Hi, I'm new to the Blackberry and I'm trying to make a single sound profile for when my device is in the Blackberry holster vs. when it is out of the holster. It seems as though it would be easy to make 2 separate profiles, but ideally I wouldn't change it.

In holster - Vibrate on phone calls, txt messages, and voicemails, no other notifications.

Out of Holster - Vibrate 3 times, then ring on phone calls, vibrate on txt messages and voicemails, no other notifications.

Can anyone help me with this? Thanks very much.
    11-24-08 01:22 PM
    Depends what holster you have .. if its a oem blackberry holster it will go into standby mode and make no sounds . out of holster this is easy just go to sounds and notifacations and create two custom sounds profiles .
    11-24-08 01:28 PM
    Hi, I'm new to the Blackberry and I'm trying to make a single sound profile for when my device is in the Blackberry holster vs. when it is out of the holster. It seems as though it would be easy to make 2 separate profiles, but ideally I wouldn't change it.

In holster - Vibrate on phone calls, txt messages, and voicemails, no other notifications.

Out of Holster - Vibrate 3 times, then ring on phone calls, vibrate on txt messages and voicemails, no other notifications.

Can anyone help me with this? Thanks very much.
    Ok I just posted an issue with this, I am using a blackberry holster with the sleeper magnet in it which does indeed put the phone to sleep but I get a vibe then ring while in the holster. All settings are set to no sound in holster vibe only so I am looking to see if anyone else is having this issue.
    11-24-08 01:35 PM
    I have this thing:

RIM8330CAS

They explained that it had some magnetic thing in it that will help save battery life. When I tested calling myself with it inside the holster, it still uses the same profile as it does when outside. What are my options to have one single profile?
    11-24-08 01:35 PM
    Ok I just posted an issue with this, I am using a blackberry holster with the sleeper magnet in it which does indeed put the phone to sleep but I get a vibe then ring while in the holster. All settings are set to no sound in holster vibe only so I am looking to see if anyone else is having this issue.
    Agreed. Is there a place where you specifically set the holster rules that would override the sound profile?
    Last edited by jeffreysmills; 11-24-08 at 01:39 PM.
    11-24-08 01:36 PM
    Agreed. Is there a place where you specifically set the holster rules that would override the sound profile?
    Apparently it is a known issue see this thread:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f86/vib...olster-101738/
    11-24-08 02:59 PM
    I'm not new to Blackberrys, but this exact thing is one of the things that I found annoying with the Storm. On my Curve, I clicked Advanced settings, edited the "normal" profile. Then 2 sections appear. In-Holster and Out. It seems that the Storm's OS just COMPLETELY left that feature out. I have my curve setup to ring at the low setting out of the holster, and ring on the high setting when IN the holster. Having to create 2 custom profiles and have to manually change them each time I take the phone out of, or into the holster....I just found this ridiculous. If there was some iron clad proof that this was an oversight by RIM, and would be adressed in a future update, I might be willing to give the storm another shot. I realize there's a learning curve with this device, and I was willing to learn to type on the thing. But then I got to thinking, if they left that particular feature out of the sound profiles...what else was left out? Before I get flamed....that was not the only reason I decided to go back to a Curve. I had other reasons.
    Last edited by efn77mx; 11-24-08 at 11:24 PM. Reason: left out vital info
    11-24-08 11:21 PM
    Tone must be set to Mute on the In-Holster profile choice for Volume. Either that or change the choice to Viabrate rather then Viabrate+Ring.
    11-24-08 11:55 PM
    OK... I am a total Blackberry equipment terminology DUMMY and I just want to know what a "Holster" is. I have experienced a couple issues with my ringing functions because of whether or not I set my sound function in or out of the holster.

All I want to have my Storm do is to have it ring when a call comes in and vibrate at the same time. And probably without the holster since the green plastic thingie I bought from Verizon is probably not considered to be a holster.

...but just by chance- can someone describe or point out a holster to me (and what's with this sleeper magnet thing?) through a direct link? I'm utterly fascinated!
    11-25-08 12:06 AM
    OK... I am a total Blackberry equipment terminology DUMMY and I just want to know what a "Holster" is. I have experienced a couple issues with my ringing functions because of whether or not I set my sound function in or out of the holster.

All I want to have my Storm do is to have it ring when a call comes in and vibrate at the same time. And probably without the holster since the green plastic thingie I bought from Verizon is probably not considered to be a holster.

...but just by chance- can someone describe or point out a holster to me (and what's with this sleeper magnet thing?) through a direct link? I'm utterly fascinated!
    The holster would either be a pouch, or a plastic case that the phone sits in which you can clip to your belt The Blackberry accessories have a magnet within them that puts the phone into sleep mode to conserve battery power.
    On previous devices, putting the phone into a holster would automatically activate the holster settings of a sound profile, once they've been set.
    11-25-08 08:42 AM
    Tone must be set to Mute on the In-Holster profile choice for Volume. Either that or change the choice to Viabrate rather then Viabrate+Ring.
    Sound in holster set to no, vibration in holster only set to yes, and there is no vibe+ring option on the storm.

The phone is "seeing" the fact that it is in the holster because it does not vibrate out of the holster, its just that it rings also in the holster after it vibes.
    11-25-08 08:52 AM
    The holster would either be a pouch, or a plastic case that the phone sits in which you can clip to your belt The Blackberry accessories have a magnet within them that puts the phone into sleep mode to conserve battery power.
    On previous devices, putting the phone into a holster would automatically activate the holster settings of a sound profile, once they've been set.
    RIM manufactures BB specific belt holsters or pouches without clips for ladies to use in their purse. These holsters and pouches have a small magnet inside the side of it that send a BB inserted into them into Standby mode.

These are the only ones that properly work for this function and others like the plastic cases with belt clips do no such thing. Just FYI.
    11-25-08 09:54 AM
    Sound in holster set to no, vibration in holster only set to yes, and there is no vibe+ring option on the storm.

The phone is "seeing" the fact that it is in the holster because it does not vibrate out of the holster, its just that it rings also in the holster after it vibes.
    I thought I saw it on mine. I know all my profiles carried over when I restored from my old BB, so I never checked any further. Too late to check now, it went back.
    11-25-08 09:55 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD