I was tired of the 5 second delay when switching from landscape to portrait and back when viewing pictures on my storm. It would lag so much that it would freeze sometimes for 20+ seconds rendering it virtually unusable to show others my pictures. So I figured that instead of just loading the pictures directly onto the phone, I would first decrease the size. I reduced the size of all of my high resolution pictures to 640x480 which was a preset for the program I used and set the quality to high. This decreased the size of each image from 2.3mb on average to 120kb, making the total of 90 images to about 16mb!. By doing this the images look just as clear as the 6MP images I had on it before on the storms screen. A decrease in picture quality is only visible when you zoom in. The pictures now switch from portrait to landscape in under a second and there is no lag when swiping through images. I used a program only available for mac to shrink the images however I know that there are several out there available for PC. If you are a mac user and youre interested in doing this, go to download.com and search free photo converter 3.5. It is free and works great. I have tested on .75 and .83. Works just as well on both OS'.

Here is a video of my bb in action after reducing picture size. Please excuse the quality as it was recorded using my macbooks built in camera. Movie4.flv - Video - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
    Last edited by p911sc; 12-20-08 at 03:32 AM.
    12-20-08 03:02 AM
    good find .. but with .83 and even .75 i noticed zero lag with the pictures .
    12-20-08 03:32 AM
    I guess it depends on the initial size of the pictures. My pictures were taken with a digital SLR and were very large files. The differences has been night and day.
    12-20-08 03:36 AM
    I also have the same problem, and I have say that what you've find is a good solution but isn't normal! We shoudn't have to do all this to have a phone working properly...

I got a question: Is the storm's processor faster than the iphone's one?
    If yes do you think the future updates will make the storm as fast as the apple's toy?
    12-20-08 06:07 AM
    I also have the same problem, and I have say that what you've find is a good solution but isn't normal! We shoudn't have to do all this to have a phone working properly...

I got a question: Is the storm's processor faster than the iphone's one?
    If yes do you think the future updates will make the storm as fast as the apple's toy?
    The reason I got this idea is because when I would transfer pictures to my iphone through itunes, it would automatically reduce the picture quality to the resolution of the phone, which is probably why it ran so smooth.
    12-20-08 02:06 PM
    :\ i hate reducing the quality of my photos... idk i just like having high-res/HD photos at max resolution lol. 10MP photos on Storm lol.
    12-20-08 02:12 PM
    Microsoft has a free resize utility. I noticed the same thing when transfering pictures from my Canon 8 MP.

https://forums.crackberry.com/e?link...token=ThHlYSTu
    12-20-08 02:16 PM
    lol @ the "program only available to mac" to resize the pictures

lmao
    12-20-08 02:42 PM
    lol @ the "program only available to mac" to resize the pictures

lmao
    yes, the developer of the program I used only makes mac osx software, how is that funny?
    12-20-08 09:12 PM
    I find Picasa (free from Google) works well. You can bulk select photos that you want to have on the Storm and bulk resize them to 480x360. This is if you don't care about zooming in a high rez photo while on the Storm.
    12-20-08 09:19 PM
    yea Picasa works well
    12-20-08 09:45 PM
    I batch downsize all the pics I put on my memory card....it sucks trying to show people pics when they take 10 seconds to load. With the resized pics they load instantly and the slideshows are nice and smooth.
    12-20-08 09:55 PM
    p911sc, nice vacation photos
    12-20-08 10:02 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD