It isn't my intention to discredit those who are having legitimate issues with the device.

There are people here and there that are having such terrible experiences that they feel the device is totally unacceptable and it simply shouldn't be on the market, but many times I see that these same people are using unofficial or leaked OS versions.

Now I understand that people love to test these things out; I'm one of them. But when you encounter issues that are accompanied with an unofficial OS build that your carrier has not thrown their support behind as of yet, how can that be anything other than a user-created problem? Now let me be clear, when I say user-created problem I include myself because I jump all over new and leaked OS versions as well. I've started out thinking they were fantastic only to be hit with surprises later that made me change my tune or I was entirely satisfied with what I upgraded to. However, when I hit those issues, I'm always mindful that I share apart of the blame for trying out unofficial software.

It can't always be the devices fault.

This isn't to say that the official OS releases haven't been known to have their issues as well, but the device is no "pos". I can't name a single new or slightly upgraded device initiative by a company that hasn't had issues. Not a single one! If we're going to call something a pos, it should be the state of the software. I don't agree because I'm more than satisfied with my current experience, but how about we lay the blame where it belongs? A big part of the problem is also the users. That can't be brushed aside. There are legitimate issues that people are having, but then there are overreacting users as well. I thought my screen felt funny and the clicking might not be the best as well, until I got better accustomed to the damn thing. Now I think it's great

Don't think the software can't make a world of difference because improved software has always been known to do just that.
    Last edited by Optimusv2; 01-04-09 at 02:46 PM.
    01-04-09 02:43 PM
    I have had a great experience.

I used to get an occasional freeze/crash, but with 85 I haven't had any.

I had the random reboot thing happen once...

My battery life is great. OS lag is almost entirely gone(it was annoying with older OS versions).

i just LOVE this phone. It is everything I could want.

While I'd like to assume a new OS will fix my problems, Verizon isn't offering the new OS. Why? Who knows. But I'm judging the product based on how Verizon offers it.

As for the bugginess of the Storm vs. the bugginess of the iPhone: all the iPhone bugs were software. At least some of the Storm bugs are hardware. I don't think it's comparable, as software can be fixed, hardware can't.
    01-04-09 02:44 PM
    fair enough
    i still dont see where i said not to buy it
    sad to say yes i think it is a POS
    IMHO the device wasnt ready to be released but what do i know?

Once again, I was speaking generally. I did not mean YOU specifically. That's all.
    01-04-09 02:46 PM
    This isn't to say that the official OS releases haven't been known to have their issues as well, but the device is no "pos". I can't name a single new or slightly upgraded device initiative by a company that hasn't had issues. Not a single one! If we're going to call something a pos, it should be the state of the software. I don't agree because I'm more than satisfied with my current experience, but how about we lay the blame where it belongs? I thought my screen felt funny and the clicking might not be the best as well, until I got better accustomed to the damn thing. Now I think it's great
    So my device resets several times a day, sometimes in a constant loop for upwards of 10 minutes, and my device hard crashes twice a day, all while sitting untouched, and you think it should be on the market?

The state of the software is part of the state of the device, and RIM should not have released it if it was this poor. What if I'm waiting for an important call and my device dies in my pocket? This is supposed to be a business device...

Furthermore, interesting that you single out users of leaked OSs, because most people tell me to solve my crashing issue by getting a leaked OS, as apparently they're far more stable than the official ones.

Yes, a device going back 5 or 6 times could be unstable users. But in this quantity? More like quality control. Most people take them back because the screen doesn't click as it should. This is a known issue. It was mentioned in every single major review. Yet some work fine, fortunately like mine (which is why I am hesistant to return it despite the crashing.) Obviously people keep returning until they get a screen that clicks well. Apparently this takes a long while.

Sure, yours works wonderfully, but why is it so hard for you to accept, based on what people on this board say, that you got lucky? That you are, at best, the small majority? That the device was released with monumental quality control issues, pushed out the door for a Christmas release, and that several of this issues are hardware related and can never be fixed other than receiving a new unit?
    01-04-09 02:49 PM
    Instead of comparing the buggy storm to the somewhat buggy iphone, why not compare it to the stable BB Curve?

OP, if you spend 5min in this forum, you will see that the storm has a host of bugs and lagginess and clunkiness. If you really want the storm, just wait until these things get resolved.
    01-04-09 02:51 PM
    mine works perfectly
    01-04-09 02:54 PM
    It isn't my intention to discredit those who are having legitimate issues with the device.

There are people here and there that are having such terrible experiences that they feel the device is totally unacceptable and it simply shouldn't be on the market, but many times I see that these same people are using unofficial or leaked OS versions.

Now I understand that people love to test these things out; I'm one of them. But when you encounter issues that are accompanied with an unofficial OS build that your carrier has not thrown their support behind as of yet, how can that be anything other than a user-created problem? Now let me be clear, when I say user-created problem I include myself because I jump all over new and leaked OS versions as well. I've started out thinking they were fantastic only to be hit with surprises later that made me change my tune or I was entirely satisfied with what I upgraded to. However, when I hit those issues, I'm always mindful that I share apart of the blame for trying out unofficial software.

It can't always be the devices fault.

This isn't to say that the official OS releases haven't been known to have their issues as well, but the device is no "pos". I can't name a single new or slightly upgraded device initiative by a company that hasn't had issues. Not a single one! If we're going to call something a pos, it should be the state of the software. I don't agree because I'm more than satisfied with my current experience, but how about we lay the blame where it belongs? A big part of the problem is also the users. That can't be brushed aside. There are legitimate issues that people are having, but then there are overreacting users as well. I thought my screen felt funny and the clicking might not be the best as well, until I got better accustomed to the damn thing. Now I think it's great

Don't think the software can't make a world of difference because improved software has always been known to do just that.

i cant go out on that limb with you blaming beta OS..nope cant do it
    IMHO beta OS are the reason some people still have their storms
    i get that there are growing pains with a new device....
    all i'm saying is RIM or VZW(whoever decided to release the storm at that time) had to know at least half of the reported problems existed
    either that or they need to revamp their testing process
    01-04-09 02:54 PM
    I tried out my nephews iphone over the weekend and the internet is much better than my storms. You can open multiple pages as well on the iphone internet.

IM'ing is much better on the storm and the video playback kicks *** on the storm vs. iphone.
    01-04-09 03:12 PM
    While I'd like to assume a new OS will fix my problems, Verizon isn't offering the new OS. Why? Who knows. But I'm judging the product based on how Verizon offers it.

As for the bugginess of the Storm vs. the bugginess of the iPhone: all the iPhone bugs were software. At least some of the Storm bugs are hardware. I don't think it's comparable, as software can be fixed, hardware can't.
    Iphone had hardware related problems as well. People are painting a very rosey picture of the Iphone's early weeks and months.

Majority of the problems that people are complaining about with the Storm are software related too. If you don't like the typing or think the responsiveness is off, don't underestimate that such a thing is software related and I'm betting it is.

What else do people complain about, dust under the screen? I've never seen that happen to the actual screen and I don't know how one gets dust under the screen. Or do people have screen protectors on and are talking about the dust that gets under those? Dust always gets under those things, I know from experience of trying 4 of them. I've yet to see dust get under the actual screen. Dust never fails to get under those shady screen protectors and I got tired of it so I removed the protector. What other issues are there that are hardware related?

Random restarts are mostly likely 99.9% software related. Freezing? Software Related. Memory leaks? Software Related. Sluggishness? Software related. Majority of the legitimate complaints I've seen can be solved with software. A lot of things that people believe to be hardware related are truly software related. Everyone has to stop underestimating what hardware can fix. A touch screen can go from seeming shoddily built to the most precise thing you have ever seen. There have even been leaked OS versions so far that greatly improve the battery life. One of those things some would think is purely hardware related.

Anyway, my experience has been great and I expect with a few more weeks and months it'll be even better. A lot of the flack the Storm gets currently, in a few months time will blow over. This is how it always is. The people that buy the earliest, usually have the most issues with a device.

giantfan, you can't blame beta OS versions? To that I say say, "houston, I think we've found our problem." To not even be able to admit, even in the slightest, that testing out unofficial OS versions is a part of the problem is bizarre. I've tested them all and have been satisfied. The very first time I've ever experienced any issues on my Storm is when I upgraded to .83 and .85.

I got the media card issue, but I knew how to fix that so it wasn't much of a problem. I got backlight refusing to shut off. I got phone absolutely refusing to turn off, even when it claimed it was about to turn off. I got programs screwing up in ways I've never seen them do. Storm went from 100% reliable to malfunctioning after 24-48 hours. So from my experience, my only issue has come from upgrading to unofficial. It's been perfect now that I've gone back down to the official .75.
    Last edited by Optimusv2; 01-04-09 at 05:04 PM.
    01-04-09 04:56 PM
    Thanks to all for your insight.. i'd like to thank those who gave me their honest opinions about how the phone has progressed since release. I was looking to make sure that the phone is more usable and less buggy than the intial few days proved.

These 3 pages of messages are exactly why 99% of C/B is awesome. we are a truly special group of individuals who come from varying backgrounds which serve to provide different opinions of a situation.

Thanks again!

Sincerely,
    OP
    01-04-09 09:03 PM
    On my first storm, no crashing, no rebooting, no browser slowness, no hardware issues, and both the .76 OS that came with the phone and the leaked .85 run great on my device. Only issue I have at times is a bit of lag, and I've had to do a battery pull a couple of times when it froze, but not recently and not since upgrading to .85.

I
    like it more each day that I use it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-04-09 09:33 PM
36 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD