i have heard many good and bad things about this phone.... currently have the pearl 8130. so i am a previuos blackberry user, i plan to get the storm tomorrow the 12th of may... wehn i get my new storm what is the 1st thing that is recommended to do? besides charge it up! i have read threw these forums for about the last 2.5 hours... i will be reading more.... just want so pointers so i can play with it as soon as its charged.... and i welcome the naysayers that will say not to buy it! this looks like an awesome site as i have even found some new things for my pearl that i did not know..... now how about those pointers!
    05-11-09 04:54 PM
    also any accessories that you you could not live with out?
    05-11-09 05:06 PM
    Change your OS to one of the leaked Operating Systems first thing, you can not believe the difference it will make. Find yourself a cool theme if that is your thing. Then start reading up on which Apps are worth downloading. Be sure you do the OS it's the difference between loving and hating the phone IMHO the 141 hybred OS is the best IMO
    05-11-09 05:14 PM
    Acessories. Silicone case, car charger, desktop charger station. You may want to upgeade to a higher os too. I also came from a pearl and I love my storm. Anyone who has already had a berry is ahead of the game cuz they already GET the bb platform.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-11-09 05:23 PM
    yeah i have heard about the OS thing....i will needeing some help to switch the OS wehn the time comes... is there any quick links you can post for me to read up on?
    05-11-09 05:24 PM
    Make sure you take a lot of time to play with the new device. I have had my fair share of BBs and I really like my Storm. You will notice that since this is the flagship touchscreen, there are flaws in the out of box O.S. that comes on the phone. You can search through the threads here to get ahold of a new O.S. for your Storm (I have tried all of them, and I am now using v .132).

I recommend you take the time to use the out of box O.S. first and experience the flaws in it first hand BEFORE you upgrade your O.S.. This may sound nuts, but you will appreciate the fundamental differences between what you bought and what you WILL HAVE much more. I recommend upgrading to Bell Mobility OS v.122 first, and then if you�re not satisfied, try .132. The instructions for the upgrades are somewhat different for the two versions as one is an official release from a different carrier, and the other is a beta release, but you will find more than satisfactory instructions in the threads for these particular O.S.'s here on CB. The OPs for those particular Leaked O.S. threads are well educated people who know what they are talking about, so follow the instruction carefully once you decide to do your upgrade. Keep in mind, VZW will not support you for any tech issues if they are aware you are using an OS that is not approved for their network. VZW has been very slow at getting out an update. However, since my upgrade to .122 and even with .132, I haven�t needed any support because most of my issues with the phone were fixed with the .122 OS. Hopefully the OFFICIAL VZW OS will be out there soon.

Once you get settled in, some MUST HAVE APPS you NEED for your phone:

1) QuickPull v2 (available for FREE on BB AppWorld or here on CB). Simulates a battery pull for a soft reset without taking apart your case and your phone (SUPER HANDY)

2) Look into a good memory management software like MeterBerry or Aerize Memory Optimizer. This will help you keep your new Storm running at top speed.

I know there are complaints out there on this device, everyone has different experiences, but I absolutely love my Storm.

That�s all I've got for ya off the top of my head. HAVE FUN!!
    05-11-09 05:26 PM
    First thing you'll want to do is upgrade your OS. I have not upgraded to .141, but am perfectly content with my slimmed down .122. So far over 25 days without a battery pull or random reboots. Also, get yourself some kind of holster. I carry my storm in my 8830 holster and it fits both on my belt and in my pocket and keeps dust from collecting on my phone when in my pocket.
    05-11-09 05:28 PM
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f132/al...-betas-123176/

Then for .132 :
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f132/le...9530-a-212788/
    The instructions for the .132 install are also in this link.
    05-11-09 05:33 PM
    05-11-09 05:53 PM
    I suggest you take a few days to build a relationship with it before you do ANYTHING including changing the OS. There's a fairly steep learning curve that comes along with this phone and before you try to move into the complexes of it you should become one with it. And one more thing...make sure the "H" and "E" keys work properly on it cuz obviously they don't on your Pearl!

Last edited by unseenme; 05-11-09 at 05:57 PM.
    05-11-09 05:55 PM
    You will find the camera is almost unusable with .75, the OS that comes with the Storm. So if you need to take pics, I think one of the easiest leaked OS betas to install is .113.
    05-11-09 06:01 PM
    I suggest you take a few days to build a relationship with it before you do ANYTHING including changing the OS. There's a fairly steep learning curve that comes along with this phone and before you try to move into the complexes of it you should become one with it. And one more thing...make sure the "H" and "E" keys work properly on it cuz obviously they don't on your Pearl!

+1 agreed
    05-11-09 06:45 PM

+2 ........
    05-11-09 06:54 PM

lol... the h and e keys!... that was a fat finger typo on the home PC!.....
    05-11-09 08:15 PM
    thanks for all tHE pointers also i will be getting it as soon as the store opens up!
    05-11-09 08:17 PM
    highly recommend the storm. i have it and have the os 132 and it runs great. get a theme that fits you and your storm will be "yours". car charger is definately a good extra to buy i agree.
    05-11-09 08:18 PM
    Definitely upgrade the OS there is a wealth of info on the upgrade. The hybrids are great but, leaked OS's are usually easier. Regardless there are tutorials for whatever you would like.

You can't go wrong with the top apps like Viigo etc. Keep in mind the phone does not lock during a call so you bump it with your cheek. I recommend a lock of some kind. Also pick up a screen protecter.

My favorite app of all is Slacker Radio which i think is a must. Then pick a theme... Ecruz has several free themes for the storm which work great.
    05-12-09 11:41 PM
    welcome to crackberry friend
    05-13-09 03:56 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD