So, I got to thinking that maybe my phone's memory was getting bogged down from all the apps/browsing/media/etc. I've been putting it through since I got it on Friday (it was getting a hair laggy, not too much but still...).

I have the Mass Storage setting on, and every time I sync my computer lists it as a drive (2, actually-one is the device and one is the memory card). A lightbulb goes on, and I right clicked, went to properties/tools/defragment (on my comp) and it listed both Blackberry drives in the disk defragmenter. Ran it, and HOLY COW it sped things up!

Now, I know the Windows Defragmenter isn't the best out there, so next time the phone starts to slow down I'm going to run one with System Mechanic and see how it goes.

Have fun, folks!
    12-09-08 01:30 AM
    trying this now hope it helps
    12-09-08 01:53 AM
    Didn't make a difference for me but I didn't notice any lagging in the first place.
    12-09-08 01:53 AM
    HHHMMM this is interesting...
    12-09-08 01:54 AM
    ummm surprisingly this actually seems to have reduced my lag noticably. I have a decent amount of stuff on my storm and I think this actually did help speed up the device as a whole.

Wow, nice find.
    12-09-08 01:57 AM
    Never knew that was possible...you learn something new every day. Thanks for the tip icmedia
    12-09-08 02:14 AM
    Glad to help, Reborn. I'm one of those guys who was always editing the registry of my WM device (XV6700) to tweak the heck out of it, so I'm sure I'll find other unorthodox ways of fiddling with the Storm.
    12-09-08 02:31 AM
    hmmm, would defraging really matter on flash memory?

the whole reason defrag works is cause the drive is a mechanical device and has platters and if the stuff is spread on the platters the head has to move more to find it.

there are no platters in flash, so why would defrag do anything?
    12-09-08 03:32 AM
    hmmm, would defraging really matter on flash memory?

the whole reason defrag works is cause the drive is a mechanical device and has platters and if the stuff is spread on the platters the head has to move more to find it.

there are no platters in flash, so why would defrag do anything?
    defrag also makes files contiguous, reading all the bits in a row might help with opening files ...
    12-09-08 06:34 AM
    defrag also makes files contiguous, reading all the bits in a row might help with opening files ...
    anyone else chime in on this? i can see that maybe if they are in a row, it could help a tiny bit. but being flash memory, i just dont know.
    12-09-08 06:35 PM
    I think this helped a little..........
    12-09-08 06:53 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD