Thinking of giving up my iPhone 3GS not for anything other then paying for two family plans in one household is dumb and I am tired of paying $400 plus per month for me on the iphone and the rest of the family on Verizon, although I will miss the iphone greatly.

I have been going back and forth and I am totally tossed on the Storm's only bc Verizon is offering me a Storm 1 for $49 and the Storm 2 for $179 after all rebates.

I do not want to pay a lot of a phone but I am just wondering with the Storm, if I get the 1 with the new updates is it just as good, I can live without Wifi, and I can always install a larger memory card.

I have heard that you can not install a lot of apps on the Storm or Storm 2 due to the memory limitations? is this really true? Can you run apps from a Micro SD card to prevent using system memory, how much memory on the Storm and Storm 2 do you have for APPS, I know music I can put on a MSD card.

Thanks All for your help
    12-10-09 09:32 PM
    Storm 1 has a memory crunch, but Storm 2 has more than enough memory and handles apps and themes quite well. After an iPhone, you probably won't be thrilled with the browser, but like all phones, the BB has its pluses and minuses relative to other phones. At least you'll be saving lots of minutes because the rest of your family is on VZW and the unlimited M2M is quite nice. You will have to pay for a data plan for your Storms. Depending on where you live, the coverage might be better, too (or worse).
    12-10-09 09:38 PM
    You also cannot load apps from the memory card. There is an app that let's you move the installer file to the memory card, but you cannot install or run the app from the memory card. As said, the s2 has twice as much memory as the s1 and it also has the wifi. Basically, the two are the same phone minus those two differences.
    12-10-09 10:01 PM
    You also cannot load apps from the memory card. There is an app that let's you move the installer file to the memory card, but you cannot install or run the app from the memory card. As said, the s2 has twice as much memory as the s1 and it also has the wifi. Basically, the two are the same phone minus those two differences.
    Yep, what amavit said. It was crazy-making on my S1 to have my media card 97% empty and I couldn't use it for apps. The S2 has more app memory (I boot with 130 mb) but it's still not a beast. I guess it depends on how many apps you need. I have about 15 apps, and I leave a couple of themes on the phone. I'm happy with mine because I like Verizon (best coverage in my area), most people with whom I talk every day are also on Verizon, so it saves me minutes. Email is pretty important to me and the Storm (and all BlackBerries) do a great job with this. Browser is less important to me, so that's why I didn't jump to the Droid.
    12-10-09 10:09 PM
    All above poasts are correct but coming from an I phone be perpared to be let down they are two different worlds. If your looking for something similar to the iphone look into the droid. The storm is kinda an advanced dumb phone its not going to have the feel of an iphone the droid will get you closer to that. But you do have 30 days to try it. Unless you really want to save the 100 some odd dollars I'd go with the storm 2 more memory and just a newer phone. But really look at the droid cuz I have a feeling that unless you have used blackberrys before you will be disapointed

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-11-09 01:16 AM
    You might also take a look at the HTC Eris. Very similar to the Droid but with Sense UI.
    12-11-09 08:33 AM
    My husband & I both got S1's back in June & he went through so many replacement phones we finally got them to upgrade it to a S2. (but I'm using it cuz I utilize more apps than he does) I can tell a huge difference in it in the day that we've had it. There is way more room to have apps on it. And with the 16GB memory card you can store tons of pics, music & movies etc. The browser is not the best but I strongly recommend Bolt browser. It loads full pages in less time than the BB browser can load the mobile version.

I'm still planning to migrate to the Droid next June, but now we'll have another good phone for him to use when that happens.
    12-11-09 09:00 AM
    Save yourself the agony and get something else. You'll probably love it for a few months and then you'll get sick of it leaking memory like the Exxon Valdez. Go with the new Curve or the Tour. You'll be happier in the long run.
    12-11-09 02:11 PM
    As far as the camera I do not even really use the one on my iPhone, I had the Storm 2 and my iPhone side by side in Verizon, wow the brower is horrible and the phone slow, however they both have different purposes though.

I have had Blackberry phones before and I was not impressed with the World Edition, and my Wife has the 8830 Pinkenberry Curve, she loves it and finds the iPhone non amusing, so I have to make my own assumption.

The reason I was thinking of switching was purly to save money on our monthly bill it is sick how much I am paying for everything, however the one feature AT&T has Verizon does not is the Phone/Data access so I can talk on speaker phone while browsing the web, with Verizon you can only do one at a time, not easy to get over that hurdle when your used to doing two things at the same time

I just like the look of the Storm's and the fact that they are customizable and close in function to the iPhone. I do NOT like the Droid, too big and slider qwerty kybd is horrible for me anyway.

It looks like I am swinging towards the Storm 1 because it is dirt cheap so if it breaks after a year no biggie, I will get something else.

Thanks for all the advice, but what are the accessories I should get with the Storm, and what is the best and slimmest case out there to protect my storm. Also what are the good apps to have, I generally use Weather Channel and Facebook, that is all bc the games I purchased on my iTouch will not work on the Storm anyway.
    12-11-09 02:40 PM
    I have been using a Storm 1 for a couple of months now and I'm happy with it. As others have said, it depends on what you want from your phone.
    12-11-09 02:40 PM
    IMO saving money would be the first thing on my mind. Go with the Storm 1 and save. There will be alot of differences between the S1 and the ipone I am sure but you will learn to love the S1 due to the fact that you will be putting alot of money in your pocket every month from the switch....

The S1 isn't that bad of a phone unless you are an app heur and need an ungodly amount of app memory. I got my S1 the week the S2 came out and I still went with the S1, and I don't regret that decision at all but to each his own......

When I bought my S1 I bought a Otterbox Commuter. Very nice case and the best I have ever used. I would definitely recommend getting it....
    Last edited by BIG CAT 7; 12-11-09 at 02:50 PM.
    12-11-09 02:48 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD