I read in the specs that the storm was 3g, but I always seem to get 1XEV. I thought this was 3G equivalent but i can't browse the web or send/receive emails while i'm on a call... is there a way to turn it on? On verizon
    02-23-09 11:15 AM
    1XEV is the equivalent of 3G on verizons CDMA network - so you get 3G speeds when using the web or email. However you can't use data and call at the same time
    02-23-09 11:19 AM
    CDMA (1XEV) does not support voice and data transmission at the same time. Some older phones could do it under 1X only, but definitely not under 3G (EV). GSM supports voice and data transmission at the same time though.
    02-23-09 01:52 PM
    I'm so bummed that I can't surf the web while on a call. My friends get so boring sometimes, and being able to completely ignore them by web surfing would be awesome.

;-)

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-23-09 02:18 PM
    I also noticed that Google Maps/Latitude stops tracking me while I'm on the phone.
    02-23-09 02:21 PM
    I also noticed that Google Maps/Latitude stops tracking me while I'm on the phone.
    yea, the gps is assisted gps, basically it finds out what the closest tower to you is (ie the one you're connected to) and then uses the gps to find the more precise location. That first part is data based, so if in a call it won't do it. You can try turning off location assistance in advanced options > gps to see if it will keep going on gps only, but no guarantee that will work. It could also take up to 45 seconds to get a fix on you on a "cold" gps start
    02-23-09 03:25 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD