so, i ordered the storm nov. 23. received it on dec. 2 with the .65 OS. got fed up with the random restarts and the screen click problem so i went to a store and got a new one. came with .75 loaded on it. this one is perfect.

except, while i charge the phone and make a phone call, within 5 minutes. it goes into speaker phone. i know it's not my face hitting the button, since i pull up the notes before i begin to speak with the person on the other line. i tried multiple wipes, downgraded back to .75 (from .85) and nothing.

and an even bigger problem is, the phone goes into landscape when i go into a call (probably because of the way i hold it). and when it goes into speaker, it won't let me go back to portrait. so the only way to get it off speaker phone is if i end the call then call back. then within 5 minutes of being in the call it will go on speaker phone again.

anyone got any ideas? i feel like this storm is perfect, except for this one bug.
    01-05-09 06:00 PM
    I presume that you mean - "since i pull up the notes before i begin to speak with the person on the other line" - that you are not holding your phone face against shoulder (no handed). I never do that and still was having a problem with the phone going into either speaker phone or muting.

The problem is that the touch of your face on the screen (which will always happen even if you are holding the phone in your hand) highlights either the mute or the speaker phone button. Then any click of the screen activates the button. I can usually feel the screen click multiple times during a call just from my ear pressing against the top part of the screen as I talk.

Go to: TalkLock™ (BETA) Touch Screen Lock for BlackBerry� Storm™ and download the free application. See if this solves your problem.

The only problem some are having with this may be a "memory leak" which causes your memory to decrease over time. If it gets low enough the Storm can get slow/buggy. I personally have not seen this. It is a BETA and has been upgraded at least once to address this.

There is another app "Stormlock" that does the same thing but it is just being beta tested and is not released yet.

Good luck!!
    01-05-09 07:25 PM
    Yep, "TalkLock" is the answer. You're somehow managing to hit the "speaker" option on your screen.
    01-05-09 08:14 PM
    thank you for the responses! should i update to .85 before i download this app? or stay with .83?
    01-05-09 08:31 PM
    I ran talklock with both .83 and now .85.

It works with both but I personally find .85 much more stable in all aspects.

You can request a download as often as you like so you can try in on .83 and if you upgrade reinstall it on the new OS.
    01-06-09 12:02 AM
    Yes, i need to try that "Talklock" thing... the pointiest part of my cheek bone rests perfectly on the Handset/Speaker button while in phone mode and i turn it on to speaker phone all the time.

I let my girlfriend talk to my mom on it as my mom was telling her what she got me for christmas. My girlfriends cheekbone hit it just as my mom was saying what the christmas present was.... i pretended not to hear.
    01-06-09 12:23 AM
    I really can't believe RIM hasn't fixed this yet with a mass detection against the screen. You can put an iPhone next to your arm or complete palm and the screen turns off. I normally don't post such things, but I had to mess with a few iPhones today for work and the users and I were talking about that feature in relation to what the Storm doesn't have. It's so seamless on that device it's not even funny.
    01-06-09 12:46 AM
    There are a few missing features, IMHO

1) Being able to relock. Let's say I'm dialing voice mail or something
    2) Lock timing. Often times when dialing voice mail, I think it's unlocked, but as soon as I touch the screen to navigate to the dialer, I get locked out. It's a pain.

TheWitness
    01-07-09 01:54 PM
    The TalkLock App is great. Solved all my problems when talking on the phone (Hated that thing going to speaker in quiet places)....funny thing before i installed it, I was at school studying for finals inside the library and it went to speaker when i got a phone call...pretty embarrassing if you ask me!

DL it, you can't go wrong; the only problem I have with it is when you slide the bar to release the screeen to access something (contacts, SMS, etc) I couldn't figure out a way to re-enable it during a call.
    01-07-09 04:48 PM
    iv'e downloaded talklock for the storm and have version .109 for the 9530 and i'm still having the speaker phone problem. every now and then when im on the phone, the speaker phone will randomly turn on and ill have to slide the bar on the talklock and enable it again. any one have any ideas on how to resolve this problem.
    03-12-09 10:06 PM
    I have the same problem and like you I know its not from my face hitting the screen because I hold the phone away from my face and ear slightly. Also when it goes on speaker I hold the phone away from my face even farther and after a few minutes it automatically goes back to regular hand held mode. Its soo annoying and frustrating.
    05-27-09 01:28 PM
    There are a number of different screen locking programs now.

ScreenLock. StormLocker. etc.
    05-27-09 01:47 PM
    I believe it is not from your face clicking the screen. I have the same problem. When you turn the phone in landscape view while on a call, it goes to speaker. And the screen looks like an incoming call from the original precision theme. For me it has happened randomly since upgrading to a leaked OS. This is a problem if you are on a private conversation

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-27-09 01:57 PM
    I also have had the same problem, but ONLY while using the phone when it is plugged into the charger. If it is charging it appears to randomly change from speaker to handset. But not while not plugged in. Since I stopped using the phone while plugged in, I haven't had the problem.
    05-27-09 03:17 PM
    I have the same problem and like you I know its not from my face hitting the screen because I hold the phone away from my face and ear slightly. Also when it goes on speaker I hold the phone away from my face even farther and after a few minutes it automatically goes back to regular hand held mode. Its soo annoying and frustrating.
    True. It is not related to pressing the screen (although that can cause it too) I have ScreenLock and have experienced this multiple times. I believe it has to do with going to landscape mode as well. Absolutely nothing on this phone works correctly, not even the phone part.

Edit: Just read eamorris' post, and I think he/she's right. I think all my problems existed while it was charging.
    Last edited by jlawler4; 05-27-09 at 08:20 PM. Reason: later post
    05-27-09 08:18 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD