I'm new tto this forum, but since I got my 9530 a couple of weeks ago, I think I've read every thread on this entire forum. I also put that reading to good use and have a very smooth running, very fast, never lagging and no memory problems Storm 9530 which I am very pleased with.

That being said I have several general observations that I have gained from my own experience and from reviewing the forum and threads.

First observation: Every Storm has it's own distinct personality. Both my 9530 and my wife's 9500 are sweethearts, running a hybrid OS (and it isn't "shrunk" it's more or less pre-shrunk, no extra language support unless you chose to install one, no extras at all unless you chose them). Other Storms are apparently pure evil.....though I suspect they are good deep in their hearts, you just have to provide them what they need to bring out the goodness....

Second: As far as memory problems go, I seem to see the same complaints over and over again. Here are some tips which have worked for me. Not only do I have a large quantity of apps on my phone, but I leave BBM and YM running all the time along with weatherbug. I also frequently use Google maps / BBMaps. I run the .509 hybrid and the "Berry Smooth" theme (which I found on this site) with my own custom wallpapers. I also have the music player running most of the time as the phone has now replaced my iPod. I only have one additional language installed besides English. I play higher end games on mine like Hero of Sparta and Wolfenstein and have no problems except they do a number on battery life. We keep a spare battery on a charger at all times...lol..

Tips: Get ControlBBanel. It's a multi-purpose app that recovers memory, clears the event log and can reset your phone just like quick pull. This one app replaced quickpull, memoryup and I no longer have to go through the rigamarole of clearing the event log. It also does a few other things, but you'll have to get the proggie to find out :-)

Always clear your browser cache and history before closing it. Just like on your comp, clearing the cache and history will not only free up memory, but will make it browse faster. I clear mine frequently while browsing (I use Opera mini 5). Clear out cookies while you are at it. Storing cookies eats up memory too.

When you install new programs, install them one at a time with a reset inbetween each installation. Not just the reset that DM does, but either a physical battery pull or quickpull or ControlBBanel reset. I've noticed that installing one program at a time versus installing multiple programs at the same time makes a big difference in performance. I don't get the missing icon problem or other problems such as the program not functioning properly. When uninstalling programs you can uninstall multiple programs without any problem, but always use DM for uninstalling, don't use the "delete" function of the phone.

Find an OS or hybrid that works for you and stick with it......it's the old adage, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Keep only one or two themes on your phone at any given time. I keep only the Berry Smooth and the original Zen, though I have a ton of pics I use as wall paper they are stored on the media card and have no effect on app memory.

The biggest tip I can give is to search this forum! I can't emphasize that enough. For every new post I see here I can do a search and find that the answer has already been posted somewhere. Learn to use DM properly, learn about hybrids, follow the tips. There are also good tips on Youtube. Seriously. Since my wife got her first 9500 two months ago (it met an early demise when dropped in a stairwell) and her second 9500 and my recent purchase of the 9530, I've gone from a guy that paid to have her first 9500 recovered when it bricked (the comp crashed while she was loading an app) to someone that has bricked the phones in every conceivable way and no longer battted an eye, just recovered and moved on, to now having two superbly operating units. My wife and I have different apps and different themes on our phones, our screens are tweaked differently to our individual "clicking" tastes, not too mention different languages, but both run great.

The last tip......patience.....read everything here that you can, take the time to absorb it.....don't panic the answer is here somewhere....follow the instructions implicitly.
    03-26-10 11:26 AM
    Well said.

The Storm does have a personality of its own - but knowing how to deal with all the quirks is what makes my Storm so loveable.

As you stated, the most important qualities a successful Storm owner must have are the abilities to READ and Follow Directions!
    03-26-10 12:49 PM
    Pretty good post tridsman
    03-26-10 02:14 PM
    I've had my Storm 9530 since August. I rarely have an App Memory total above *6*. There are many "apps" I'd like to delete but don't see a "delete" option when I open it and go to the menu. I also can't figure out how to clear the cache. What am I missing here?
    05-09-10 10:46 AM
    I've had my Storm 9530 since August. I rarely have an App Memory total above *6*. There are many "apps" I'd like to delete but don't see a "delete" option when I open it and go to the menu. I also can't figure out how to clear the cache. What am I missing here?
    To uninstall a program:

Options --> highlight the one you want to delete --> click the red X at the bottom of the screen.

To clear the browser cache:

With the browser open --> BB key --> Options --> Cache operations --> Clear. (You can also clear history and cookies on the same screen.)
    05-09-10 07:31 PM
    If you mean things that were on the phone like Instant Messengers, Flickr, Social Beat, loaded Verizon apps, etc. Those are simply launchers if you'd like to download them and unfortunately can't be removed. The choice is to simply hide them if you're not using them. Anything else can be removed in the method above my post (it's options --> applications jsyk). Also, make sure that you're closing everything using blackberry key --> close when you are done, as I find that leaving things running tends to suck up memory.
    05-10-10 08:05 AM
    I'm new tto this forum, but since I got my 9530 a couple of weeks ago, I think I've read every thread on this entire forum. I also put that reading to good use and have a very smooth running, very fast, never lagging and no memory problems Storm 9530 which I am very pleased with.
    If you read every thread on this site then you would take that 9530 back while you still can!

And forget about trying to convince anyone that they need to go buy some miraculous application so they can have a Storm that will run applications and themes with no problem!
    05-10-10 11:59 AM
    If you read every thread on this site then you would take that 9530 back while you still can!

And forget about trying to convince anyone that they need to go buy some miraculous application so they can have a Storm that will run applications and themes with no problem!
    Wow...this is the second thread in a row that I have read where you just trash the Storm. I read this all the time, and it is getting old. Sure there are some annoying things with the Storm, but overall I love mine. These forums have really helped me out. I like tweaking my phone to my likes, and I will predict that if/when the Storm 3 comes out, I will get one.( I skipped the 2...too much cash for the upgrade gain in my opinion. Especially at Bell's rates.)

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-10-10 12:24 PM
    Thanks for sharing your experience. To read your post, I learn something.
    05-11-10 06:13 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD