Hey Guys

I hope someone here is gonna be able to help me make sense with my Storm 9530 at Bell.
    I Bought the phone 8 months ago without knowing that bell is going to upgrade their network. With the phone I got the simcard (in case I travel overseas).
    So my phone has been working on CDMA only, so far. Knowing that the new network has much better signal I wanted to take advantage of it. But when I called the customer service they gave me the story "how my storm is not GSM capable" and that GSM only works when on roaming.
    To me that doesnt much make sense. I would say that it's only a question how you setup the software...I hope I'm right. I tried to get help with the guys in their stores, but they are not available unless you are buying something.

I"m gonna paste some info from RIM about the Storm 9530 and another from Bell.

Someone please tell em they are full of crap and how can I get my storm to run on Bells new GSM. Thanks.

from RIM Blackberry 9530 spec. sheet:

Wireless Networks

* Quad-band: 850/900/1800/1900 MHz GSM�/GPRS/EDGE networks
    * Single-band: 2100 MHz UMTS/HSPA networks
    * Dual-band: 800/1900/ MHz CDMA/Ev-DO Rev A networks

from Bell wireless website:

1 Based on: (a) fastest network, according to tests of average upload and download speeds using HSPA devices, in large Canadian urban centres, (b) largest network, based on total square kms of coverage, and (c) most reliable network based on tests for dropped calls and call clarity in large Canadian urban centres using HSPA devices; all on the shared HSPA/HSPA+ network available from Bell, vs. Rogers HSPA/HSPA+ network in September 2009. Speed may vary due to topography, environmental conditions, device type and other factors. Subject to change without notice. Available with compatible devices. Actual coverage is approximate and speed may vary due to topography, environmental conditions, device type and other factors. HSPA+ not available in all areas.
    12-04-09 12:49 PM
    U can't use the storm on bells new network as it doesn't have north American hsdpa frequincy only europe so bell was right. If u want on the new network yor going to have to find a phone with 850/1900mhz hsdpa frequincys and not 2100. Suck I know but nothing u can do
    12-04-09 02:34 PM
    And worse yet, while you CAN use an unlocked Storm on Rogers, you can't on Bell because they ONLY have HSPA on the GSM side, and not the slower GSM stuff like EDGE for example. Many folks in the US & Canada use unlocked Storms on ATT, Tmo & Rogers at EDGE speed.

On the plus side Bell has no immediate plans to phase out the CDMA side, they still sell plenty of CDMA devices.
    12-04-09 02:51 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD