by Verizon Policy.

I'm wondering if there are any firmware hacks, or custom firmware available that would enable the WiFi, and to allow the phone to work on other carriers. Would there possibly be any other uses for custom firmware? Could a BlackBerry possibly run video game emulators, or use homebrew content?

I am currently a happy Verizon customer (since they have the best network, and all my friends use it), and would like to use my New Every Two deal to get the phone at a discounted price, but would like to keep my options open.
    01-03-09 02:17 PM
    no. the physical hardware for the wifi is not present on the device
    01-03-09 02:19 PM
    This isn't Apple or WinMo. You're not hacking a BlackBerry. And no you cannot get wifi on the 9530.
    01-03-09 02:22 PM
    There are folks who have unlocked the storm to use on other networks but I dont think the wifi will work either way.

And yes, we are all disappointed!
    01-03-09 02:23 PM
    No Radio=No Wifi buy a 9520 if you want WiFi
    01-03-09 02:38 PM
    Has it been confirmed that the 9500 and 9530 don't have WiFi?

This guy seems to think otherwise.

lol, funny.

Actually, I'm anxiously awaiting the 9520 so that we can see if the hardware id is 9500. If it is, then all the Storms probably have WIFI in them. RIM would only do this to be able to keep production costs down. It would be a lot more cost effective for them to produce 1 hardware model and control it via low level software and sell 3 different branded models. We already know the 9500 and 9530 are identical hardware wise, why would RIM do that with two models and then spend money producing different hardware on the third. Doesn't make financial sense to me, especially if they could produce 1 and sell as 3 without any productions issues or constraints.

I am speculating on this, but 66.66% model builds being identical sure look like good odds that the rest of the 33.33% will be the same. I guess we'll see soon enough.
    I wanna see confirmation before WiFi is ruled out.
    01-03-09 02:57 PM
    THERE IS NO WIFI IN THE 9530 or 9500!

people have opened them up already....
    01-03-09 03:01 PM
    Am I being dumb, but why do people need wifi when they have unlimited date plans?
    01-03-09 03:53 PM
    Am I being dumb, but why do people need wifi when they have unlimited date plans?

Sometimes signals are weak, and wi fi would be much faster. Recent trip to Mexico - I used my Storm, my son had his iTouch. His wi-fi iTouch was significantly more effective in range, than my BB was anywhere in the area. As for email or basics, no biggie. Load a few websites, forget it.

Stupid move not to have wi-fi in these things. Simple to do from a mfr'g standpoint, but I think the carriers want all the traffic.
    01-03-09 03:56 PM
    Has it been confirmed that the 9500 and 9530 don't have WiFi?

This guy seems to think otherwise.

I wanna see confirmation before WiFi is ruled out.
    First off, that's not a guy. Second, Civic said let's wait and see if the 9520 and 9500 have the same HW ID. That's not confirmation. It's saying lets wait and see what the deal is.
    01-03-09 03:58 PM
    civic aint no dude man!
    01-03-09 04:01 PM
    Civic does not a WiFi Antenna if you know what I mean...LOL
    01-03-09 04:29 PM
    ok, another possibly stupid question, but if neither the 9500 or the 9530 storm's have the wifi hardware, why do i keep seeing all these theme screenshots of the storm with the "wifi" icon displayed? is there another model of the storm i'm just not aware of, or is the wifi available from service providers other than verizon? just curious...
    03-08-09 03:56 AM
    The screen shots you see with it on is the editor showing all on so when they make a model like the 9520 it is there. It is just a place holder.
    03-08-09 05:17 AM
    ok... haven't used plazmic or the simulators yet, so i thought it was an actual screenshot... my bad, thanx for the info
    03-08-09 05:25 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD