Ok, I know that you cant compare this to the iphone, but when comparing OS basics like speed, I think it is fair.

Since I am new to blackberries, I was wondering how much do we really expect the speed of this phone to increase over the next few months. When phones like the Perl and such came out, how much of a performance gain happened over time, or was that just never an issue.

I need to decide today, I'm on day 30, whether I'm sticking with the phone or not and I can, but it just really needs to be snappier.

Anyone who's seen Verizon's commercials or kiosk know their total crap. It literally shows all these screen transitions that don't even exist.

I do like the phone, but Ill beat a dead horse by saying the release was quite premature. So what has been the progression by rim in the past.
    12-22-08 02:18 PM
    Ok, I know that you cant compare this to the iphone, but when comparing OS basics like speed, I think it is fair.

Since I am new to blackberries, I was wondering how much do we really expect the speed of this phone to increase over the next few months. When phones like the Perl and such came out, how much of a performance gain happened over time, or was that just never an issue.

I need to decide today, I'm on day 30, whether I'm sticking with the phone or not and I can, but it just really needs to be snappier.

Anyone who's seen Verizon's commercials or kiosk know their total crap. It literally shows all these screen transitions that don't even exist.

I do like the phone, but Ill beat a dead horse by saying the release was quite premature. So what has been the progression by rim in the past.
    It can only get faster....

If you started with .65 ---> .75 ----> .83, you can easily see a strong progress.

You're right, other devices never really got "faster", they didn't need to...but with the premature device you have in your hand, it has the opportunity to get faster...

Your call.
    12-22-08 02:21 PM
    A non-answer for you: It is a fairly complex device, running on limited power hardware, using an implementation language that is (somewhat) resource intensive. For this, I think it does pretty well.

I expect that as more real world use case data is gathered the performance will be improved. Or, in other words, it will get better.
    12-22-08 02:25 PM
    Either way it will continue to improve. It may take some time but be patient. I have a feeling that eventually this device will be rock solid soon.
    12-22-08 03:01 PM
    I am actually impressed with the speed. When I first got my curve, it was slow as h3ll!!
    12-22-08 03:04 PM
    Once you've used a winmo device you'll realize that the BB OS is not bad at all. I've never used a fast winmo device.
    12-22-08 03:07 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD