Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. Raditude's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    150 Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

    Default Is a Storm Firmware Hack Available?

    I plan on purchasing a BlackBerry Storm, for use on Verizon, but have heard that other carriers have the Storm with WiFi.

    Now, I'm not positive, but I assume the Verizon Storms have the hardware to use WiFi, but the hardware has been disabled by Verizon Policy.

    I'm wondering if there are any firmware hacks, or custom firmware available that would enable the WiFi, and to allow the phone to work on other carriers. Would there possibly be any other uses for custom firmware? Could a BlackBerry possibly run video game emulators, or use homebrew content?

    I am currently a happy Verizon customer (since they have the best network, and all my friends use it), and would like to use my New Every Two deal to get the phone at a discounted price, but would like to keep my options open.
  2. dmac271's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    223 Posts
    #2  

    Default

    no. the physical hardware for the wifi is not present on the device
  3. Crucial_Xtreme's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    9,119 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,185 Global Posts
    #3  

    Default

    This isn't Apple or WinMo. You're not hacking a BlackBerry. And no you cannot get wifi on the 9530.
  4. Rooster's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    2,794 Posts
    #4  

    Default

    There are folks who have unlocked the storm to use on other networks but I dont think the wifi will work either way.

    And yes, we are all disappointed!
  5. Accidental Post's Avatar
    Slayer of Misinformation

    Posts
    5,346 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,378 Global Posts
    PIN
    Smartphones are for Smart People
    #5  

    Default

    No Radio=No Wifi buy a 9520 if you want WiFi
    "Do you want to sell sugar water or do you want to change the world?"

    Steve Jobs to John Sculley the then CEO of Pepsi.

  6. Raditude's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    150 Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #6  

    Default

    Has it been confirmed that the 9500 and 9530 don't have WiFi?

    This guy seems to think otherwise.

    Quote Originally Posted by JRSCCivic98 View Post
    lol, funny.

    Actually, I'm anxiously awaiting the 9520 so that we can see if the hardware id is 9500. If it is, then all the Storms probably have WIFI in them. RIM would only do this to be able to keep production costs down. It would be a lot more cost effective for them to produce 1 hardware model and control it via low level software and sell 3 different branded models. We already know the 9500 and 9530 are identical hardware wise, why would RIM do that with two models and then spend money producing different hardware on the third. Doesn't make financial sense to me, especially if they could produce 1 and sell as 3 without any productions issues or constraints.

    I am speculating on this, but 66.66% model builds being identical sure look like good odds that the rest of the 33.33% will be the same. I guess we'll see soon enough.
    I wanna see confirmation before WiFi is ruled out.
  7. freshgeardude's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    582 Posts
    Global Posts
    585 Global Posts
    #7  

    Default

    THERE IS NO WIFI IN THE 9530 or 9500!

    people have opened them up already....
  8. skinnedcartree's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    204 Posts
    PIN
    20CBC548
    #8  

    Default

    Am I being dumb, but why do people need wifi when they have unlimited date plans?
  9. PlugGuy's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    224 Posts
    #9  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by skinnedcartree View Post
    Am I being dumb, but why do people need wifi when they have unlimited date plans?

    Sometimes signals are weak, and wi fi would be much faster. Recent trip to Mexico - I used my Storm, my son had his iTouch. His wi-fi iTouch was significantly more effective in range, than my BB was anywhere in the area. As for email or basics, no biggie. Load a few websites, forget it.

    Stupid move not to have wi-fi in these things. Simple to do from a mfr'g standpoint, but I think the carriers want all the traffic.
  10. Crucial_Xtreme's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    9,119 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,185 Global Posts
    #10  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Raditude View Post
    Has it been confirmed that the 9500 and 9530 don't have WiFi?

    This guy seems to think otherwise.



    I wanna see confirmation before WiFi is ruled out.
    First off, that's not a guy. Second, Civic said let's wait and see if the 9520 and 9500 have the same HW ID. That's not confirmation. It's saying lets wait and see what the deal is.
  11. Accidental Post's Avatar
    Slayer of Misinformation

    Posts
    5,346 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,378 Global Posts
    PIN
    Smartphones are for Smart People
    #12  

    Default

    Civic does not a WiFi Antenna if you know what I mean...LOL
    "Do you want to sell sugar water or do you want to change the world?"

    Steve Jobs to John Sculley the then CEO of Pepsi.

  12. badmojo024's Avatar
    CrackBerry Newbie

    Posts
    8 Posts
    #13  

    Default

    ok, another possibly stupid question, but if neither the 9500 or the 9530 storm's have the wifi hardware, why do i keep seeing all these theme screenshots of the storm with the "wifi" icon displayed? is there another model of the storm i'm just not aware of, or is the wifi available from service providers other than verizon? just curious...
  13. DarwinsFolly's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    19 Posts
    Global Posts
    24 Global Posts
    PIN
    305333C1
    #14  

    Default

    The screen shots you see with it on is the editor showing all on so when they make a model like the 9520 it is there. It is just a place holder.
    I'm one of the worlds few practicing Optimistic Pessimists

    I know the glass is half full, but with what?
  14. badmojo024's Avatar
    CrackBerry Newbie

    Posts
    8 Posts
    #15  

    Default

    ok... haven't used plazmic or the simulators yet, so i thought it was an actual screenshot... my bad, thanx for the info

Posting Permissions