So... a few nights ago I was watching a YouTube about how to get dust out from underneath the digitizer screen. Fast forward to last night... I was at work talking on the phone to a customer and was bored so I decided to try this trick out. The only tools I had on hand were some office supplies. I decided to try using a tack to separate the screens. Well, a tack is a lot different from a guitar pick in that it's harder than the glass and puts all the pressure in one point. Needless to say, I cracked the digitizer screen. The LCD underneath is just fine, but the digitizer is ruined. I can make (using voice-dial) and receive calls, but nothing else now.

I found that the digitizers are sold on eBay at at pretty reasonable price, but I have just one question from those Crackberry experts out there. One listing I found said that it was a 9530/9500 digitizer and then goes on to say GSM model only.. NOT CDMA. Is there really a difference between the GSM and CDMA digitizers? I want to go ahead and buy one as soon as possible so that I can get it back to working condition.
    07-26-09 05:18 PM
    Anyone have any idea about this?
    07-27-09 01:12 AM
    i would highly doubt any difference at all. I dont know for sure, i just cant see any possible reason for it to be different
    07-27-09 01:22 AM
    I didn't think it would be different, but I decided to ask the seller if there really is a difference. He just repeated what the listing said... GSM only. I bought it anyway. I'll post an update once I install it.
    07-27-09 05:39 AM
    how much was it?
    07-27-09 09:23 AM
    It was $31.99 with free shipping and included the T6 screwdriver and a pry tool to get the phone apart. I figure it's cheaper than placing an insurance claim and I'm actually really happy with my Storm. I don't want to get a replacement that may potentially have other problems.
    07-27-09 01:04 PM
    You can get tech support help from Horizon Wireless. Besides doing the repair for you, they also sell phone support and I'm sure he can help you thru the process and answer your questions, if you can't get a satifactory answer here for free.
    07-27-09 01:08 PM
    +1 for Horizon Wireless, have saved arses known to me in past.
    Good luck

Cheers
    07-27-09 02:54 PM
    It was $31.99 with free shipping and included the T6 screwdriver and a pry tool to get the phone apart. I figure it's cheaper than placing an insurance claim and I'm actually really happy with my Storm. I don't want to get a replacement that may potentially have other problems.
    Tim-

any word on this yet? I just did the same thing, and I found that same user on ebay only to get the same response from them. Then I stumbled on this thread. Let me know!

Joe
    08-05-09 02:31 AM
    Well, I got the screen... pulled the phone apart. Found that the ribbon cable to connect the screen was soldered whereas I thought it would just be some sort of connector. I decided that soldering those tiny wires was beyond what I cared to undertake on my own... so I placed a claim with insurance, paid my $50, and got a replacement. So, I really can't answer the question as to if the digitizer is actually different. I noticed on cnn.cn they sell an LCD Type 1 and LCD Type 2, but only digitizer. I'm still assuming that it would work, but no proof on that.
    08-05-09 03:39 AM
    dang that stinks...sorry bro!
    08-05-09 04:48 AM
    Tim gave me his BB Storm to work on and I was able to solder the ribbon ends correctly and now the touchscreen is working again. Not too difficult, just need a sharp solder point and a steady hand. I was able to use the solder left over from the original joint to connect the new ribbon. Works like a charm....now just gotta replace the doublesided tape that holds it together.....
    08-06-09 04:25 PM
    so I placed a claim with insurance, paid my $50, and got a replacement.
    whos your insurance co? asurion? why is my deductible more than yours???
    08-06-09 05:50 PM
    They just changed the insurance rates recently... Used to be $50 deductible for any phone. Now, its $39 for a regular phone and $89 for "advanced devices"
    08-06-09 08:05 PM
    If you purchased your phone before they changed, you can keep the old rates until the next time you upgrade
    08-06-09 08:07 PM
    Tim gave me his BB Storm to work on and I was able to solder the ribbon ends correctly and now the touchscreen is working again. Not too difficult, just need a sharp solder point and a steady hand. I was able to use the solder left over from the original joint to connect the new ribbon. Works like a charm....now just gotta replace the doublesided tape that holds it together.....
    Please i need the link to the digitizer seller
    09-16-09 05:21 AM
    32 dollars can i get shipped to Nigeria immediately
    09-16-09 05:31 AM
    hey bro

i need to replace the digitizer on my storm "cracked but screen still works" any tips? thanks

i tried to pm you but i do not have 10 posts yet
    09-19-09 06:45 PM
    i know this might be kind of late but, the cdma digitizer are 014, and the gsm ones are 001. the numbers can be found on either, the back of the ribbon on a white sticker, or printed on the back near the click bubble
    09-20-09 03:33 AM
    I'm planning on doing the same thing. Would really appreciate some of your help though. I can't PM you yet but please hit me back, would really appreciate it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-11-09 09:31 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD