Looking at getting a storm i had a question about data caps. Im sure verizon has one and with all the new apps coming to the blackberry store do you think anyone would come close to a cap?
    04-13-09 11:07 AM
    The BB data plans on Verizon are unlimited... unlimited browsing, email, etc. on your phone. No cap.
    04-13-09 11:13 AM
    5GB Cap a month for All verizon data plans

Unlimited Data Plans and Features (such as NationalAccess, BroadbandAccess, Push to Talk, and certain VZEmail services) may ONLY be used with wireless devices for the following purposes: (i) Internet browsing; (ii) email; and (iii) intranet access (including access to corporate intranets, email, and individual productivity applications like customer relationship management, sales force, and field service automation). The Unlimited Data Plans and Features MAY NOT be used for any other purpose. Examples of prohibited uses include, without limitation, the following: (i) continuous uploading, downloading or streaming of audio or video programming or games; (ii) server devices or host computer applications, including, but not limited to, Web camera posts or broadcasts, automatic data feeds, automated machine–to–machine connections or peer–to–peer (P2P) file sharing; or (iii) as a substitute or backup for private lines or dedicated data connections. This means, by way of example only, that checking email, surfing the Internet, downloading legally acquired songs, and/or visiting corporate intranets is permitted, but downloading movies using P2P file sharing services and/or redirecting television signals for viewing on laptops is prohibited. A person engaged in prohibited uses, continuously for one hour, could typically use 100 to 200 MBs, or, if engaged in prohibited uses for 10 hours a day, 7 days a week, could use more than 5 GBs in a month.

For individual use only and not for resale. We reserve the right to protect our network from harm, which may impact legitimate data flows. We reserve the right to limit throughput or amount of data transferred, and to deny or terminate service, without notice, to anyone we believe is using an Unlimited Data Plan or Feature in any manner prohibited above or whose usage adversely impacts our network or service levels. Anyone using more than 5 GB per line in a given month is presumed to be using the service in a manner prohibited above, and we reserve the right to immediately terminate the service of any such person without notice. We also reserve the right to terminate service upon expiration of Customer Agreement term.
    04-13-09 11:23 AM
    Now you will probably almost never hit 5GB i only get about 80MB a month. and that is with slacker running here and there.. most higher users hit around 300MB's a month or so
    04-13-09 11:24 AM
    The 5GB data cap is basically for people who tether their BB to a laptop for internet connections. I doubt a normal user could ever get to 5GB w/o tethering.
    04-13-09 11:30 AM
    The 5GB data cap is basically for people who tether their BB to a laptop for internet connections. I doubt a normal user could ever get to 5GB w/o tethering.
    Thank you... I should have been more specific in my first post... that is why I stated "on the phone", but I shouldn't assume that everyone knows what that means.
    04-13-09 11:33 AM
    Thanks for the quick feed back everyone. I'm excited to get a bb for the first timeand I don't want any suprise bill. Thanks again.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-13-09 12:03 PM
    The BB data plans on Verizon are unlimited... unlimited browsing, email, etc. on your phone. No cap.
    lol thats what they tell you run it up over 5 gig once and then say that
    04-13-09 12:06 PM
    lol thats what they tell you run it up over 5 gig once and then say that
    It is extremely hard to go over 5gb if you aren't using your phone as a tethering device.
    04-13-09 12:21 PM
    Never knew the word unlimited meant 5gb.

Would be a good lawsuit, but VZW covered their *** in their TOS.
    04-13-09 12:28 PM
    Thank you... I should have been more specific in my first post... that is why I stated "on the phone", but I shouldn't assume that everyone knows what that means.
    lol... no worries. I knew what you meant, just thougth I'd elaborate
    04-17-09 06:38 AM
    The 5 G cap for regular data is a soft cap, meaning vzw won't charge you if you go over but they can close your account if they so choose. Generally the first time you go over you just get a warning.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-17-09 06:50 AM
    Never knew the word unlimited meant 5gb.

Would be a good lawsuit, but VZW covered their *** in their TOS.
    I have an attorney that said he was going to sue Verizon over the 8830 when he found it wouldn't work everywhere in the World. I told him to get a sat phone, but warned him that wouldn't work everywhere in the world either.
    04-17-09 07:22 AM
    At least two legislators are working on bills that would ban capping or tier-ing of internet access. Both reps are from NY where Time Warner had been rolling out a tiered billing plan on a 'trial' basis. Comcast has a 'soft cap' of 250 gb that was hoisted on users a few months back. Time backed off this week, in part to avoid having legislation passed that would hamstring their abusive practices. Comcast's limits are high enough that only a very small group of users are affected and thus the complaints are small enough to not get noticed.

Internet access is no longer just for browsing and surfing the web. Medical devices, telephony, and simple home alarm monitoring are all tied to the pipeline that these companies provide. Consider that on one hand these companies what to provide video on demand and then want to place an additional tax on bringing that data stream into our homes. Just like the common street dealer, now that these companies have us 'wired' on their access and pipe they looking to extract maximum tolls from us.

Contact your Congressional rep and let them know that you are opposed to capping and throttling of internet access by ISP's.
    04-17-09 08:02 AM
    5gb is ONLY for tethering...and they only charge you for mb past that allowance...the bb web/email plan $29.99 and BES $44.99 is for using the data ON the phone, tethering is running data THROUGH the phone AS A MODEM...(i'm not yelling, caps for important info cus i don't expect everyone to read my whole post. i hardly read unless i have to...)

on your phone = no overages, no throttling or capping unless they send you a letter first

phone as a modem = allowance of 5GB, if you exceed, no cap or throttle, just pay overages.

hope some n00b benefits from me being up at the crack of dawn today.
    04-17-09 08:25 AM
    I have both my BB storm and a VZW data card. On the bill and even in the my account area for the BB storm they do not show there is a limit and state unlimited. However when I look at the VZW data card there is no such distinction. As long as you are not using your bb as a modem you are good to go and there is no cap.

"Unlimited Data Plans and Features (such as NationalAccess, BroadbandAccess, Push to Talk, and certain VZEmail services) may ONLY be used with wireless devices...."

If you read this fully it does not specifily list the blackberry data plans in the tos regarding the 5GB cap.
    Last edited by billiam2003; 04-17-09 at 08:51 AM. Reason: edit word
    04-17-09 08:51 AM
    I find it RIDICULOUS that VZW cap is 5GB while Vodafones is 500mb. Having said that I have never gotten any where near 500mb (i dont think) but im too worried to try a radio streaming app... should i be worried?
    04-17-09 09:15 AM
    i think the cap is a direct result of data network saturation and traffic...they use the cap as kind of a deterrent to avoid using up the whole bandwidth. ya know?
    04-17-09 03:17 PM
    Again i will highlight the TOS agreement between users and Verizon. Tethering is not even discussed, it IS for what you use on your phone. This applies to ALL dataplans with people who use Verizon. thats why this came out because of the big issue a while back with people suing Verizon for the cap because it was not stated. Now it is plaintly stated as for use on your phont and NOT tethering. Tethering is completely different because you actually pay them to tether. If you tell them thats what your doing

Unlimited Data Plans and Features (such as NationalAccess, BroadbandAccess, Push to Talk, and certain VZEmail services) may ONLY be used with wireless devices for the following purposes: (i) Internet browsing; (ii) email; and (iii) intranet access (including access to corporate intranets, email, and individual productivity applications like customer relationship management, sales force, and field service automation). The Unlimited Data Plans and Features MAY NOT be used for any other purpose. Examples of prohibited uses include, without limitation, the following: (i) continuous uploading, downloading or streaming of audio or video programming or games; (ii) server devices or host computer applications, including, but not limited to, Web camera posts or broadcasts, automatic data feeds, automated machine–to–machine connections or peer–to–peer (P2P) file sharing; or (iii) as a substitute or backup for private lines or dedicated data connections. This means, by way of example only, that checking email, surfing the Internet, downloading legally acquired songs, and/or visiting corporate intranets is permitted, but downloading movies using P2P file sharing services and/or redirecting television signals for viewing on laptops is prohibited. A person engaged in prohibited uses, continuously for one hour, could typically use 100 to 200 MBs, or, if engaged in prohibited uses for 10 hours a day, 7 days a week, could use more than 5 GBs in a month.

For individual use only and not for resale. We reserve the right to protect our network from harm, which may impact legitimate data flows. We reserve the right to limit throughput or amount of data transferred, and to deny or terminate service, without notice, to anyone we believe is using an Unlimited Data Plan or Feature in any manner prohibited above or whose usage adversely impacts our network or service levels. Anyone using more than 5 GB per line in a given month is presumed to be using the service in a manner prohibited above, and we reserve the right to immediately terminate the service of any such person without notice. We also reserve the right to terminate service upon expiration of Customer Agreement term.
    Last edited by Bigdaddy2009; 04-18-09 at 06:21 PM.
    04-18-09 06:16 PM
    Dont mean to sound rude or nothing. Just been beaten to death with all this Unlimited Data stuff.
    Last edited by Bigdaddy2009; 04-18-09 at 06:37 PM.
    04-18-09 06:28 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD