Hey,
    I was planning to buy a Storm, but because I have my laptop with me at all times, I dont bother getting a data plan. I also have a tomtom so I wont really use the GPS.

I was wondering if the phone is still worth while without purchasing a dataplan.

P.S. I am on Canada Bell. They will let me activate without internet in hopes I slip up and open it and they can charge me through the roof Wink

I often use my phone atm for:

- Calling
    - Voice mail
    - Txting
    - Movies
    - Music
    - Games (rarely)
    - Notes
    - Calendar
    - Alarm Clock
    - Scheduling

not sure if this is the phone for me or not, I would be getting Storm 9530

also I am 19 almost 20 years old, don't do much business haha more fun
    01-07-09 04:54 PM
    I would never suggest to anyone that they get a BlackBerry without a data plan. That would be like me suggesting that you date a hot model, but never take her clothes off.
    01-07-09 05:00 PM
    Yes it will be fine without a data plan, but it's going to cost you an arm and a leg. That said, it will work, but a BlackBerry without a data plan is kind of like having a car but no engine.
    01-07-09 05:12 PM
    i believe verizon makes it mandatory that you have the blackberry data plan...
    01-07-09 05:23 PM
    I like heavy fluid's analogy a little better, no offense haha
    01-07-09 05:23 PM
    The BB spellchecker might give you problems...
    01-07-09 05:25 PM
    I think the Storm is becoming a different kind of Blackerry. Sure, I'd definitely agree, buying a Bold or a Curve without a data plan is not a good move, but the Storm does everything the OP needs.

At first I was thinking about keeping your current phone and buying an iPod Touch for multimedia, but the workarounds to be able to use it as a phone and for text messaging are a little cumbersome and it doesn't have a very good built-in calendar (can't add appointments AFAIK).

Then I thought about iPhone, but iPhone requires you to buy a data plan, so that's prob. not worth it.

Since data is so integrated into our lives and since data and voice are intertwined in CDMA, I think you'd be hard pressed to find a quality phone that has media capability, calendar, scheduling, but doesn't require data.

Maybe something like a Samsung Omnia or Instinct?

I dunno... I'd get the Storm if you can find it for $200 or less.
    01-07-09 05:26 PM
    Yes Verizon requires that you get the data plan with Blackberrys.
    01-07-09 05:26 PM
    He's not on Verizon, he's on Canada Bell, which allows him to opt out of a data plan. Not sure why Verizon is being brought up. Comparative purposes?
    01-07-09 05:32 PM
    i believe verizon makes it mandatory that you have the blackberry data plan...
    Yes Verizon requires that you get the data plan with Blackberrys.
    Good thing reading on this site is so important... the OP says he is on Bell in Canada, which is obviously NOT Verizon... hence whatever Verizon requires doesn't matter to the OP...

He's not on Verizon, he's on Canada Bell, which allows him to opt out of a data plan. Not sure why Verizon is being brought up. Comparative purposes?
    Thank you...
    01-07-09 05:33 PM
    I would never suggest to anyone that they get a BlackBerry without a data plan. That would be like me suggesting that you date a hot model, but never take her clothes off.
    Well put, well put
    01-07-09 05:35 PM
    Their right, it is mandatory to have the BB internet plan on a BB. Certain PDA's do not require it but the BB's do.
    01-07-09 05:38 PM
    i would make sure you can block the phone from doing data. otherwise you could end up with a huge bill and then you find out its because blackberry messenger is always running and was sending out packets.

or some app you installed was looking for updates or donwloading updates.

etc, etc. if you can block it, be real careful.

this may be why crucial said its going to cost you alot of money.
    01-07-09 05:40 PM
    haha... I completely agree
    01-07-09 05:44 PM
    Love the analogies, guys....keep them coming.

As far as the OP goes, the BlackBerry is very business minded. I do believe RIM developed the Storm to sway non-business users as well. I personally do not think the Storm should be bought without the data plan (see previously posted analogies) but this phone will do everything that you need it to do.

It sounds like cost might be a factor for you not getting the data plan. If that is the case, there are cheaper alternatives that will do what you had requested (but not as cool as the Storm).

So.....to sum it up. If you are willing to pay for it, it is worth it but I & the majority of the other addicts on this site will tell you that it just is not the same phone without the data plan.

Let us know what you decide.
    01-07-09 05:44 PM
    whats the point in getting one then. its slower than regular phones which in your case will be cheaper and do the trick. its only worth the extra lag time if you can use the phone for what its worth. i say a massive no..
    01-07-09 05:47 PM
    I'm not knocking you at all but it sounds like you want the Storm because its the 'hot' phone right now. A BB without data is only 1/4 of the blackberry experience IMHO. And PLEASE research the Storm before you buy it. The last thing crackberry needs is another 'Storm sucks!' thread. Good luck with the choice you make.
    01-07-09 05:55 PM
    I'm going to say I wouldn't have my Storm to this day if I had no data plan. Honestly, I'd have been so mad about the flaws from day 1...I would have gave up. With the data plan, I am sucked into this thing!

Maybe check some other alternatives out? There are plenty of smartphones out there now...heck, I could do everything you were looking to do on my razr... (i think)

Cool phones are out..this IMO is the coolest right now. Tho, I'll admit, if the Omnia had the screen/click of the Storm...I wouldn't be here right now...

And agreed..if you're going to post...I'd probably pay a bit more attention to the OP... Just because VZW is so stupid on the requirement to have data, doesn't mean everyone else does the same.
    01-07-09 06:01 PM
    And we have a winner!
    01-07-09 06:15 PM
    Yup.

Although your functions you use the phone for when you actually get a blackberry in your hands you want that data plan.
    01-07-09 06:21 PM
    Their right, it is mandatory to have the BB internet plan on a BB. Certain PDA's do not require it but the BB's do.
    Can people PLEASE start reading posts as well as subject lines and not just one.

Bell doesn't require it....**** even CX said above that it would be fine but rather pointless.
    01-07-09 06:21 PM
    Can people PLEASE start reading posts as well as subject lines and not just one.

Bell doesn't require it....**** even CX said above that it would be fine but rather pointless.
    Whoops sorry about that I just reread it. But for anyone wanting it on verizon it is a must. My apologies again guys.
    Last edited by Silver04XLT; 01-07-09 at 08:43 PM.
    01-07-09 08:40 PM
    Yeah, a BB without a data plan seems like bad times to me. Are you sure this a prudent move?
    01-07-09 09:02 PM
    I totally agree!

You can obviously do it without a data plan, but then it is not honestly a blackberry.

I would never recommend anyone get a blackberry without a data plan.
    01-07-09 09:29 PM
    That would be like picking up a hooker and not asking her how much she charges.
    01-07-09 10:15 PM
39 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD