Hi,

I'm having an issue receiving or sending emails while on the phone.
    I use my bluetooth a lot, so it's easy for me to type up a quick email while talking on the phone to someone else.
    Text messaging seems to work fine, but no email for some reason. I can draft the email okay, but it won't send, and keeps the "radio" icon next to it until I disconnect the call.
    The same with incoming emails, I won't get any until I disconnect the phone call, and then a flood of emails will come in at once.

Is there a network / option setting I'm missing?
    Running Storm 9530, Verizon, OS version 122 from Bell.

Thanks!
    05-18-09 10:59 AM
    Hi,

I'm having an issue receiving or sending emails while on the phone.
    I use my bluetooth a lot, so it's easy for me to type up a quick email while talking on the phone to someone else.
    Text messaging seems to work fine, but no email for some reason. I can draft the email okay, but it won't send, and keeps the "radio" icon next to it until I disconnect the call.
    The same with incoming emails, I won't get any until I disconnect the phone call, and then a flood of emails will come in at once.

Is there a network / option setting I'm missing?
    Running Storm 9530, Verizon, OS version 122 from Bell.

Thanks!
    The Storm cannot do simultaneous voice and data... it does not have that capability.
    05-18-09 11:00 AM
    The Storm cannot do simultaneous voice and data... it does not have that capability.
    Is it just the Storm that has this issue? My friend's on VZW and says her Curve can do it....is she wrong?
    (Don't worry, I love my Storm so I'm not bashing on it, or glorifying the Curve in any way).
    05-18-09 11:02 AM
    The problem is actually with the network. CDMA (i.e. Verizon) networks can process voice and data simultaneously.
    05-18-09 11:04 AM
    The problem is actually with the network. CDMA (i.e. Verizon) networks can process voice and data simultaneously.
    I am on Verizon... using a Storm... it cannot do simultaneous voice and data. If I am on the phone, the emails/BBM will not come through until the call is ended.
    05-18-09 11:06 AM
    I am on Verizon... using a Storm... it cannot do simultaneous voice and data. If I am on the phone, the emails/BBM will not come through until the call is ended.
    Thanks for the help. At least it's not my phone
    Bummer we can't do both simultaneously.
    05-18-09 11:11 AM
    Thanks for the help. At least it's not my phone
    Bummer we can't do both simultaneously.
    This came from RIM's website:

"Simultaneous voice and data connectivity is only available when the BlackBerry Storm smartphone is connected to a HSPA GSM network."

Because the Storm on Verizon is CDMA, and not GSM, it cannot do simultaneous voice and data.
    05-18-09 11:12 AM
    This came from RIM's website:

"Simultaneous voice and data connectivity is only available when the BlackBerry Storm smartphone is connected to a HSPA GSM network."

Because the Storm on Verizon is CDMA, and not GSM, it cannot do simultaneous voice and data.
    That blows. I thought CDMA was supposed to be superior to GSM.
    At least in the US, in terms of connection quality.
    05-18-09 11:14 AM
    That blows. I thought CDMA was supposed to be superior to GSM.
    At least in the US, in terms of connection quality.
    In my opinion CDMA generally is superior in terms of connection quality. This however is a feature unrelated to connection quality that HSPA GSM has as an advantage over CDMA.

My preference is for the wider availability of fast data connections provided by the Verizon CDMA network. Your mileage may vary. I agree the feature would be nice though.
    05-18-09 11:32 AM
    GSM or CDMA, it all depends on the area you're in and how good the carrier's network is in that area. I think in most areas of the CA and TX, Verizon seems to have a better network coverage than other GSM carriers but GSM does have advantages over CDMA like simultaneous voice and data. I do believe Verizon should be offering something similar where you can use voice and data simultaneously but I forgot what it was called.

One reason I hate GSM is that they cause static to most electronic devices while on call. I haven't used a smartphone on GSM network so I'm not sure if it does the same thing with data connection but it's annoying. Some people tend to think of it as a sign that you have a call coming in.

Afterall, a phone is a phone and its most important function is phone call so I believe phone calls take priority over data on Verizon.
    05-18-09 01:24 PM
    Change This may have just changed, but I'm currently talking on my Storm and receiving emails. I am extremely pleased if this is now possible.

(Running Lyricidal 5.0/148 Hybrid)
    05-27-09 03:11 PM
    Change This may have just changed, but I'm currently talking on my Storm and receiving emails. I am extremely pleased if this is now possible.

(Running Lyricidal 5.0/148 Hybrid)
    Are you able to send emails as well, while on the phone ?
    Can anyone else confirm this? I'm at work now so I'm not able to test it.
    Is it possibly OS version-based that may be allowing for this?
    05-27-09 03:14 PM
    I am able to text/email while on the phone. I do it almost everyday.
    05-27-09 03:16 PM
    I am able to text/email while on the phone. I do it almost everyday.
    Does it actually go through?
    I can create and draft emails, click "send" too...but it just stays there and won't show the "sent checkmark" next to it, until I hang up.
    Texting does appear to work, just not email.
    05-27-09 03:21 PM
    I believe you've always been able to receive texts while on the phone. Texts aren't treated like data. I can't verify for sure about sending texts though.

Email/data is another story though and it has always been my understanding that CDMA networks cannot do both simultaneously as others have pointed out.
    05-27-09 03:28 PM
    VZW phones CANNOT use Data and Voice at the same time. It's a limitation of the network, not the phone.
    05-27-09 03:32 PM
    Voice and data usually do not work at the same time. For example, while on a call, you probably can't email, use an instant messenger app to chat, etc. but text messaging is still possible.

I don't think it has anything to do with the OS you're using...
    05-27-09 03:33 PM
    I was able to receive texts, emails, BBM messages etc. while on a voice call, however, recently, since the official 5.0 upgrade, I have encountered the same issue as the OP. I have always made sure that my notification settings are configured to "notify me during calls", and they always have, until recently...
    11-06-09 12:12 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD